Is it possible to patch a hole in your fuel tank?

Hello everyone, I accidentally punctured a decent size hole on my fuel tank (2003 Tr186). Is it possible to patch the hole? If not then where could I purchase a new tank for it?

Thanks!

2. Member
    You can get some patching material from an auto parts store. It takes some type of special stuff to patch it but it can be done. No doubt a new tank would be better if you can find one. I'd say that would be almost an exclusive dealer only type item unless you can find a generic one that would fit. Most are custom made for your specific boat though.

3. Member
    How? How big, and top or bottom?

I would not recommend patching a fuel tank. They are made from crosslinked polyethylene and not a standard plastic or polyethylene that the patch kits are made for. Nothing will stick and hold on crosslink over time. Remember you’re talking about a gas tank not a live well or cooler. Leaking gas is a bomb waiting to go off.

BTW, I worked in the plant that probably built that tank originally. It’s either a Moeller tank or Inca. Good news is now they’re the same company. If you can get the part number off of the tank label and call them (931-738-8090) (it will say Dometic when you call) they may still have the mold and be able to make you a new tank.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hale View Post
    I would not recommend patching a fuel tank. They are made from crosslinked polyethylene and not a standard plastic or polyethylene that the patch kits are made for. Nothing will stick and hold on crosslink over time. Remember you’re talking about a gas tank not a live well or cooler. Leaking gas is a bomb waiting to go off.

BTW, I worked in the plant that probably built that tank originally. It’s either a Moeller tank or Inca. Good news is now they’re the same company. If you can get the part number off of the tank label and call them (931-738-8090) (it will say Dometic when you call) they may still have the mold and be able to make you a new tank.
    Excellent information....hope I never need it but that is good information to save for future needs, just in case!

6. Member
    Wondering how you will get the tank in the boat?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tableorcktrtion View Post
    Wondering how you will get the tank in the boat?
    It’s very easy. The tank is under the seats and the seats are attached to a metal platform. The platform is held in place by screws on the side of the driver’s seat and the passenger’s seat. There are screws also in the back deck. You have to open the rear storage compartments and the livewell lids to see them. Once the screws are removed, the platform lifts straight up and the tank will be right there. I think Bob McKenzie on this forum had some photos a few years ago. I think I still have some old photos too.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

8. Member
    I’ll be damned. Always wondered what if. 06-tr186 here

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tableorcktrtion View Post
    I’ll be damned. Always wondered what if. 06-tr186 here
    Yours may be different. I don’t remember the year, but they made a change to the seat area. They did away with the metal platform. The platform became part of the fiberglass top deck. You couldn’t replace the tank without removing the top cap. That would be a major pain to replace one of those.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike