Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    Globals only affect Solix units networked together if you only have one Solix you are having a different issue because globals are only used for networking multiple units
    I have 2 solix 12's so will turning them off help?

Quote Originally Posted by Pigdog72 View Post
    I have 2 solix 12's so will turning them off help?
    Yes it will turn them all off!

My experience with the sonar freezing/skipping with networked Solix units is that when it starts to do this you will find that one or both units will have at least one or more globals have defaulted back to the on position

And it is a 50/50 chance that if you turn the globals back off it will stop the issue

The quickest way to do this is if you have saved your menu settings you can try importing the settings to and this will return all globals to the off position again (with the exception of any custom pages you have created) these require you to turn the globals off manually

If this doesn’t work you will need to restore defaults on the sonar portion of the unit and again import your settings

Note: if you do a restore while both units are on and connected to the network both units will be restored and need the menu settings imported

Seems that the longer the global has been on the worse the issue gets and it gets to a point that a full restore is required

I had my console 10” unit sonar freezing and skipping the past week found globals back on tried the import settings NG tried sonar restore/import settings NG and once I had an issue with the bow units GPS I did a full restore on both units Friday - turning off all globals and went out today and the 10” didn’t freeze once but within a few weeks I can pretty much guarantee it will start all over again
    Last edited by MichAngler; 06-16-2019 at 05:23 PM.
    "The handicapped angler"

3. Member
    I agree its more trouble than it’s worth

But besides wanting to be able to mark a waypoint on one and instantly see it on the other I have a Navionics card in one and a HB select in the other and once and a while I like to see what the other card shows for a particular area of the lake

I would also like to avoid buying a second GPS/HS antenna

But at this point I’ve decided that when (Not if) they start acting up again I’m going to run each unit independently with only the bow unit connected to the Ultrex and no ethernet switch

Its just a shame that the units can’t do a couple tasks without all the overdesigned that could be fixed with just a couple lines of code especially since people have been asking for this for over two years

And I’m sorry if your answer is to buy another unit I can say without hesitation it Wouldn’t be a bird
    Why would you need another gps/heading sensor? I'm assuming you have an ultrex with ipilot link, right? Why not use it's sensor for heading and gps?
    Solix 12 Gen2 Mega+ SI, Helix 7 DI G3, Helix 10 G3N SI +, Helix 9 G3N SI +.
    Upgraded to Mega imaging from a HDS-12 Carbon

Quote Originally Posted by jjjaymmman View Post
    Why would you need another gps/heading sensor? I'm assuming you have an ultrex with ipilot link, right? Why not use it's sensor for heading and gps?
    Because the Ultrex GPS and HS only works when the Ultrex is deployed

And the Solix does not acquire these quickly not to mention not at all some times

This is another thing I have posted on for some time now
    "The handicapped angler"

5. Member
    Because the Ultrex GPS and HS only works when the Ultrex is deployed

And the Solix does not acquire these quickly not to mention not at all some times

This is another thing I have posted on for some time now
    Odd, I have not tried the ultrex GPS since I currently avg an error of 1 to 2 ft with the internal GPS on both solix units.
    Last edited by jjjaymmman; 06-17-2019 at 01:02 PM.

If you leave the Heading sensor configuration in auto it will use either the GPS HS or the Ultrex HS witch ever is available as long as the ultrex is deployed (I witnessed this yesterday)
    "The handicapped angler"

Something I found out today is that there are settings that if you change before you turn off all the globals they get locked as a global controlled item

I happened to change the boat icon on one unit before I turned off all the global on both units

Now that I have the globals off the boat icon is linked so when I change it on one unit it changes it on the other

And if I want to fix this I need to restore defaults and start all over

Before the solix/onix I don’t ever remember anyone ever asking for this type of system

This is way too much un-needed junk that is causing a lot of the issues and really needs to be removed from the system
    "The handicapped angler"

8. Member
    Salt water and yacht guys love those auto features. They are a much larger market than bass guys.

9. Member
    Have you considered changing to one helix and one solix?

Something I found out today is that there are settings that if you change before you turn off all the globals they get locked as a global controlled item

I happened to change the boat icon on one unit before I turned off all the global on both units

Now that I have the globals off the boat icon is linked so when I change it on one unit it changes it on the other

And if I want to fix this I need to restore defaults and start all over

Before the solix/onix I don’t ever remember anyone ever asking for this type of system

This is way too much un-needed junk that is causing a lot of the issues and really needs to be removed from the system

Have you ever heard of GEONAV marine sonar equipment?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Have you ever heard of GEONAV marine sonar equipment?
    What?
    "The handicapped angler"

What?
    My question concerns your statement "
    Before the solix/onix I don’t ever remember anyone ever asking for this type of system"

Do you know that the ONIX and ION models were the results of Johnson Outdoors' purchase of that company to have equipment to compete with SIMRAD, Furuno, etc. in the high end products for the bluewater market?

