1997 Johnson Fast Strike 150 GLEUC Weak Stream

Noticed my new to me outboard has a weak pee stream on the muffs and it doesnt look much better while on the lake. Not sure if the water pressure gauge is correct but it says it has 10psi WOT on the lake. No jackplate so the motor should be plenty in the water. Pulled the thermostats and they had a little trash in them. I installed a new water pump today and while on the hose the stream looks similar to what it did before i changed the pump (Housing and all). This is the third intruder/fast strike I have owned and they both had way more pressure coming out than this one does. This one has the black plastic looking inserts on the screens, I don't remember either of the others having these on it. While on the lake I did not get any overheat alarms, though it is a small lake and my longest run was probably 2 miles.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You can remove the tell tale from the exhaust and check for debris inside of it. You can also start it with it removed to blow out any junk in there. You can also remove the Tstat caps and Tstats are run the motor to blow out any debris. It is always best to run in a tank so you can tell if the pump is drawing water and not being forced by the hose. You can also attach the hose to the tell tale port and back flush it. What is the part number of the water pump kit you installed?

3. Member

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    That is the correct pump kit. You may want to try the optional Hi Flow water intakes for your lower.

5. Member
    i'm worried I either didn't get the key on there correctly or maybe didn't get the fins in the right direction though I read they should adjust themselves. If the high flow intakes are the black plastic screens, they may already be installed.

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You can remove one and check the part number on the inside there are 3 types.

Besides the brown O ring did you have any parts left over?

7. Member
    No only thing left over was the o-ring.

8. Member
    I pulled the tstats and turned it on to let it run. I never got water out those ports but was scared to let it run too long. Put new tstats i, the others looked well worn. Pulled the lower unit off again and hooked the hose up to the telltale and got a full stream out the intake tube. Pulled the water pump and put all that back together again to ease my mind about everything being correctly installed there. Put it all back together and hooked it back up to the hose. Got what seemed to be a better stream than the first time, it was more solid and less of a spray. Still not totally sold on it and need to take it to the lake and let it run. How much more water would the hi flow intakes get me? Looks like that may be the only option I have.

9. Member
    Pretty sure there is a blockage. Very little water on the thermostats and no water coming out of there with the thermostats removed. Any good way to push the blockage out?

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Without pulling the head off, about the only thing you can do is pull the Tstats back out, remove the lower and pull the tell tale out. Slide a hose up the water tube and turn the hose on full blast. Run it for at least 10 minutes without the motor running. Water should come out from all three areas.