Winn Grip disengrating

I am having an issue with my Winn Grip of about four years old disengrating in my hands, leaving a crumbling dust in my hands. Just checking if this is isolated or a sign of things to come. I have several rods that I have built over the last couple of years with them and this the first one that I did. The same thing happened to my Golf Grips....not a big deal on golf grip easy replacement not so much on rods.

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

2. Goby King
    Quote Originally Posted by Beallright View Post
    I am having an issue with my Winn Grip of about four years old disengrating in my hands, leaving a crumbling dust in my hands. Just checking if this is isolated or a sign of things to come. I have several rods that I have built over the last couple of years with them and this the first one that I did. The same thing happened to my Golf Grips....not a big deal on golf grip easy replacement not so much on rods.

pretty common. easy replacement from the rear, just like a golf grip. double sided carpet tape and lighter fluid. The last TourStar I had to replace, i ended up making an EVA grip to replace it.

Was gonna say that I've had the same thing happen on golf grips, but only the kind that look like they over-wrap tape (the golf grips I had were not over-wrapped, but looked that way). Never had issues with the regular grips either on a golf club or fishing rod. Thought I have worn down the ones on golf gloves, somehow they haven't come apart leaving the dust behind like the other style.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

4. Member
    Have one of the Tour Star rear grips that is getting close to be worn right thru. I am actually pretty hesitant now to use Winn Grips on future builds. They look great, but they dont wear very well. Back to cork for me. Little cork sealer and your good to go. Not trying to replace grips after a few years.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFan9 View Post
    Have one of the Tour Star rear grips that is getting close to be worn right thru. I am actually pretty hesitant now to use Winn Grips on future builds. They look great, but they dont wear very well. Back to cork for me. Little cork sealer and your good to go. Not trying to replace grips after a few years.
    I agree, if they get no better lifespan than these have they are not worth it. I may be glad I build rods, grips replacement may be a hot commodity here soon

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

6. Member
    I won't purchase any rods with Winn Grips due to my years of experience with their golf grips. Always liked them on my fairway woods and driver but had to replace annually due to the grips disintegrating and wearing very quick.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

Winn Grips HATE...and I mean HATE sunscreen! If you apply sunscreen then go right to fishing it eats the grips. Don't ask how I know...

I'm now back to cork or EVA and I wear sun gloves now as well.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

8. Member
    Being a long time golfer, i never understood why anyone thought winn grips on a rod were a good idea. they'll never last