Daiwa Tatula Jerkbait Rod

Anyone have experience with the TTU701MLRB? This is the "OG" version of the Randy Howell rod. Looking to throw poppers, small cranks, and, of course, jerk baits.

I haven't bought any Daiwa rods yet but the more I look at them the closer I get. Latest "near miss" was the 7'4" frog rod in the same series when I was looking for another jig rod but bought a 7'4"H St Croix Avid X instead.

2. Member
    I say go for it I love the OG tatula rods and was lucky enough to find a brand new OG 7'2 heavy for my new jig rod last week. I now have a 7'2,7'4 , 7'6
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MAndrews View Post
    Anyone have experience with the TTU701MLRB? This is the "OG" version of the Randy Howell rod. Looking to throw poppers, small cranks, and, of course, jerk baits.

I haven't bought any Daiwa rods yet but the more I look at them the closer I get. Latest "near miss" was the 7'4" frog rod in the same series when I was looking for another jig rod but bought a 7'4"H St Croix Avid X instead.
    I have the OG Tatula 7' ML and it is an amazing rod for all of the applications you listed. SV103H on it and it's about perfect. Nice short full grip handle. I actually have a brand new one as a backup because I love the one I use so much. Don't hesitate if you can find this rod. The newer ones don't come close to the true action of the OG Howell Tatula rod.

4. Member
    Great rod. It works very well for everything you said. I have every "OG" Tatula rod they made. Love them!
    2006 Skeeter ZX225

Guess I'll go for it then. Thanks for the help!