Thread: Toxic Lake O

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    I was born in Tampa in 75, and I think I was born with a fishing pole...poor mom!

In the 90s Poga was a Great Lake, now I won’t drive by it. Every lake that is used to fish as a young tourney angler is decimated right now. I don’t know what it will take for the FWC to realize what they’re doing by taking out ALL the weeds.

I was wade fishing Istokpoga in '81. Sure miss my 2 favorite lakes. Walk in Water being the other one.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

2. Member
    Video posted on Facebook today showing 3 miles of dead fish at Okeechobee. Anybody else hearing reports of fish kills?

Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    Video posted on Facebook today showing 3 miles of dead fish at Okeechobee. Anybody else hearing reports of fish kills?
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=991501

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

4. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottOz View Post
    I was wade fishing Istokpoga in '81. Sure miss my 2 favorite lakes. Walk in Water being the other one.
    Yeah when Kissimmee was down in the early 90s Walk In Water was the ticket! Huge mats of hydrilla in the middle and so many big bass. I actually went with 5 friends and we did a live bait day. I never use shiners but that day we all boated fish 8+ and with 3 boats we each went through 4 dozen shiners before noon.

3 people caught 11+...not me, I didn’t catch anything bigger than a 9 pounder that day.

I really want to go back there but theres simply no reason now. Seeing this kill in Okeechobee makes me sick
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

5. Member
    For sure Cass, That place was awesome. My buddies won a tournament with I think 108 boats. One of their names was Cass as well. That place was so awesome. I had 10.18 for big fish on a Saturday, Sunday 10.23 beat my out. I still won but lost big fish of the year. So many lakes my 12, 5 and 4 year old may never get to experience.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl

6. Member
    Okeechobee is ok

7. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottOz View Post
    For sure Cass, That place was awesome. My buddies won a tournament with I think 108 boats. One of their names was Cass as well. That place was so awesome. I had 10.18 for big fish on a Saturday, Sunday 10.23 beat my out. I still won but lost big fish of the year. So many lakes my 12, 5 and 4 year old may never get to experience.
    I agree with this so much! My daughter is 14 and caught her first bass in our golf course ponds. She’s used to catching 4 and 5 pounders and lost an 8 by trying to pull it out of the water on a KVD 1.5

She thinks I’m supposed to catch 8 pounders every time I go out...talk about pressure!

She won’t even go to lakes in the boat now because we catch so many big fish out of these tiny ponds....I’m wondering the same thing myself sometimes!

I do know the lakes I used to catch 10+ pounders in the late 80s and 90s just don’t produce the same fish today.

When I got back into bass fishing seriously a couple years ago I had 20 years worth of useless notes, had to start all over, but they’re still out there!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

I had 20 years worth of useless notes
    That would be interesting to read

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

9. Member
    I do know the lakes I used to catch 10+ pounders in the late 80s and 90s just don’t produce the same fish today.

When I got back into bass fishing seriously a couple years ago I had 20 years worth of useless notes, had to start all over, but they’re still out there!
    Yep it is crazy. Okeechobee you can not fish old history. The newbies never knew Winnies Cove, Moonshine Bay ( used to run to it from the ditch ) Tomato fields, Aquarium, Little grassy ect.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl

Not worth your money to even think about fishing the O... Shallow, lots of rocks, no grass, 95° water temps.... I was hitting the lake pretty much every weekend until they started spraying real heavily in about February. Sure there are a few who can still sack em, but for the average man chasing a giant, Okeechobee is no longer that lake

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21xTriton05 View Post
    Not worth your money to even think about fishing the O... Shallow, lots of rocks, no grass, 95° water temps.... I was hitting the lake pretty much every weekend until they started spraying real heavily in about February. Sure there are a few who can still sack em, but for the average man chasing a giant, Okeechobee is no longer that lake
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123