Thread: Skin Cancer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Spotsylvania, Va. 22553. Near Frederi mm lcksburg, Va
    My best friend died of Melanoma. He had regular check up.. the found something and removed it.
    It returned 4 years later and killed him.. It ran in his family. Not sure there was anything he could do about it ..

2. Member
    Heading to the dermatologist next week for the first time in my life. Have a small spot on my head that I'm concerned with. To the OP, glad to hear it's going to be a quick fix for you.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

3. Member
    Had the first surgury today. It wasn't bad other than I don't do well with that sort of thing. I get axiety even though I no its not a big procedure. I also have a spot on my face near my eye that has to be removed. I talked with the surgeon today and have decided to go with radiation treatment. I'd rather not have the scar on my face. It will be 10 treatments, three per week. The procedure lasts a couple minutes. The doctor said that is the way he would go as well. Unfortunately it isn't cheap but I think the outcome will be better. I start those treatments tomorrow.

4. Member
    My wife works at a Dermatology and Skin Center. If she could she would have me fishing in a burqa. I definitely take more precautions since she started working there and seeing just how prevalent it is. As with most cancers the sooner it’s diagnosed the better off you are.

I go once a year religiously. More often if I notice any abnormal spots. My dermatologist told me years ago that there’s no substitute for shade. I wear a wide brim hat, long sleeve shirt, and neck gator on every fishing trip whether sunny or cloudy. Suncreen on my face and hands. And I keep an extra Tilley hat in the pontoon for weekend pleasure excursions, and stay under the Bimini unless I’m in the water.
    Clear checkups my last two visits.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

6. Member
    My doctor said people can get it without being in the sun. Said he had a patient with Melanoma under a toe nail! He said it can happen whether you are in the sun or live in a cave. More likely on people with fair skin using no sunscreen.

7. Member
    I was diagnosed with Melanoma 1.5 years ago had a 3in by 6in chunk removed from my back. I had just been to the dermatologist 4 months before and it wasnt there. Now I have to go every three months.
    Last edited by wisranger188; 06-13-2019 at 09:28 PM. Reason: adding comment

8. Banned
    Catching a fish isn’t worth it.

9. Member
    I go every 6 months and have 10-15 spots frozen off typically. Just had a biopsy on my face two weeks ago.....benign. When I fish I look like a mummy. However most of my problems are from sun abuse many years ago when we used sun tan lotion....not sun screen.

I have had 1 spot taken off and I have 2 more that I need to get removed. my family are all out door types both brothers work construction, I have worked construction so we are all outside all the time.
    any more I have gotten to where I don't wear shorts much while fishing and use the light weight fishing type shirts like Huk or Aftco and also use fingerless gloves as well. the last few shirts I have bought have hoods on them also to keep the sun off my ears as much as possible.
    I have tried the biff thing also and do not like it at all. so went with the hood

11. Member
    Early years ago, no sunscreen never heard of it, Sun burnt every weekend Fishing, Mowing, just out having fun in the sun. Paying for it now.Lots of time in Docs office.

12. Member
    I am 32 and have seven spots of concern from the doc my wife made me go see last week. Get to go see the dermatologist on July 12th. I have had one spot before when I was 20 that was cut out of my back. I wear long sleeve fishing shirts and other protective gear and use spf 100 nutregina sun screen every time I’m on the water. What is most concerning is the spots I have are in areas that are never exposed to the sun. As said above get checked by a dermatologist at least yearly. Catching this stiff early is the key.

Just had my check up. 10 areas either frozen or cut off. I have surgery July 2nd to remove basil cell carcinoma from the bridge of my nose. Not fun but it beats the alternative.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

14. Past Tournament Basser bassRN's Avatar
    Had my first MOHS procedure for basal cell carcinoma just within the last year, not a big deal. Going back in a few weeks to have a couple other spots looked at.
    JEFF SCHMIDT - NORTH PORT, FL
    '13 RANGER Z518 COMANCHE / '13 MERCURY PRO XS 200

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    I have had the keno applied to my face, head, ears, both arms several times let me tell you its very painful, you have to apply that stuff twice a day for 3 to 4 weeks until its weepy and oozy then it peels off like a sun burn but twice as miserable as a sun burn.
    Absolutely love my Columba hoodies, they bring down the heat like you wouldn't believe.
    I did this last year all I can say is Nastiest 2+weeks of my life. Really cleaned up my skin though.
    2012 Ranger Z518
    Motor Info:
    200 XS
    Serial number 1B882317
    Model number 1200P73EY

My wife has skin can Squamous cell . Its very aggressive she had many surgeries and now it's in her blood. Best thing is don't let it start. Hats sun block long sleeve shirts. And like said above see a dermatologist once a year.
    Pat C. 95 Ranger R70 125 Merc. 56Th Tac Fighter Sq. 56Th SPS Sq. USAF

Had a piece removed and biopsied that came back positive so they took a bigger football shaped chunk out of the same spot on my left rib cage area under my pec and came back negative. Been going back for check up's every six months since. Can't mess around with skin cancer.
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

Keep you lips covered too - had to get some skin burned off my lower lip a couple of years ago, that wasn't fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12