Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What does the VS mean

On a 2007 Reata 190VS what does the "VS" stand for? The person I talked to at Ranger didn't know.

It means it has the setback built into the back
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

Ok i will say it.... very slow, thats why i got the VX.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

Set back is correct

5. Member
    I remember when it was first launched......... and to think someone from ranger had no idea what it was....OMG , its their innovation and their idea, jeez

Hope the OP don’t mind me asking a follow-on, how about the VX?
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

7. Member
    in the 08 year model boats , vs or vx only difference was vx had more options and possibly custom colors. vs was base model and stock factory color pkg

8. Member
    VX = Tour Edition option
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    Are you saying it slow and laughing because you didnt know they also made a VS?

https://whitetail.outdoorsfirst.com/...s.asp?a=103997

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

Quote Originally Posted by larryhyco View Post
    Set back is correct
    Not so fast!!

https://whitetail.outdoorsfirst.com/...s.asp?a=103997

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

I always thought that VS was the "Short set-back" (splash well) and VX was the Longer set-back" (Toilet bowl). BUt, i've been wrong before too, lol !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

12. Member
    'VS' was originally "the original 'longer' setback", and it all started with the 400 Series boats. Those 400VS Series boats also had counterparts that were 400v Series, which were the same boat but with a flat transom (just like a 300 Series boat would have). During that time they still made 300v boats as well.

Truthfully, every one of these boats lettering (V, VS, VX, Z, Z-c and now Z-L) were the 'Comanche'/top-of-the-line version for it's particular time period ......... right up until the next 'letter' came out ........... and then what used to be the flagship model is the next version in the 'budget line' and the previous 'budget line' is phased out.

SInce he asked above ....... CigarBasser's boat (my old boat) is a prime example of a boat in 2001 that was top of the line (VX) for it's time, but later on the VX would be a budget line due to being replaced with the Z-boats (Z19, Z20, Z21, Z22) ....... which then was replaced with the Z500 Series. As all turn of events, now the Z-L Series is the top-of-the-line, the Z-c is a package boat and the Z500 is a 'budget line'.

Clear as mud???? LOL!!!!!!!!

Hope it helps.
    -391v

PS: OP ....... IDK how this applies to the Reata line of boats.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

13. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger391v View Post
    Truthfully, every one of these boats lettering (V, VS, VX, Z, Z-c and now Z-L) were the 'Comanche'/top-of-the-line version for it's particular time period ......... right up until the next 'letter' came out ........... and then what used to be the flagship model is the next version in the 'budget line' and the previous 'budget line' is phased out.
    The R boats had the VS and they were a budget boat right from the start.. as in r91vs and r81vs. So the VS didnt necessarily mean top of the line.
    VS= variable setback

14. Member
    K&K ..... Hence why I didn't bring up the R-Sport Series, they were always a budget line boat. Granted they did put the 'VS' on the end of some of the models ......... but ORIGINALLY the VS-Series was rolled out as a top-of-the-line Comanche boat and was originally debuted in the 400-Series.

To get to your point of "So the VS didn't necessarily mean top of the line" ........ that's EXACTLY part of what I was getting at in my original post .......... they (the ones I listed above) all were originally top-of-the-line until they were replaced with Ranger's next version that gets the new 'letter', and then everything gets relegated to 'yesterday's old news' (budget line).
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    Say's the guy with the 150hp.....
    Ranger 205dvs 225opti

Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    The R boats had the VS and they were a budget boat right from the start.. as in r91vs and r81vs. So the VS didnt necessarily mean top of the line.
    VS= variable setback
    To clarify, they were "budget" boats because of the limited selection of colors and options, not because of design or constructions.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Awesome. Who knew two letters could mean so much?
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

18. Member
    Not sure about a Reata VS vs VX but my 2007 188VS is no different hull wise as far as set back or anything else it's the standard features that set them apart. Think about the Z519 vs Z519C a couple of years ago. My VS is a little different as it has max HP with a 175 and a Bob's Machine hydraulic jack plate form the factory according to the build sheet. But it dosen't have lighted compartments, auto bilge, livewell pumpout, etc. and didn't have the recessed TM cutout although it's there and being 45 minutes from the factory I had the cut the deck out that covered the existing fiberglass TM recess.

19. Member
    Thanks everybody for the replies.

20. Member
    NA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast