Boat Buckle rod tie down

Anyone have any recommendations for the rod tie downs on the 202. Wanting boat buckle I think Where to mount or where not to mount. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've added these to both my Champs, including the 196 I have now. My advice is to mount them in the DECK, not the gunwhale. The strap lays much flatter and closer to the deck this way and holds my rods more securely when I'm running the lake. If you like, I can take a pic tonight of mine and show you how I did mine...

3. Member
    The concealed mounting kits are worth the extra money on those.

Be careful for the pvc tube with wiring behind the rail. It can be pulled down and moved if needed.

4. Member
    Thanks for the tips guys. Im just curious about them before I do any cutting. I’m coming out of a older zx200 skeeter and I’m really happy with the ones that came on it. I even have a extra set i bought off a guy on here for my buddie that I actually bought this 202 from. We just never got around to installing them. They are the bungee in a recessed hole on the side of boat and hook on the deck. When not in use they are basically hidden.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by boboh110 View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys. Im just curious about them before I do any cutting. I’m coming out of a older zx200 skeeter and I’m really happy with the ones that came on it. I even have a extra set i bought off a guy on here for my buddie that I actually bought this 202 from. We just never got around to installing them. They are the bungee in a recessed hole on the side of boat and hook on the deck. When not in use they are basically hidden.
    I’ve had both style, a few downfalls to the bungee system: if the bungee slips from your fingers it’s more likely to chip the gel coat due to the metal hook. I had 3 gel coat chips on my topcap because of it. The bungee will gradually weaken due to age & sunshine, mine lasted a long time; but it was getting time to replace it when I sold my Skeeter.

Downfall with the strap style, they take an 1”-1.5” of deck space on the side if mounted to the deck. That’s about the only downfall with them. I’ve had mine slip from my finger and hit the gel coat, no chips yet I assume because of the softer plastic. At times this style can be a bit tougher to hook into the notched catch, but so can the bungee above.

If I had to replace mine, I’d either go with the rubber stretch straps (not the Skeeter bungee style) or the boat buckle posted above. But since you already have the bungee and know how it works...might as well save your money if it’s in good condition.

6. Member
    Only problem I have with the bungee style is it hurts like a SOB when your put a knee on the loop thing on the deck.

7. Banned
    Yes sir, there’s no cushion on that metal loop!

8. Member
    I have a buddy that has his mounted to the locker lid. This way he can snap it over the rods and then raise the lid to get in the locker . Mine is not mounted that way. I wish it was.
    GETFISHED !!!

9. Member
    Sounds like a neat idea. We all try to slide in the locker without moving our rods.