Vessel View Mobile and Systemonitor Gauge

Have a quick question on how to setup my new vessel view mobile. I have a 2008 Mercury Pro XS 260 (1B541205) that I purchased a new vessel view for over the winter. I also have a Systemonitor gauge which gives me basic engine data on the dash. Question is can i simply disconnect the Systemonitor cable and replace it with the Vessel View cable and reconnect to Systemonitor to the open connector so I can still use the gauge?? Or do I need to contact Don and get the terminating resistor cap??

Thanks in advance.

ROB

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Rob- Is the harness plugged into the back of your System Monitor BLUE with a Yellow Band at the Gauge End (or is it a black harness).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Don - Looks like it is the Blue cable with the yellow "Termination Resistor on this End" band on both ends (engine and gauge). Attached is Engine side picture.

Hope that helps. Appreciate the help!!

ROB

Blue Cable.JPG

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    While not a "Standard" method of installation, <EDIT>- This would plug in, but NOT FUNCTION. See Post# 6 for alternatives.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 06-25-2019 at 09:13 AM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Don - thanks again for the input.

Hello Rob,

If you have not found out by now, you will notice that you wont be able run the System Monitor gauge off of the VesselView Mobile harness. The reason for this is the pigtail on the module only has the wiring for the CAN networks but does not have a red/purple/black, so it does not carry any power through the pigtail to power anything up. However, there are a few ways you can still use both at the helm. You will need to purchase a junction box and another harness of sorts. You can run the blue CAN cable to the junction box and plug the VVM module into the box as well. This is going to leave an issue of a male connector left on the System Monitor and a male port on the junction box. While not a typical solution, it is a cheap one that works, here you can just use a male to male adapter to bridge this gap. The downfall for some is the male to male adapter is approximately 5-6" long so your junction box would need to be very close to System Monitor gauge. Other options would be a bit more expensive and would be either a SC1000 tachometer harness or another CAN cable, this one without resistors. If you would like some diagrams or layouts feel free to message our VesselView Mobile support line at support.vvm@mercmarine.com. A Mercury dealer such as European Marine can help you source all of these parts for a complete installation.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Thanks for the updated info.