Scraps

Tool for Gapping Iridium Plugs

Changing plugs in a 200 Pro XS. I've used a couple different tools one of which do I think are good and safe for the iridium plugs. I hear guys swear by the pliers, some don't, etc. What is the best for a dense German, bull in a china shop like me?
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

2. Member
    Use ONLY, repeat- USE ONLY A WIRE GAUGE WHEN GAPPING IRIDIUM PLUGS!

Plug gap should be checked via the "Go-and-No-Go Method". NEVER exert even the SLIGHTEST amount of force between the firing pin and the arm, as this will almost certainly destroy/damage the plug.

ANY gap adjustment must be made via a tool that securely grasps the ARM, and manipulates it without ANY CONTACT with the electrode or firing pin (and it's surrounding porcelain).

Very important- GRASP PLUG BY IT"S METAL HEX CENTER when gapping. Do not hold the PORCELAIN PORTION, or you will likely fracture the plug while gapping.

Example of fractured plug:

When installing plugs, a LIGHT coating of Anti-Seize on the plug threads is wise. Emphasis on LIGHT COAT.

Spark plugs should be installed with a piece of fuel line (to prevent CROSS-THREADING), and should be TORQUED WITH A TORQUE WRENCH.