Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Angry Solix Has 89 Global Settings WTH?

I Had to restore defaults AGAIN after the console 10” kept locking up and Bow 12” GPS stopped functioning and I found half the globals where back on as well as some auto config setting I turned off

So I had to go through the tedious task of restoring defaults and configuring a new network and counted up all the Global setting on a fresh install – 1 global map, 1 master global and 87 individual page globals

This does not include any settings on custom pages I create and the fact that I have 2 units (Total of 192 Global setting for my setup) I have to change

THIS IS INSAINE!

It takes enough time as it is to configure a new network without having to deal with all these global settings

People including myself has been asking for more than 2 years (since the solix was released) for a true MASTER GLOBAL setting or page

All I want is the two units to share waypoints and once and a while be able to view the map card on the other unit other than that I do not want to force/share any other settings or configurations

I use different sonar frequencies, sensitivity, contrast, offsets as well as different chart settings, maps and overlays on each unit

I just want maps and waypoints how do I achieve this? What a pain in the A$$
    "The handicapped angler"

A quick calculation starting on the home page you need to touch the screen, push a button or scroll 394 times just to turn off the 87 individual page globals on a fresh install of one unit

850 if you have two units and 2 custom pages like I do

All of this could be accomplished 100 times quicker with a small amount of coding in the program

Yet two plus years later Humminbird has felt no need to address this issue
    "The handicapped angler"

3. Member
    Get a Helix and a map card for it. Are you saying you save your settings and still have hundreds of things to restore? Maybe just take the ethernet cable off one. and update your waypoints at the end of the day. I don't have 2 Solix units.(Onix and Solix) Sounds like what you are doing is more trouble than it's worth. Bob

I agree its more trouble than it’s worth

But besides wanting to be able to mark a waypoint on one and instantly see it on the other I have a Navionics card in one and a HB select in the other and once and a while I like to see what the other card shows for a particular area of the lake

I would also like to avoid buying a second GPS/HS antenna

But at this point I’ve decided that when (Not if) they start acting up again I’m going to run each unit independently with only the bow unit connected to the Ultrex and no ethernet switch

Its just a shame that the units can’t do a couple tasks without all the overdesigned that could be fixed with just a couple lines of code especially since people have been asking for this for over two years

And I’m sorry if your answer is to buy another unit I can say without hesitation it Wouldn’t be a bird
    "The handicapped angler"

So we started turning off all the global and automatic settings to fix problems we were having a few releases back. Has anyone tried just leaving them alone now and see if the latest releases have fixed the issues we were turning the globals and automatic settings off to fix?

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    So we started turning off all the global and automatic settings to fix problems we were having a few releases back. Has anyone tried just leaving them alone now and see if the latest releases have fixed the issues we were turning the globals and automatic settings off to fix?
    I turn off all globals so any adjustments do not effect other views or units.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    It only takes about 15 minutes to completely setup a solix. That’s recreating your custom views and everything.

I leave a lot more auto configs on these days because of the updates but as Wayne stated I also turn off all the globals because I don’t want an adjustment on one unit to force a change on the other

My two units have much different setups than each other and have different maps, chart settings, overlays, frequencies and arrival settings

I setup the console unit to idle searching for structure and/or fish or navigate at high speeds from one spot to another which require a much different map, navigation and arrival setup and uses the lower band of frequencies then the bow unit that is setup to navigate with the Ultrex that requires a separate navigation and arrival settings as well as using the higher band of frequencies to see as much as possible while fishing

Leaving the globals on would and does cause all kinds of problems between the two units

I use a Navionics chart at the console to navigate St Clair because it has more information for navigation and is a better representation of the lake I also have the chart overlay and data setup for this type of use

I use the HB select chart on the bow only because you can zoom in closer than the Navionics allowing me to get tighter to a spot but I’m thinking since the update with a base map I may just use the base map in the future because I rarely zoom out more than 500 feet on the bow unit

A normal setup time for me is an hour to an hour and a half and most of that is spent turning off globals and that’s only because I’ve done it enough to get proficient at it

If there were a master global control or page I wouldn’t be opposed to doing a restore while on the lake because it would only take a half hour at most to adjust most of my settings

I’ve talked to a couple of people close to HB and after hearing my needs and reason for my setups they agree turning off all the globals is best for me They also suggest as I hear a lot I’m unique but if that’s the case why do so many other ask for this option I guess in this case I’m not so unique after all

I’m sure there are plenty of people that think using globals is a great thing but there needs to be a better way to control "89" identical settings for the people like me that can’t use this feature because we ask more out our units then to be a couple of clones

I just want to share waypoints, maps and a heading sensor "Nothing Else"
    Last edited by MichAngler; 06-13-2019 at 11:22 AM.
    "The handicapped angler"

The easiest fix would be to change one word in the software coding from True to False so when the software code checks to see if the globals should be on it tells the system to turn them off

A simple one word change in the code could fix a lot of peoples issues
    "The handicapped angler"

10. Member
    As someone who works in IT, that 'simple code' may require an entire rewrite of the OS. More likely there are default values for each entry that would have to be adjusted, and the system may be designed to check that those are in a default state at initial startup. Without those checks you may experience unexpected output.

