Bantam MGL vs Metanium MGL

I am looking for comparisons of these 2 reels. I have Metaniums and am considering a Bantam. It will be used for baits 3/8 oz and up. From what i have read it doesn't cast quite as nice as the Metanium. Casting has always been the benchmark of a reels performance for me. Wondering if someone uses both and could offer some input
    Thanks

2. Member
    I've got a few Met MGL's and just recently got two Bantams. I haven't got the Bantams quit dialed in but they cast great. I can't really say that one will out cast the other but the Bantam is a damn good reel. You should do yourself a favor and add one to your arsenal.

Bantam will cast right with MGL. I'm in the process of changing my heavy app MGLs to Bantams. Super stout reel. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reelex View Post
    Bantam will cast right with MGL. I'm in the process of changing my heavy app MGLs to Bantams. Super stout reel. Dan
    Perfect. Thats what i was thinking to do as well.
    Thanks for the input

5. Member
    I read a review I believe in TW where someone said it was like the Calcutta and Metanium had a baby together and that is spot on. The reel is solid but it will surprise you how it palms. I got out today and made a point to use them as much as possible. I was basically just throwing a Bantam (the most), a Met MGL, and an Aldeberan MGL.

I’ve fished a ton of reels. Started with shimano, went to Daiwa, then to Lews. Two years ago I went back to shimano. The bantam mgl is the best reel IMO I’ve ever used. I actually sold 6 met mgl and replaced with bantams. They palm great and pair on a nrx just awesome.

7. Member
    I usually let the frame material play a part in the decision. I love the magnesium framed reels for plastics and jigs. I side with aluminum reels for resistance apps or things that will strain a reel (cranks, chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, and even frog fishing where I have to at times pull a fish plus a bunch of matter vegetation with it).

I don’t care for magnesium framer reels for resistance stuff. Tried spinnerbaits and chatterbaits on my Met MGL but didn’t like the feel. Sure, you can do the brass gear conversion if you really want to.

8. Member
    I bought 10 Bantams earlier this year and love them. I recently bought 2 Metanium MGLs and I have so say I like how the Bantams casts better. I'm going to relegate the Metaniums for 1/4 oz lures or lighter. Bantams for everything 3/8 and over.

9. Member
    Get the Bantam. IMO its the best reel Shimano is making now. I own them all and the Met gets a little grindy after about a year of use. Plus if you use 7'+ rods the heavier weight of the Bantam will balance the combo better. I know everyone preaches light weight reels are the way to go but IMO balance is more important.

Would the Bantam be overkill for punching or pitching 3/8 to 3/4 oz weights? Trying to find what this reel really shines at.

11. Member
    Not at all... the Bantam is actually smaller than the Metanium. The added weight comes from the all aluminum frame and brass gear. These two things mean you'll have a solid reel that lasts and feels the same for years and years.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Flippin81 View Post
    Would the Bantam be overkill for punching or pitching 3/8 to 3/4 oz weights? Trying to find what this reel really shines at.
    Nope. Just actually ordered one for pitching 3/8-1/2oz baits with mono. It's all about the "feel".