So is a HDS "LIVE" unit really worth it over the carbon???

I have run across some great deals for some Lowrance "Live" units and I was thinking about upgrading. Its my understanding that the latest greatest transducer/box LIVESIGHT that makes it live really isn't out yet. So with that being said, is the "Live" really that much better in screen, clarity and processor power then the Carbon? Also what benefit would the "Live" unit give you at the console with scanning? I understand at the bow with the trolling motor, but not sure at the helm.

Need some quick input. I gotta jump on these deals quick if im gonna get them.
    --------------------------------------------
    Phillip Arrington
    Dover/Goodlettsville Tn

2017 Sponsoring Partners:
    C&O Marine, Mercury Marine, Goodlettsville Gun Shop, Cantrell's Market, Motorguide , YETI, Carrot Stix, Yum, GateWay Tire Service Center, StormR, SpoolTek, RodSox, Jewel Bait Company, U.S. Bass, Bobs Machine Shop, Lazyman Hooks, FishBum, Bass Militia, Rayus, and Jenko Fishing.

1999 Triton TR-21PD
    Mercury 300R

2. Banned
    The screen alone is worth it IMO, much easier to see at angles and with glasses on.

3. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    Live is faster. But...if I already had a Carbon and it was working fine...it would be a close call.... as both will do AI.

Livesight...well...lets just say that isn't a reason to upgrade either....a least in its current form....<LOL>. Maybe the next version of it.... but even with the Live, a V2 will likely require an external module... as it will be more than a transducer change to get to the higher frequencies needed.

Unfortunately there is a tendency to blame the engineering/dev team but we really have no idea what constraints were being placed on them around LiveSight - legal and otherwise.

Just MHO...

Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    The screen alone is worth it IMO, much easier to see at angles and with glasses on.

With my Carbon I experience the same thing. As a matter of fact, last time I was out the fisherman that was with me noticed the same thing. First time he had seen a Carbon in action. His reply was, so much easier to see...you don't have to be in front of it.

Quad-Core vs. Dual-Core on the Carbon. (Processing speed)
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    O blood and water which gush forth from the heart of Jesus, have mercy on us
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drifter106 View Post
    With my Carbon I experience the same thing. As a matter of fact, last time I was out the fisherman that was with me noticed the same thing. First time he had seen a Carbon in action. His reply was, so much easier to see...you don't have to be in front of it.

Quad-Core vs. Dual-Core on the Carbon. (Processing speed)
    Just remember, quad-core will take twice the battery to power it.
    2015 Ranger Z118C w/150 Mercury 4s

6. Member
    Carbon is great

7. Member
    Both the Lives and Carbons have the better screens with good viewing angles, in sunlight, with sunglasses/polaroids on - compared Gen3 and older.
    For my money the Carbon does everything I need and is fast enough, so the extra processing power makes no difference.
    I'm pretty sure the Carbons are slightly smaller for the same screen size if space is tight.
    The Lives flat glass screens are much easier to clean, but more reflective than Carbons.
    I recently bought a new Carbon 7 on clearance for $900 (the Live 7 was $1300). If money is not object, the choice is easy.
    Last edited by wetaline2; 06-13-2019 at 01:01 AM.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjcorpst View Post
    Just remember, quad-core will take twice the battery to power it.
    According to Lowrance specs

HDS Carbon 12 typical - 26 watts

HDS Live 12 typical - 29.9 watts

9. Member
    Nope, not worth it $$$ for a live. Get an even better deal on a carbon and wait a year or two for them to work on livesight. But you get a good laugh at Lowrance's puffing marketing commercials.
    Solix 12 Gen2 Mega+ SI, Helix 7 DI G3, Helix 10 G3N SI +, Helix 9 G3N SI +.
    Upgraded to Mega imaging from a HDS-12 Carbon

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GLOCKMEISTER View Post
    I have run across some great deals for some Lowrance "Live" units and I was thinking about upgrading. Its my understanding that the latest greatest transducer/box LIVESIGHT that makes it live really isn't out yet. So with that being said, is the "Live" really that much better in screen, clarity and processor power then the Carbon? Also what benefit would the "Live" unit give you at the console with scanning? I understand at the bow with the trolling motor, but not sure at the helm.

Need some quick input. I gotta jump on these deals quick if im gonna get them.
    I'd base the decision on how good the deal is, If you can sell your old units to make up a good portion of the difference, go for it. At full retail I don't think it would make sense. Also on the processors, The HDS live 12 does have a quad core, but the 7 and 9 have dual core. The touch screen on the live units are fantastic, very responsive and very crisp clear images. Is this going to make you catch more fish? Probably not, but if your like me and you like playing with tech toys, its very satisfying