24 tempest plus on a margay

Ok,
    Couple of questions here, 2013 Margay dual console with an ultrex on the front, Factory jackplate settings 150 pro xs. Just got back from a week of fishing in Canada and here are my observations, had a 25 pitch tempest plus and two guys loaded to fish was a 60mph boat but not turning enough rpm. Bought a used 24 tempest plus and with two guys hit 63mph and the right rpm. Here is the issue.

1) with full livewells, two guy's the 24 will not lift or carry the load, the boat was stuck at 45mph no matter how much trim, add a third guy forget it. Can someone like Ronnie Gilbert get a 24 to lift this hull with a load? If I raise the plate slightly will that help with load carrying bow lift?

As an aside even though the 25 would not turn enough rpm it did lift well. So I think the 24 is the right prop for this boat all around but do I get it worked or did I lift the plate?

Answers from the experts.

Drop back to a 23 Fury or stay 24 Nd lower the engine. The Margay hull is made to run the engine lower.

3. Member
    So going down on the plate from the original factory setting will give more lift to the hull? won't that create more chine walk as well? Right now my steering is pretty loose which tells me I think that I should go up a little. Can basscat tell me what they set the prop to pad on a stock margay with a 2 stroke 150 merc pro xs?

4. Member
    If your not getting up on pad and gaining the top end that the boat is capable of, the steering will be loose.
    Dropping the JP down will allow the prop to lift the bow better at lower speeds and be more responsive to trim at upper speeds. Yes it will chine, but it should on performance hulls.
    The 23 Fury would give you a quicker hole shot and throttle response when loaded.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

5. Member
    No issues with hole shot on that boat it is instant, really just the midrange lift. I will drop the plate a quarter inch and see where I go.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapela View Post
    No issues with hole shot on that boat it is instant, really just the midrange lift. I will drop the plate a quarter inch and see where I go.
    Keep us updated on your progress.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Regardless, Ronnie Gilbert can make it a better prop than a stock one. He knows what he's doing, especially on a BassCat. He worked a 24 Tempest Plus for my Sabre with a 175 SHO and it was night/day different.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

8. Member
    I had the same problem on my 2015 Margay after adding Talons, bigger batteries and a second person only my holeshot was gone too. I was running a 24 Fury. Dropping to a 23 Fury I now come out of the hole between 5-6 seconds and run over 60 loaded with near max rpms.

9. Member
    I have an unusual set up with a 15 Margay and 150 XR6. But the prop I found the best might help others. I tried several and for me the best is a 23 solas scorpion.