115 4 stroke reverse has no throttle

Ive got a 2014 115 4 stroke, went fishing with the kids the other day and when trying to trailer the boat I could Shift into reverse but as soon as it went into gear the control felt as if it “hit a wall” and would not let me give it any throttle. I gave It some pressure but the handle was bending slightly so I didnt Try again. Took the cowling off of the motor and did not see any physical reason it wouldn’t let me give it gas, I may have looked over something of course. The kids were all over the back of the boat trying to “drive” and I know My son shifted it into the forward position while I was trolling so he was messing with the controls just not sure what he could have done or if it was even him. If anyone has had this issue I’d appreciate any advice.

serial number is 2B071490
    Last edited by Juggz29; 06-18-2019 at 05:42 PM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

Do you have a HOTFOOT, or only a Hand-Throttle?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Sorry about that, posted in a hurry and didn’t read announcements like I should have. It is a hand throttle.
    Last edited by Juggz29; 06-14-2019 at 07:31 PM.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Be sure to provide serial number.

Good starting point is to disconnect throttle cable from engine, repeat and see if you get motion on the throttle cable in REVERSE. Sometimes it is as simple as a maladjusted cable (if one cable is set with the barrel too close to the traveling end, they can bind and prevent movement of the other cable).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Sorry I didn’t realize my edit wasn’t saved. It is saved now, I’ll check into it tomorrow while I’m off work and see what happens