You're always welcome to write your own OS for your units, if you're not happy with the software provided.

Well you’re always welcome to do a little research before you take a jab at someone

HB uses the Linux OS in their units and although each setting may require a slight change in the code it certainly wouldn’t require anything close to a total rewrite and it would be the proper thing to do since enough people have asked for a way to easily manage these 87 settings for over 2 years

Not to mention this thread just might open the eyes of others and they may realize this could help them as well

I mean really how many people use their 2 units with the exact same settings?

Like I stated before most use one for searching and navigating while the other is used for fishing, both require different settings to get the most out of them
    And like myself anglers that buy the Solix do so because they want the most out of their units

Not just a couple of CLONES
    "The handicapped angler"

12. Member
    This global issue absolutely needs to be addressed. I’ve never had so many issues with 2 networked units. One all global on or off would be a great step in making things easier. Mine freeze and stop all the time. No rhyme or reason. Today it’s the mapping, tomorrow it will be the sonar. My network is simple. 2 Solix 12’s, network box, Ultrex link, heading sensor. All have most current versions of software according to FishSmart app. I am a bird guy thru and thru but all this freezing stopping and just plain non functioning is unacceptable. No excuse for this in a great company like Humminbird! Michangler, I agree wholeheartedly.
    Last edited by TonkaCat; 06-15-2019 at 06:01 AM.

13. Member
    I've had 2 solix 10 si units since October 2018, 1 on bow and 1 at console. I've been battling the freezing up issues and have not put in the time to research it until lately. Love the units when they are working but what a pain in the butt to have to restart so much. I need to do some more reading on the global settings.
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    Well you’re always welcome to do a little research before you take a jab at someone

HB uses the Linux OS in their units and although each setting may require a slight change in the code it certainly wouldn’t require anything close to a total rewrite and it would be the proper thing to do since enough people have asked for a way to easily manage these 87 settings for over 2 years

Not to mention this thread just might open the eyes of others and they may realize this could help them as well

I mean really how many people use their 2 units with the exact same settings?

Like I stated before most use one for searching and navigating while the other is used for fishing, both require different settings to get the most out of them
    And like myself anglers that buy the Solix do so because they want the most out of their units

Not just a couple of CLONES
    In the mean time, save your settings to a memory card so you won't have to re-do the Globals when there is another update or you do a restore defaults for some reason.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    I Had to restore defaults AGAIN after the console 10” kept locking up and Bow 12” GPS stopped functioning and I found half the globals where back on as well as some auto config setting I turned off

So I had to go through the tedious task of restoring defaults and configuring a new network and counted up all the Global setting on a fresh install – 1 global map, 1 master global and 87 individual page globals

This does not include any settings on custom pages I create and the fact that I have 2 units (Total of 192 Global setting for my setup) I have to change

THIS IS INSAINE!

It takes enough time as it is to configure a new network without having to deal with all these global settings

People including myself has been asking for more than 2 years (since the solix was released) for a true MASTER GLOBAL setting or page

All I want is the two units to share waypoints and once and a while be able to view the map card on the other unit other than that I do not want to force/share any other settings or configurations

I use different sonar frequencies, sensitivity, contrast, offsets as well as different chart settings, maps and overlays on each unit

I just want maps and waypoints how do I achieve this? What a pain in the A$$
    Other than your globals messed up, how are things in Royal Oak? Had an aunt/uncle that used to live there. My family now is mostly around Saginaw Bay and South Lyon.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    In the mean time, save your settings to a memory card so you won't have to re-do the Globals when there is another update or you do a restore defaults for some reason.
    Wayne I keep a copy of my settings on a card in each unit at all times for just this reason

Sometimes it works but other times it doesn’t once it caused more issues then I started with

Not to mention saved settings do not record custom pages or their settings
    Another thing I’ve posted on for two years

Last time out I had the bow units GPS lock up and did a Nav restore and import settings and it worked
    But had to do this on both units

If we had a master global page we could take a quick look at startup and see if anything has changed as well as allow us to do a full restore a lot faster to the point you could do this on the water to save the rest of your day
    "The handicapped angler"

Quote Originally Posted by BrownTrout View Post
    Other than your globals messed up, how are things in Royal Oak? Had an aunt/uncle that used to live there. My family now is mostly around Saginaw Bay and South Lyon.
    Royal Oak has become yuppyville USA with joggers, bicyclists and dog walkers with poop purses everywhere
    "The handicapped angler"

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hambandit View Post
    As someone who works in IT, that 'simple code' may require an entire rewrite of the OS. More likely there are default values for each entry that would have to be adjusted, and the system may be designed to check that those are in a default state at initial startup. Without those checks you may experience unexpected output.

You're always welcome to write your own OS for your units, if you're not happy with the software provided.
    Absolutely ..... but most don't, and don't want to, understand.

19. Member
    Will turning off all global settings fix the freezing issue?
    It's driving me crazy love the solix hate the freezing.

Globals only affect Solix units networked together if you only have one Solix you are having a different issue because globals are only used for networking multiple units
    "The handicapped angler"

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast