Thread: Lost power

Lost power

I have a 2009 ZX190 that I have never had any cranking issues before.
    Last week I went to a lake and for the first 3 hours I had zero issues.
    I was fishing around a lot of laydowns and stumps so I had the motor trimmed up.

I went to crank up and move down the lake and discovered I had no power to the big motor.

There was no clicking like I would expect for low battery, I had no tilt/trim power either.
    All electronics, livewells worked fine.

I pulled the cowling off and looked for something that might have gotten loose. The inline fuses were all intact, I could see nothing under the console that resembled an inline fuse, and the fusebox in the starboard rod box was fine.
    I trolled three and a half miles back to ramp and came home. (1.5 hours)

I was able to look deeper under the console for any fuses I might have missed, and other than small inline fuses for Garmin and Lowrance units, I found nothing amiss.
    There is a round, black something attached to the ignition switch that I could not tell what it was. Fuse/Breaker?
    I must have touched something, because I suddenly had power to crank, and trim motor.
    What is going on?
    I called the local dealership parts department and they said there is nothing under the console. Something about a "FUSE BLOCK" on the side of the motor.

I had that issue before, wiggling the cables at the battery always worked like magic. They looked tight but apparently werent making good enough contact to crank the motor.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

3. Member
    I had that same issue. It was the ignition switch itself. The rubber Yamaha key somewhat melted/desintigrated and caused the ignition to stick. Don’t know how. But a new switch assembly and problem was instantly solved.