Question 26p Fury 4 2013 Z520c with 250 Etec?

Good afternoon,
    does anyone have any experience with this set up? I have a brand new prop still in the box (26 Fury 4) but i'm wondering if this may be too much prop for my set up.
    Currently running a 26p raker II with decent top end 71-72 but it's a dog getting out of the hole in the warmer months.

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I don’t recall anyone reporting running that model/pitch prop on that boat and engine. Seems a tad bit stout. The 26 Raker II is indeed a dog on top end. A 25 4-blade would work better than a 26, but an extremely popular setup for that rig is a 3-blade Fury in 25 pitch with extra 1/4” or 5/16” vent holes for optimum takeoff. The Fury 3 is just as strong on top end as your Raker, if not stronger, and takes off a bit better even out of the box. With the extra venting, it’s an almost ideal solution.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    I’m running a 25” Fury 4 on my set up. I’ve got 4 group 31 agm batteries, dual PP blades, every compartment packed to the top with baits, and with two guys, full tank of gas and livewells I was running 68mph last weekend on Champlain.
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

4. Member
    fury 25 3 blade is the best for that boat. that's what I have and tried the prop you have as well as many others

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by z520brewer View Post
    fury 25 3 blade is the best for that boat. that's what I have and tried the prop you have as well as many others
    So if I'm running a 26 pitch Raker HO, the 25 Fury 3 blade would be an improvement?

6. Member
    OP ...... so my '09 Z520/250HO is pretty light compared to most (80lb Fortrex, 1x 8' Pro Series PP, and 3x Group 27 batteries to power everything and a Atlas jackplate).

The 26" Raker II that came on my boat is ok at best on holeshot, really it's pretty doggish in the summer especially, and hits about 3300rpm. Midrange lift is flat. Upper end RPM's is when it begins to shine. And at WOT I have to be careful b/c I can quickly hit 6000 rpm according to my tach.

I talked to Mark Croxton and he told me to get a 26" Fury 4 since I was wanting a better holeshot, midrange lift and a smoother ride. He also said that the 26" Raker is pretty stiff, even compared to the Fury props. He said the 26" Fury 4 should be pretty close to a 26" Raker II as far as RPM's are concerned.

So against Croxton's advice, I bought a 25" Fury 4 ......... mainly based on all the google searches and reading old posts on BBC. Holeshot with all PVS plugs out was +4000rpm and the only time I lost sight of the horizon was if both gas tanks were full and the livewell was full (plus I always have a partner). I never got to WOT b/c at 3/4 throttle I was already easily hitting 5500rpm. I did put 2 solid PVS plugs in it the second time I took it out in hopes of taming the holeshot-RPM's down some, it helped some (3700'ish) and the time to plane was still about the same.

Last week I traded the prop (25" Fury 4) with a fella here on BBC for his 26" Fury 4. It wasn't until lunchtime today that I've had a chance to mount it on my eTec. Thus it won't be until this weekend at least before I can run it.

Just remember that my boat is pretty light compared to most on here ..... meaning most run dual poles/Talons and 4x Group 31's.

I hope it helps.
    -391v
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

7. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    And to chime back in, I ran two Z520s (2012 and 2014) with the Evinrude 250 HO. On both, I found that the 25 Fury was the best combination of hole shot and top end speed so long as it had the extra vent holes for hot summertime water. My Z520s, however, were not the lightest, as I had 4 group 31 batteries in mine. Never had a bit of trouble with over-revving on takeoff, because I had plenty of adjustment possible via the PVS plugs. [Mine ran best after extra vent holes added with a solid plug and the rest open.] With just me in the boat, it topped out right at 6000 rpms, which is the max, but a) I didn’t often run flat out open, and b) I usually had a partner, and c) if it looked like it might exceed 6000, I could always back off just a tad. Take all that for what it’s worth. No way would either of my Z520s ever turn more than allowable rpms with a 36 volt system and a partner, let alone livewell full. But everyone loads differently.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Great info so far guys thank you.
    Ranger 391V curious to find out what you find out.
    Also can anyone tell me what merc hub I should get to fit the fury on my etec whichever that may be?

9. Member
    I'd have to go out to the shop to go look to be certain ............ but I'm 99% that it's a Quicksilver 8M0119081.

I can check tomorrow and will post back if it's different.

I went out to the shop this morning before work to double check for you ........ and the part number above is correct (or at least it's correct as in 'the one that I'm using ..... LOL).

Good Luck! and I hope it helps.
    -391v
    Last edited by Ranger391v; 06-12-2019 at 08:06 AM. Reason: double checked part # or correctness

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger391v View Post
    I'd have to go out to the shop to go look to be certain ............ but I'm 99% that it's a Quicksilver 8M0119081.

I can check tomorrow and will post back if it's different.

I went out to the shop this morning before work to double check for you ........ and the part number above is correct (or at least it's correct as in 'the one that I'm using ..... LOL).

Good Luck! and I hope it helps.
    -391v
    thank you!

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by a 5 basslimit View Post
    Good afternoon,
    does anyone have any experience with this set up? I have a brand new prop still in the box (26 Fury 4) but i'm wondering if this may be too much prop for my set up.
    Currently running a 26p raker II with decent top end 71-72 but it's a dog getting out of the hole in the warmer months.

I run the exact same boat and and motor combo (2013 also) as you have. It has a manually adjustable jackplate. I get 74.4 running fairly light turning 6200 RPM. Hole shot is really good once you find the right plug setup. Right now I have all the plugs removed and it will blow out if I don't back off the gas once it starts breaking over. I'm not sure of my prop shaft height but I do remember it wants to run better higher than I thought and had to keep raising the motor to get the speed.
    I also had a 26 fury 3 blade that performed about the same until I found a stump that messed it up bad and switched to the 4 blade. The 4 blade does seem to ride better in rougher water.

12. Member
    'a 5 bass' ......... sorry this is going to be long ...... but hopefully there is some good data in here for you ......

So I got a chance to take the boat out one evening this past weekend and run it a little with the Fury4 26". Keep in mind that it was only 4x holeshots, 3x 3,500 rpm runs across the lake and 1x WOT burst back to the ramp ...... so no long term repetitive data so to speak. I'm only reporting this because you said you were interested in knowing what I found out (short term).

Water was 81F and mill pond slick, Air was 80F (cool for our summer standards), Port side fuel - Full, Starboard side - 1/2 tank. Livewells were Full. Partner & an average load (gear).

Holeshot. I liked it. Motor spooled up to 3,500rpm instantly and pulled hard the entire time, while climbing to 4,000rpm just as she was breaking over. Didn't sound like it was free spinning even though I had no PVS plugs in the 8 holes, and it didn't blow out when breaking over. Time to plane was faster than the Raker 26", but maybe a tad slower than the Fury4 25" (which would be expected). I mostly had the Prop shaft height at 3.5" below (#6 for my Atlas). I did try it at 2.75" below (#9 on gauge) and had the same results.

Midrange. Boat definitely rides better over wakes with the Fury4 (25" & 26") compared to the stock Raker 26". Lift was decent. It still feels like the bow is a little low, but as soon as you start getting +4,000rpm she starts really waking up. I think some of this 'bow is low' is because I just came out of an Xpress X19 w/200. Fury4 26" bit nicely and would set you back in the seat when you punched it. I did notice that the bow lifted a little better at 3.5" below than when I started raising it to 2.75" below (#6 vs #9 on the Atlas).

WOT. So I didn't have much time to really see what WOT was going to do. I had my dad with me, and to be honest he ain't real wild about anything past 55-60mph. We pulled past 55mph so fast it wasn't even funny. LOL Jackplate set at #9 (2.75" below), water pressure at 25psi, 3/4 trim'ish, 5800RPM's, 70.4mph ..... and I was running out of real estate quickly so I never mashed the hotfoot all the way ..... but it was pretty close. Boat drove/rode extremely stable and not a hint of chinewalk (thus that tells me that it could stand to go up on the jackplate a little).

I want to say that I read somewhere that most guys are running their Fury4's a little higher (like 2.5" to 2.25" below). Hopefully I'll get a chance to try that height soon. Technically there is still 200rpm's that I can gain until I hit max recommended RPM for my '09 motor.

Hope it helps ......... and with that said, if anybody has recommendations for me, I'm all ears.

Take Care.
    -391v

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger391v View Post
    'a 5 bass' ......... sorry this is going to be long ...... but hopefully there is some good data in here for you ......

So I got a chance to take the boat out one evening this past weekend and run it a little with the Fury4 26". Keep in mind that it was only 4x holeshots, 3x 3,500 rpm runs across the lake and 1x WOT burst back to the ramp ...... so no long term repetitive data so to speak. I'm only reporting this because you said you were interested in knowing what I found out (short term).

Water was 81F and mill pond slick, Air was 80F (cool for our summer standards), Port side fuel - Full, Starboard side - 1/2 tank. Livewells were Full. Partner & an average load (gear).

Holeshot. I liked it. Motor spooled up to 3,500rpm instantly and pulled hard the entire time, while climbing to 4,000rpm just as she was breaking over. Didn't sound like it was free spinning even though I had no PVS plugs in the 8 holes, and it didn't blow out when breaking over. Time to plane was faster than the Raker 26", but maybe a tad slower than the Fury4 25" (which would be expected). I mostly had the Prop shaft height at 3.5" below (#6 for my Atlas). I did try it at 2.75" below (#9 on gauge) and had the same results.

Midrange. Boat definitely rides better over wakes with the Fury4 (25" & 26") compared to the stock Raker 26". Lift was decent. It still feels like the bow is a little low, but as soon as you start getting +4,000rpm she starts really waking up. I think some of this 'bow is low' is because I just came out of an Xpress X19 w/200. Fury4 26" bit nicely and would set you back in the seat when you punched it. I did notice that the bow lifted a little better at 3.5" below than when I started raising it to 2.75" below (#6 vs #9 on the Atlas).

WOT. So I didn't have much time to really see what WOT was going to do. I had my dad with me, and to be honest he ain't real wild about anything past 55-60mph. We pulled past 55mph so fast it wasn't even funny. LOL Jackplate set at #9 (2.75" below), water pressure at 25psi, 3/4 trim'ish, 5800RPM's, 70.4mph ..... and I was running out of real estate quickly so I never mashed the hotfoot all the way ..... but it was pretty close. Boat drove/rode extremely stable and not a hint of chinewalk (thus that tells me that it could stand to go up on the jackplate a little).

I want to say that I read somewhere that most guys are running their Fury4's a little higher (like 2.5" to 2.25" below). Hopefully I'll get a chance to try that height soon. Technically there is still 200rpm's that I can gain until I hit max recommended RPM for my '09 motor.

Hope it helps ......... and with that said, if anybody has recommendations for me, I'm all ears.

Take Care.
    -391v
    ok thanks again for the info!
    Last edited by a 5 basslimit; 06-18-2019 at 07:52 PM.