Combining different battery sizes

Is it ok to use 2 size 27’s and a 31 in a 36 volt system? They are the same kind of batteries and they are agm.

2. Member
    In general it is not good to use batteries of different capacity (Amp-Hours) because if one battery runs down before the others they will sacrifice it by pushing current through it after being discharged.
    However so long as you are aware of this and avoid running the batteries too low it will work fine.
    A Trollbridge 36 will allow you to charge them from the 12 volt outboard alternator whenever it is running. There are two main advantages to this.
    1. Every time you start charging it puts the batteries in parallel so if there is any inequality in charge it gets equalized to compensate for the different capacities.
    2. By charging during the day you decrease the depth of discharge which is the biggest killer of batteries in series.

Ann-Marie Foster
    tech@yandina.com
    WWW.YANDINA.COM

As said above not the best way to go but it will work.
    I was out of town on a week long trip and had to replace a bad battery with with a smaller size. Instead of buying another battery when I got home I ran them until it was time to replace the other ones which was about two years later.

I would think it would be ok as those agm are not cheap, go fish a long day, have fun and then see if all is good, I bet it is. Next time when you buy batteries get all the same size.

5. Member
    I went to sams club and they only had 2 34’s I thought about making the 3rd a 31 and using that one in the loop that gets hooked up to the jumper switch. Or should I return the 34’s and go all 31’s

6. Member
    34's are generally less capacity than 27's, 29's and 31's.

If you have room, all 31's might be best.

7. Member
    Sorry my bad I bought 2 27’s not 34’s.

8. Member
    My boat came with 3-31’s. Due to lack of space in the battery area one was in the batt area and the other 2 were under the rear seat. Well this affected the performance of the boat. After some research others suggested moving two batteries back into the battery area and leave one up under the rear seat to help. Well the 31’s wouldn’t fit so I put in two 27’s and left the 31 under the rear seat. Zero issues after theee years. That includes everything from bass fishing from dark to dark, spring and summer that means 16-17 hr days up here as well as trolling for walleye all day. Plenty of juice left at the end of the day and charges just fine. Batteries are showing no sign of loosing performance. The 27’s are wet cell and the 31 is agm.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431