1996 Johnson 150 FastStrike Decarb Question

Thought I would ask the experts. Just bought a new to me rig and want to decarb the motor since I have no idea when or if it has been done. Model # is J150GLEDB. I have a can of OMC Engine Tuner on the way.

My question is this, do I have to go thru the schrader valve or can I just spray thru the carbs? Also how much of the can do I need to run through the motor before I either stall the motor out or kill it to let it sit overnight?

Best I can tell is the procedure is to warm motor to operating temp then inject Engine Tuner into motor. The motor will stumble and stall once enough product is in the motor. Let set overnight then take to the lake the next morning to run WOT for around 15 min.

Does this sound correct or am I missing anything. Thank you for your expertise guys.

2. Member
    I allow my engine to get to operating temp,,shut it down,,remove air box and spray liberal amount in each carb throat, while turning engine over, with plug wires removed,,,allow it to sit over night,,, run it like I stole it the next day,,, works for me.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 185er View Post
    I allow my engine to get to operating temp,,shut it down,,remove air box and spray liberal amount in each carb throat, while turning engine over, with plug wires removed,,,allow it to sit over night,,, run it like I stole it the next day,,, works for me.
    Thanks for the reply 185er. So your engine has a schrader valve and you bypass it?

4. Member
    I don't touch it,only do as stated,,,

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I do it a bit different than 185er. I do them late in the day, I fire up the motor on muffs and let it get to temp. I don't use the shraeder valve but you can if you wish. I, like 185er remove the air box and spray the tuner fluid in to each carb WITH the motor running. I spray about a 3-5 second burst in to each carb until the motor starts to bog, then on to the next carb until it bogs etc.Then one final quick shot in to all the carbs until the motor dies. I then pull all the plugs and trim the motor up, then spray each piston top with the tuner while hitting the starter to rotate the pistons. I then put the plugs in finger tight. Let it sit overnight and then in the morning pull the plugs out and crank the motor over to blow any junk out the plug holes. Then install the plugs a tighten. Start the motor and and bring the motor up to about 1500 RPM for about 5 minutes.
    Don't do it on a concrete driveway it will stain the crap out of it and don't worry about the smoke from the exhaust the mosquitoes need killing anyway.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    I do it a bit different than 185er. I do them late in the day, I fire up the motor on muffs and let it get to temp. I don't use the shraeder valve but you can if you wish. I, like 185er remove the air box and spray the tuner fluid in to each carb WITH the motor running. I spray about a 3-5 second burst in to each carb until the motor starts to bog, then on to the next carb until it bogs etc.Then one final quick shot in to all the carbs until the motor dies. I then pull all the plugs and trim the motor up, then spray each piston top with the tuner while hitting the starter to rotate the pistons. I then put the plugs in finger tight. Let it sit overnight and then in the morning pull the plugs out and crank the motor over to blow any junk out the plug holes. Then install the plugs a tighten. Start the motor and and bring the motor up to about 1500 RPM for about 5 minutes.
    Don't do it on a concrete driveway it will stain the crap out of it and don't worry about the smoke from the exhaust the mosquitoes need killing anyway.
    ChampioNman,
    I appreciate the insight. This is the info I needed to complete this job. A big thanks to you and 185er for reaching out to help me. I agree the mosquitoes need killing. LOL

7. Member
    Does anyone else here use the ‘Dunk’ method of 1 can of Seafoam? ‘Dunk’ is Bob Dunkleberger, a boat mechanic and professional marine surveyor from NJ, of some internet reknown, and I’ve been using his process for 20+ years now. I have also successfully “resurrected” chainsaws, lawnmowers, snowblowers, and gas-powered trimmers that all “weren’t working”, so people gave them to me for free, as they thought they were junk. Did it to my old Ford Explorer and killed mosquitos for miles! Performance and fuel economy went up!

Dunk’s Decarb Procedure

This works for Carbed, EFI, Ficht, HPDI, Optimax and even 4 strokes...First you need a separate small fuel tank. One of those 3 gal red Tempos works great or an empty gal milk jug will also work, but might be a bit messier..

I use Seafoam over the OEM stuff like OMC Engine Tuner or Merc Power Tune because in the last few years they changed the formula and you have to let them sit up 12 hours. Who's got time for that?? Seafoam you can buy from NAPA, CarQuest or other auto stores. Seafoam works in 15 mins.

You'll need 3/4 gal of gasoline and one 16oz can of seafoam for each engine. Don't forget to add 3oz of oil if you are premixing in a carbed engine. Use about 3 ft piece of fuel hose off the little tank. You connect this tank to your engine by pulling off the main tank fuel hose off the intake side of your water separating fuel filter and plug the hose off the small tank on to that fitting. Or you can separate the fuel line on the tank side primer ball, so you can still use your primer. If you have an engine that has fuel plug then you need a fuel plug on the little tanks hose.

Start the engine, let it warm up and start pulling the mix into the engine. You may have to increase the idle to keep it running once she get loaded with the Seafoam. Run the engine 15 mins in the dock or just cruising around under 2500. Then shut it down and let it sit for 15 mins. Restart the engine, the smoke you see is the carbon burning off. Do the whole thing again and let her sit again for 15 mins. If she smokes after the second time do it again, but I've never seen one still smoke after three doses. The gallon mix should be enough to do this 3 times. You don't need any wide open throttle, you don't need to change the plugs. If it's cleaning the combustion chambers it's also cleaning the plugs, but every 50-60hrs is good time to change plugs in most engines.

I cleaned a antique evinrude one time that had a 1/4" of solid carbon on the exhaust chamber walls by running a 1/2 gal of the mix through it. Seafoam has been around since the 30's and it's what they used when they were burning straight 4 stroke 40SAE oils in outboards.

You guys with the 4 strokes think you are immune from this? Those engines work 10 times as hard as any auto engine ever will and they will carbon up. I bought a Bronco two years ago that had 95,000 miles on it. When I used seafoam on it I had the neighbors hanging out of their front doors looking for where the fire was after I started it the first time there so much smoke.

Too many are under the assumption that it's totally the 2 stroke oil that causes the carbon, Wrong... it's also the additives they put in the fuels today. The carbon inhibitors in 2 stroke oil are there for this reason also. Remember when gasoline used to smell like gasoline, today it smells more like bad cologne.

For those guys that like to do the carbon treatment by spraying it down the carbs Seafoam also comes in spray can called Deep Creep. It's the same stuff under pressure. Says right on the can Oxygen Sensor Safe, for you Yam guys.

After that if your engine manufacturer recommends a daily additive treatment then do that in the mean time, but all 2 stroke outboard need decarboned every 50-60hrs. If I owned a 4 stroke I would do it the same. Once you are set up with the tank and hose the Seafoam is only 5-6 bucks can. It's to easy not to do it.

8. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    When I had Carb engines I would only use the engine tuner from omc/brp.....my dfi engines only see xd-100 oil so no decarbing needed...

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yeah I know who Dunk is I used to read his stuff on BFHP. Seafoam cures everything from impotence to blindness. If you want to use Dunk's process that's cool. I've been factory trained E/J tech since 1971, Seahorse is also, I think he was on Ollie's original design team. I believe that Evinrude57 is also but can't tell as his profile isn't filled out but he appears he knows the G2s. I've worked at various dealers and have my own shop. I'll stick with what works for me I know it works.

10. Member
    Well, I was only asking the question if folks here ever heard of and/or have used the ‘Dunk method’. I don’t proclaim it to be a superior method, nor was I impugning or challenging either you or Seahorse.

Am sorry you saw it that way ... as I do greatly appreciate both you guys and the help you give us here, including that to me. There must be a back story in there somewhere, as it seems like I unintentionally ‘struck a nerve’. My regrets. Cheers!

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    No harm no foul Dale, you certainly didn't hit a nerve on my side. It is always good to have an alternative method. Salud!
    Last edited by ChampioNman; 06-13-2019 at 07:08 AM.