Not enough battery power - Z19

Upgraded to HDS Live 12 on the bow and 2 9" HDS Lives in the console of my Z19 this year. I think I am drawing a ton more power since I was running 2 7" HDS III and one 12 carbon at the bow last year and didn't seem to run into any issues. Last year all I was running was a 27 series interstate cranking battery and had no issues with power. All I have added is another power pole and upgraded electronics.

Since I had an issue Saturday during my aba I have since upgraded to a 31 series and got it fully charged for a club tournament. It made it until 2pm. I was bed fishing with power poles up and down all day, live wells running and the two consoles were not in standby. I know somefolks will just say put graphs in standby but has anyone else dealt with lack of power for full day tournaments. It seems since I started using livewells this year I am draining a ton of power.

Quick side note, I upgraded my z19 to a 36v 112 Ultrex and I have another PP pump. So 4 batteries already along with two pumps make for VERY limited space in the back. I was considering trying to squeeze a 24 series to run electronics exclusively, thoughts, opinions?

I have a 16 and 9 carbons, dual power poles. Last weekend put both livewells on High. No issue. I have the same Grp 27.

I do prolly, 50% of the time, put my 16 on standby. High PP usage in your case prolly would run my batts down, just did not need them as much. I do run around, but I also understand the new merc 4s is better on charging at low RPMs.

If i was having an issue i would get the biggest baddest battery I could. I would avoid getting a 2nd battery for electronics if at all possible.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

3. Member
    Thanks Bryan, I upgraded to that 31 thinking it wouldn't be an issue. I am so confused. I heard maybe the Lives draw more power, you know anything about that? I may call lowrance and ask.

4. Member
    How'd you do at the Ti stop? I was the blue Z21 with the one power pole tied up with rope. Broke on the way to the ramp in the morning lol.

5. Member
    Hey Sun Fish,

Managed to squeeze in 17.01 for 23rd. Frustrated because my battery died in mallets bay at 10am running beds. I still had another 15 beds to run. Should have had 18.5. Ohh well. I bought a grp 24 tray tonight, I have no idea what I am going to do LOL

6. Member
    the newer screens with high res will draw more power. I have the new garmin 8600s livescope and nmea network and with pumps going . I'm drawing over 10 amps ..after 4 hours if I deploy talons I get screen flicker on a grp31. now I got a a huge AGM house battery and small d34 Optima for dedicated starting
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 802spinnerbait View Post
    Upgraded to HDS Live 12 on the bow and 2 9" HDS Lives in the console of my Z19 this year. I think I am drawing a ton more power since I was running 2 7" HDS III and one 12 carbon at the bow last year and didn't seem to run into any issues. Last year all I was running was a 27 series interstate cranking battery and had no issues with power. All I have added is another power pole and upgraded electronics.

Since I had an issue Saturday during my aba I have since upgraded to a 31 series and got it fully charged for a club tournament. It made it until 2pm. I was bed fishing with power poles up and down all day, live wells running and the two consoles were not in standby. I know somefolks will just say put graphs in standby but has anyone else dealt with lack of power for full day tournaments. It seems since I started using livewells this year I am draining a ton of power.

Quick side note, I upgraded my z19 to a 36v 112 Ultrex and I have another PP pump. So 4 batteries already along with two pumps make for VERY limited space in the back. I was considering trying to squeeze a 24 series to run electronics exclusively, thoughts, opinions?
    All group 31 batteries are not created equally. What new battery did you purchase?

Great info in this thread: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=973666
    Last edited by remaly181; 06-11-2019 at 08:48 PM. Reason: added link