https://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/u...-way-more-back
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Well I stand by that statement with the addition the I meant most HB users weren’t asking for all this
    most are like me just wanting to share maps, waypoints and accessories

I didn’t know the complete history of the onix/solix but after using it for 2 years I knew it wasn’t an HB conception It just doesn’t have that HB feel

Unfortunately most times in this type of scenario the people that made most of the quagmire of settings are long gone and the people left to deal with it can only patch some holes in the software

I really hope HB has some top notch coders because this thing needs a lot of work
    "The handicapped angler"

14. Member
    As someone who *actually* wrote code (on mainframes, minis, and PC's) for 35 years, I'd like to ask everyone who posts to stop saying ignorant things about how easy it would be to do 'whatever'.

None of you have the slightest clue.

There's absolutely no way for programmers to anticipate most of the things users will do with their programs. It really is a case of 'when they write smarter programs, they will breed dumber users'. (Now that I've unintentionally offended all of you, replace 'dumber users' with 'users trying to do sensible things that were unforeseen'. :D )

When you have issues, write down *all* the circumstances, what you were trying to do, what happened, and SEND IT TO HUMMINBIRD! You need to be brain-surgeon inclusive of all the facts. What you *think* was important wasn't, and what you don't say is what they actually need to hear.

I guarantee that if your notes get to the developers, they'll bust their nuts to try to fix it. I worked with over 100 different people writing code, and while many of them weren't good at it, they all really sweated it out trying. It's part of the mindset of people who do this for a living.

And whining on an internet board will just piss them off. Guess how hard they will work with your minuscule amount of hints, then!

I did a lot of programming for various platforms during my work career also. Not all programmers are good at what they do ... and not all programmers are automatically going to bust there butt trying to do a good job or fix problems. The ones who don't should find another career.

I also think it is important for Humminbird users to tell Humminbird what they don't like so Humminbird can develop a product users are more happy with ....In this particualr case, there aren't too many people who think having all these globals default to "on" is a good idea.
    I do understand how if you have busted your butt trying to develop a great product ... and people complain about it it can step on your feeling and ego .... in that case, just get over it.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

Not to mention we have been told time and again that Humminbird reps and techs visit this forum frequently to see what we are discussing
    "The handicapped angler"

I have had several PM’s asking how to turn globals off so here is a quick explanation

When you pick a view say 2D and Nav Chart (2 Windows) this view will have 5 globals that need to be turned off

Say you pick the view with 2D – DI – SI – Chart (4 Windows) this view has 9 Globals that need to be turned off

When you go to the Views page there are 20 some views you can pick from each has globals that need to be turned off

Let’s start with an easy one - the 2D and Chart view
    touch the 2D window so the highlight box is a round the 2D window
    Top left touch SONAR
    Scroll down to Sonar Options – select Sonar options
    You will now see 2 Globals – turn them off (There is a confirm popup for each)
    X out of the options drop downs
    Next touch the Chart Window so the highlight box is a round the chart window
    Top left touch CHART
    Scroll down to Chart Options – select Chart options
    You will now see 3 Globals – turn them off (There is a confirm popup for each)
    X out of the options drop down

You have completed 1 view now you have some 20 more to go

Go back to the Views page and select the next view and so on and so on……….

In each view you have to highlight each window and select options then turn off the globals

Even on a view that has two chart windows you have to select each window not just one

All sonar windows have 2 globals and all chart windows have 3 globals

The only windows that do not have globals are the Engine Information windows (They look like speedometers)

You need to turn off all globals even in views/windows you don’t use

Now you have 2 other globals that need to be turned off besides the option ones

In Settings under General there is a so called Master Global to control the backlight and sounds
    In Settings under Chart there is a Map Global for maps allowing you to use and see 2 different chart cards (one in each Solix)

That’s it you are done
    Last edited by MichAngler; 05-03-2021 at 04:54 PM.
    "The handicapped angler"

Not to mention we have been told time and again that Humminbird reps and techs visit this forum frequently to see what we are discussing
    They do, are you doubting that?
    Maybe what you want is very low on the list of change requests.
    Could be the majority of owners like it as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    They do, are you doubting that?
    Maybe what you want is very low on the list of change requests.
    Could be the majority of owners like it as it is.
    WOW

I didn’t doubt it at all I’ve heard this from several people and knowing your familiarity with HB I have no reason to doubt you

I was just responding to the comment that we should send this directly to HB rather than here

Maybe it’s low on the list because there are many issues with the Solix

Not to mention this one can be attributed to voltage issues as well as a couple others and many people may not know it is an issue for them

Last I’d love to hear from people that like having globals on
    "The handicapped angler"

20. Member
    What is causing my GPS to freezing for two minutes when I mark fish on imaging I run two Solix at bow one map one imaging? Anyone else having this problem

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast