Rigging Pointers

Morning all,

I have recently purchased a new to me 2017 Pro xs 200 SN:2B360040 to replace my trusty 2000 Optimax 200 SN:0T166260 i had on the boat. I am in the process of removing the old wiring from the boat and rigging it with the new digital harness, Just wondering you all have any "tips and tricks" on doing it, after i am done i have to take it by my local dealer to get a service bulletin taken care of and i was going to have him look it over at that time.

Thanks for the advice!
    2000 Ranger R91I
    2017 Mercury 200 Pro XS SN:2B360040

2. Member
    Thing that will help the most is a good wire snake. Preferably the sectional type that is reasonably rigid so that you can guide stuff high to avoid steering/shift/throttle cables that seem to snag everything you try to push through.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

3. Scraps
    For fishing wire the rigid fiberglass sticks work really well. I got a set from Harbor Fright when installing new finders. Easy to shove wires from the rod lockers, back. In a pinch you can also use a piece of 12/2 Romex too.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

4. Member
    Thanks for the advice guys, one thing that should make it easier is i am pulling the shifter and cables to change them also so one less thing to get hung up on. On a side note i know when most install a hotfoot, they just disconnect the throttle cable at the motor that goes to the shifter and leave it be in the bilge and install the longer on for the hotfoot, if you were to have the shifter and cables out of the boat already is their any reason to reinstall the throttle cable in the boat? and just have the forward/reverse cable attached to the controller?
    2000 Ranger R91I

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Really- there should not be any "un-used" cables attached to the control box. If you are not using throttle, do not install a throttle cable.

I know... there's lots of boats out there with cables sitting in the bildge, even some earlier ones with a cable strapped inside the cowling. The PROBLEM: If for some reason that throttle cable becomes impinged or binds on something, it can prevent you from SHIFTING. That, is a potential safety hazard.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thanks Don that's kinda what i was thinking just wanted make sure i was not missing something obvious.
    2000 Ranger R91I