Natural live bugs for bait

So we have an abundance of these Asian Cockroaches here in the Central Valley, CA. I have often wondered how they would work on bass, trout and crappie. Only problem is I'm a bit sqweemish when it comes to handling these big ugly bugs.

Anyone using these or other alive bugs for bait?

20190610_121247.jpg
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

2. Member
    Bet it would be great on bluegill and trout. Can't say I'd want to handle them though....
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

3. Member
    Maybe a significant other can put them on the hook? I’m not touching those things.
    Red Sox in 6!

No one I know will want to handle one of these including muah.

I'm sure it would work. A guy posted on a local Facebook group last week about using some roaches that he breeds to feed to his pet reptiles and people responded that they buy them from pet stores to use for fishing.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

I should crab these and list them on eBay lol. Only problem would be I would not want to be that guy causing these bugs to spread to other parts of our country. They can be all over the ground at night time.

In reality is it really any nastier thank handling crickets or worms for panfish bait?

Yeah it is. These bugs are huge and very fast once spooked. They can crawl right up your sleeve or pant leg in no time flat. I especially don’t like how they have multiple long grippy legs that aids in climbing up virtical walls which will be rapidly flailing about when you attempt to bait them on your hooks. Eww just super creepy. Oh and did I mention these things are huge. Crickets are not as big and juicy. Eww and the big abdomen of white squishy guts. Just gross.

By all means post a video of how it’s done skeeterbait ;)

Im not afraid to handle reptiles, bugs or bees but these are on a whole other level on their own.

LOL! kinda like my wife, says she is scared of wood roaches cause they can fly and are "crunchy" if you step on one. I personally think of grubs and maggots as being nastier. No doubt live bait fishermen handle some gross critters. I handled many a hellgrammite as a kid but then watched StarGate SG1 where something like a giant hellgrammite lived in pouches in people's stomachs. Don't think it could handle one now without thinking of that. LOL!