Champion 190SX Transom Rebuild

I have a 2001 Champion 190SX with a 200 Merc EFI. I had the engine rebuilt in the winter of 2014-2015 with a Merc factory remanufactured powerhead and they did a letter perfect job. The boat has a 8" R&R Slidemaster jackplate..

I just had a 100 hour checkup on the engine and a new water pump impeller installed. Additionally, I had the dealer to a safety check on my whole rig (bolts, hydraulic steering, fuel system, etc). They found a serious issue on my transom. Water got in thru one jackplate bolt and caused the transom to get soft in that area. That bolt will not tighten - it just spins. The other 3 bolts are OK.

That dealer recommends a complete transom rebuild. They said the original dealer who installed the jackplate did not apply sufficient water sealing (silicon) when they drilled the holes for the jackplate and recommended a body shop in Brainerd MN. A rough estimate is $4500.00. The boat has "Baltec" transom construction.

When I purchased the boat I thought it had a lifetime hull warranty, but I guess that's a moot point now.

I am thinking thru my options and conclude I don't have a choice but to do the rebuild, but I hate to put this money into a 19 year old boat.

Any advice or comments is appreciated.

2. Member
    If it is just the transom that is bad, look into a pourable transom. I've done 2 of them and they were very solid transoms when done. Been a couple of years now on my Champion and still going strong.

3. Banned
    If they did a complete inspection and you know for a fact the transom is the only problem then repair it. You can do it yourself and save a lot of money just sacrificing time and frustration. A few members on here have done them I'm sure they can help you make it as easy as possible.

4. Member
    I had a guy in Hardinsburg Indiana do my skeeter back in 2004 for $2,000.

117 north maple street in Hardinsburg, Indiana. Not sure if he is still in business but google maps shows fiberglass boats sitting outside his shop. That’s who I would get a quote from.
    Last edited by bassfish 24-7; 06-15-2019 at 09:37 PM.