Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BBC SPONSOR

Remote Drain Plug

Have any of you all installed a remote drain plug on an XB21? If so, do you like it and how did you get the brass one out to install the remote?
    Thanks
    Chris Conley
    Internet Sales Mgr.
    Anglers Outpost & Marine
    http://www.anglersoutpost.com
    859-421-3038

2. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    This was just covered a short time ago. I'll try to search it and see what comes up.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

4. Member
    yup...couldn't find it
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Will mention to Darris what a nice upgrade that would be when I pick the new boat up.
    I never pulled my plug because it's a PIA on hot pavement. That's all changed now with the zebra muscles. New Mex. will give you a $500.00 fine if they catch you on the road with a plug.

6. Member
    Let me know how that conversation goes Mike!!!
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    Let me know how that conversation goes Mike!!!
    In the twenty years I've dealt with Allison: Darris has seemed to soften just a little.. It's best to present these things in a way so they can be his idea. Also good if you get Nancy on board first..

8. Member
    Getting the Mrs. on board first is always a good thing. At one rally a few years ago I had my boat at the factory a few days before the rally started to have a few scratches fixed. I asked Darryl while he's at it if he minded installing the flo rite remote drain plug thru the bilge hole and I'll do the finished up stuff with the actuator. He needed me to speak to...Mr. Allison first. He came on over to the shop with one in hand that he had on his desk for years............................................. ........... I installed it myself when I got home from the rally.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

If he's had one on his desk, then the wheels are turning... I figure some day Darris will come out with his own (improved) version.
    I figure it will be on my list of things To-Do.

10. Member
    If he's had one on his desk as long as he said he did then the wheels fell off!!

And that wasn't a knock on Mr. Allison either. He explained his theory of being able to open and close it with a lever type device (all metal parts-no cables or weak plastic controls) while on the water and even possibly running if need be. He didn't like the plastic parts at all for something as important as a bilge plug. I know I won't open and close mine while on the water no way. I like it, I use it, I attend to it with regular cleaning and lubricating while sitting on the trailer in my warehouse.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

11. Member
    Installed the remote drain on mine. Really like the convenience. X2 on the maintenance, keep it clean and lubricated.
    Carte's Custom

12. Member
    I just made a rod out of some 1/2" tubing to install / remove the manual plug. No more crawling under the boat.

13. Member
    now that's a dam good idea.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Did you just notch the end?

Got a pic you could share? I like this idea.

thanks-
    MET/ XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite - 300xs

15. Member
    That is a great idea! Seems like you will still have to take a knee to stab the hole. Maybe for some youngsters that is no issue. All of us at some point in time get to pull our boats in the rain. Going to the lake I will have my drain plug in so I don’t forget to install before launching...guilty! If you ever experience pulling a boat with the drain plug in while driving in a rain storm only to realize your trailer tires are bulging out the side walls, you can’t stop and it seems like your vehicle needs a tune up...that boat/trailer now weights x4 full of rain water...if you own a boat long enough you have probably can relate. So easy to pull over, through the lever to open the drain, even in the pouring rain. I wish the live well and ice chest had remote drain plugs.
    Carte's Custom

Hope your extension rod works better than mine.. I made two different ones that wound up being more of a pain than a help.
    If your tall - still have to get down in a 3 point stance.. About half the time the plug fell out of the rod either before or after insertion. The other half of the time the whole thing would turn and still had to get both hands on it to tighten up.
    The extension will work ok on most boats --- most boats dont have the drain plug located 2.5' from the transom..

17. Member
    I will take a pic or two and post them.

18. Member
    Plug Rod.jpg
    If you can imagine, 2 L shaped slots, slightly larger than the cross pin on the plug. The long part of the L's slip onto the plug shaft, and when you unscrew it, the cross pin slips into the short part of the L's so you can pull it out of the drain hole.
    Last edited by jjbraud; 06-24-2019 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Add Pic

19. Member
    pretty freakn cool. Almost remind me of the pump handle on my engine hoist that is used to release the hydraulic and drop the hoist
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Thanks for the info and the pic. I can try and make one or lose 40 pounds and make bending over easier.........
    Yep- hardware store for sure........maybe Burger King on the way back from Home Depot.

thanks again- MET
    MET/ XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite - 300xs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast