Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    ...or maybe you have a bad Ethernet switch or a flaky Ethernet cable. Do you have issues if you connect them directly to each other?
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

Quote Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
    ...or maybe you have a bad Ethernet switch or a flaky Ethernet cable. Do you have issues if you connect them directly to each other?
    I have swapped out the Ethernet cables and tried different ports on the switch

I have never tried a direct connection due to having the Ultrex

But that is a good point and something I need to test

Thank you
    "The handicapped angler"

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    NEXT TEST:

My last two times out I did not connect the console unit to the network and only connected the bow unit to the Ethernet switch to network to the Ultrex

Now remainder I have not done a full restore in several trips now (just a sonar restore on the console unit while on the water)

And I can say I have not had any issues with either unit since then

Now two trips out is not enough to truly say definitively that the issue is a network/global issue but it does hint to it

I will be continuing to run them independently and see if the issues return and report back
    Do you run 2 maps (1 in each unit) so that you can run with globals off? I've only got 1 map card in the console unit, so I've never turned off my globals until reading this thread.
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by JOEALLY View Post
    Do you run 2 maps (1 in each unit) so that you can run with globals off? I've only got 1 map card in the console unit, so I've never turned off my globals until reading this thread.
    Do you have the kind of issues he is talking about with his units?

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

Joe,

Yes I have 2 different maps in my Solix units

A HB Chart Select in the bow and a Navionic in the console unit

You mentioned your having a “freezing up issue” is this with your charts/gps or your sonar? and is it on both units or just one?
    "The handicapped angler"

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
    Do you have the kind of issues he is talking about with his units?
    Yes, I think my issues are similar but maybe not exactly. I have issues with both units freezing up at different times. It happens so randomly, it's happened on sonar screens where the transducers stop working on the bow and it's happened on the map screen on both units several times. The units have frozen up requiring a restart multiple times in a day.

7. Member
    Joe,

Yes I have 2 different maps in my Solix units

A HB Chart Select in the bow and a Navionic in the console unit

You mentioned your having a “freezing up issue” is this with your charts/gps or your sonar? and is it on both units or just one?
    My units have frozen or locked up requiring restarts on both screens, chart and sonar at different intervals. The "most frequent" is the sonar stops working on the bow unit and won't start again until a restart and the map on front unit looses detail requiring me to restart the console unit. I only have one map and it's HB Lakemaster in the console unit, the bow shares it. I've tried stopping the pinging, turning the sonar source off and back on but nothing but a restart seems to help. I've also tried taking the map out and reinserting it but once the bow unit loses the map detail, it doesn't recognize the card. I haven't used them with the globals off yet enough to know if it makes a difference on mine.

I should also add, the console unit occasionally freezes up on the map screen requiring a restart. One final thing, at least 3 times each, the unit's touchscreens have acted up requiring restarts. For example, if you touch the "settings" icon, it would pull up the "trails" or something other than the icon touched. This is not as frequent as the freezing up though. It's weird, some days, the units won't freeze up but once or twice and other days, many times. I've had to restart them at least 10 times in a day between the 2 units.

I'm current on the up dates and my units show from 12.6V early in the morning to 12.0V late in the day. When I called HB on the water, the lady said the voltage was fine if it was showing 12V or higher on the unit.

Joe,

It certainly sounds like you have the same global conflict issue myself and others have

Since you have had this issue for a while now I would start fresh it seems some issues won’t correct themselves just by turning off the globals if you have let this go on for too long

Now if it where me I would do the following

First write down all the adjustments you have made on each unit
    Sensitivity
    Contrast
    Range
    Depth, heading and temp offsets
    Map preferences
    Sonar Preferences
    data overlays

Second do a full restore to defaults on both units and sync them (new network)
    Do the restore one unit at a time with other unit off

Third turn off all globals on each unit with other unit off (do this before any adjustments)

Forth make all the adjustments you’ve written down on each unit

Fifth once you have made all the adjustments export your menu settings onto a card for each unit
    either keep the cards in the units as I do or at least in the boat.

