hot foot sticking

I have a hot foot installed and its started sticking just beyond idle to where I have to pull it down to idle rpms. is this common, does it require some lubing or new springs?

Was it just installed? Is it new or used and been sitting on a shelf for a while somewhere?

I had a used one put on my boat a couple of years ago and it was doing the same thing. I lubricated it real good, and just pulled it back with my toe for the next couple of trips...and it has worked perfect since.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

3. Member
    no it has some time on the boat already.where did you hit with luck e and what kind?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hez View Post
    Was it just installed? Is it new or used and been sitting on a shelf for a while somewhere?

I had a used one put on my boat a couple of years ago and it was doing the same thing. I lubricated it real good, and just pulled it back with my toe for the next couple of trips...and it has worked perfect since.
    no it has some time on the boat already.where did you hit with luck e and what kind?

I think I just used WD-40, and I got down on the floor under the console and just lubricated all moving parts, including the spring actuator. Couldn't identify 1 part alone that need lubrication.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

6. Member
    You can also tighten the return spring on most models

Its probably the plastic wheel. Take a good look at it and you will see what I am talking about. They get flat spots rubbed in them.

8. Member
    If it's a top load, lightly grease the exposed part of the throttle cable...pump it a bunch of times and do it again.

9. Banned
    The cable gets worn internally. Mostly where the bends are when routed to the motor. Something to consider if lubing the foot or adding spring tension doesn't resolve the issue.

10. Rich Purington
    check for any foreign objects in all moving parts. small rocks, fishing line (I have had this multiple times), jig trailers, etc. Easy way is to use compressor...air blast!
    2018 Puma FTD
    250 ProXS

11. Member
    When mine was sticking it ended up being the bolt going thru the bottom of the foot, we took it out and polished it with a dremel and worked perfect again. had some corrosion or something on it making it stick

Take the cable off and then youll know which part needs lube. It could very well be the cable

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

Replace the cable with a newer model. If it’s a Mercury go Premium or Platinum style.