Try to get all settings as close to what you use so you don’t have to make too many adjustments each time you import the settings

As I have stated some of these globals will pop back on over the course of time and as soon as you see any hint of an issue I would import the menu settings you have saved for that unit (this works most of the time)

There have been a few times this didn’t work and I have had to do a restore sonar settings on one unit while on the water and then import menu settings – do this with the other unit off and as soon as you turn second unit on do an import of menu settings on that unit as well (if you don’t the second unit will freak out)

This is the shortest way I’ve found to manage this problem while on the water I know it sucks but until HB addresses this issue it is the best option

Only other option I have found that works is run them independently (No network) but in your case you would need to buy a second map and since there is no network they don’t share waypoints, heading senor or transducers (Not the best option but it works)

I still have a few things to test but in the meantime this should help
    "The handicapped angler"

9. Member
    Thanks, I've copied and saved your post.

I don't mind spending the money to buy the second map card to run them independently, it's the issue of sharing waypoints for me.

I'm hoping to get a day on the water soon to put some real time on my units again. I've only been out on short trips since installing the latest update.

Joe,

It certainly sounds like you have the same global conflict issue myself and others have

Since you have had this issue for a while now I would start fresh it seems some issues won’t correct themselves just by turning off the globals if you have let this go on for too long

Now if it where me I would do the following

First write down all the adjustments you have made on each unit
    Sensitivity
    Contrast
    Range
    Depth, heading and temp offsets
    Map preferences
    Sonar Preferences
    data overlays

Second do a full restore to defaults on both units and sync them (new network)
    Do the restore one unit at a time with other unit off

Third turn off all globals on each unit with other unit off (do this before any adjustments)

Forth make all the adjustments you’ve written down on each unit

Fifth once you have made all the adjustments export your menu settings onto a card for each unit
    either keep the cards in the units as I do or at least in the boat.

Try to get all settings as close to what you use so you don’t have to make too many adjustments each time you import the settings

As I have stated some of these globals will pop back on over the course of time and as soon as you see any hint of an issue I would import the menu settings you have saved for that unit (this works most of the time)

There have been a few times this didn’t work and I have had to do a restore sonar settings on one unit while on the water and then import menu settings – do this with the other unit off and as soon as you turn second unit on do an import of menu settings on that unit as well (if you don’t the second unit will freak out)

This is the shortest way I’ve found to manage this problem while on the water I know it sucks but until HB addresses this issue it is the best option

Only other option I have found that works is run them independently (No network) but in your case you would need to buy a second map and since there is no network they don’t share waypoints, heading senor or transducers (Not the best option but it works)

I still have a few things to test but in the meantime this should help

10. Member
    Joe I've been having the identical issues with my 12 Solix G1's. Chart locking up all the time. Sometimes it comes back, sometimes it doesn't. SI, DI and 2D lock up. I tried the same troubleshooting you did with no recovery except a restart. I'm going to follow Michanglers walkthroughs tonight and I hope it helps.

My question I have...….With all the globals "off"...what needs to be on to share waypoints?

One weird thing was that when the sonar locked up, the depth was still changing.
    Last edited by CraftyBass; 07-08-2019 at 03:32 PM.
    -Rich Craft
    2021 Phoenix 921 Elite / Mercury Pro XS 250 Ser # 3B013525

11. Member
    My units are networked directly
    -Rich Craft

12. Member
    I'm far from the correct person to answer this but if the globals are "off" it seems it would not be possible to share data? Or perhaps I'm totally misunderstanding "globals"

Keep us posted on your experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by CraftyBass View Post
    Joe I've been having the identical issues with my 12 Solix G1's. Chart locking up all the time. Sometimes it comes back, sometimes it doesn't. SI, DI and 2D lock up. I tried the same troubleshooting you did with no recovery except a restart. I'm going to follow Michanglers walkthroughs tonight and I hope it helps.

My question I have...….With all the globals "off"...what needs to be on to share waypoints?

One weird thing was that when the sonar locked up, the depth was still changing.

13. Member
    if they are all off...what needs to be turned on to get waypoints? Which setting?
    -Rich Craft

Quote Originally Posted by CraftyBass View Post
    if they are all off...what needs to be turned on to get waypoints? Which setting?
    The waypoints are not part of the global system they are shared automatically when a network is setup

If you have a map card in each unit and what to use them independently you need to turn off the MAP GLOBAL in the settings/chart page

Anything found in the preferences and overlays of the sonar and chart options is controlled by the global system
    Globals control things like

sonar preferences examples- surface clutter, range, max bottom, zoom settings, frequencies and so on
    Chart preferences examples- satellite overlay, data overlays, heading lines and so on
    Map preferences examples- depth offset, depth colors and chart option

anything in the section the global is attached to
    global.jpg

There are also items in the settings section that are mirrored automatically and cannot be turned off such as Boat Icon

These are just examples of the items controlled by the global system there are many other things and if you want different settings on your units it will cause chaos

Example I run a Navionic map in one unit and a HB Select map in the other

If I have any globals on in the map section my charts lock up
    Last edited by MichAngler; 07-08-2019 at 04:38 PM.
    "The handicapped angler"

15. Member
    Forgive this ignorant question but if the globals are off and only one unit has the map card, can the other unit share it if they are networked or does turning the global off prevent it from sharing?

Forgive this ignorant question but if the globals are off and only one unit has the map card, can the other unit share it if they are networked or does turning the global off prevent it from sharing?
    Global settings do not affect map sharing. That is a Network.

Global settings affect stuff like in post #74.

Global in the General setting, affects unit functions like sharing the backlighting setting.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Global settings do not affect map sharing. That is a Network.

Global settings affect stuff like in post #74.

Global in the General setting, affects unit functions like sharing the backlighting setting.
    Thank you

Well I’ve done some more testing just to make sure I got this right

First is I connected the units directly (No Ethernet switch as bob suggested) and used two different cables with the same results

I also tried not syncing a network but with them connected hoping they would at least share waypoints but this didn’t work

Still my best option if I don’t want to keep dealing with this Global Conflict is to run them independently only connecting the bow unit to the Ultrex

It’s such a shame they designed these units this way so much money for such a pain in the………..
    Last edited by MichAngler; 07-16-2019 at 06:20 AM.
    "The handicapped angler"

19. Member
    I'm leaving Wednesday on a trip to spend a few nights fishing. I plan to take the time to document my issues if (when) they happen & record the details such as voltage, exactly what happened, which screen, etc.

I'm going to try them with the globals off and if needed independently of each other. Where I'll be fishing I won't need the lakemaster card on shared on the bow unit.

Exclamation

Well I just did ANOTHER RESTORE after all this testing and I have found some interesting things

First I had a global turn back on during setup and that unit had just been rebooted causing my chart to not show contours until I turned the globals off and reboot again (while the charger was connected to the battery showing 14+ volts) so not a voltage issue

Next you can setup heading sensor offset and temp offset and as soon as you turn the unit off it forgets this information the units will not save this important data

Last the boat icon is set as a global that cannot be turned off – once you sync the units you change it on one and it forces the change on the other I wonder what other settings are locked as a global that we don’t know about

I no longer feel this is just a global issue I really think that the code that reads or writes the Menu Settings has errors that corrupts the memory and once the memory is corrupted the unit has no option but to return to its default settings

This includes global settings defaulting back to their original on position that can cause networked units to lock up or freeze it is also the result of settings defaulting back to their original position such as Heading sensor offset, temp offset, HB chart depth colors as well as a handful of other settings that keep reverting back to their original settings

You don’t ever see a global setting turning off or a heading offset turning on its always a default to original setting and can happen at any time but happens the majority of the time when the units are powering up or down when the memory is being accessed

This screams a software code error that is reading or writing to this memory incorrectly
    "The handicapped angler"

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast