Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recommend a 7’3” or 7’4” heavy jig rod under $200

I am interested in a flipping/pitching rod that is light weight, sensitive, and not quite as long or heavy as a flipping stick. I have two of the Falcon Bucoo in 7’4” heavy action and want something about the same length and weight, but with a slightly stouter action and no micro guides. (They are annoying when using braid with a fluorocarbon leader; knot hangs up in the guides.) Love my Bucoos, but occasionally I get slightly outgunned on large fish in cover, plus I don’t like the guides so much. Would be using 40-50 pound braid with 20 pound leader. Ideal price point: maybe $125-150. No pool cues, please, as accuracy on long pitches is a must. Thanks in advance for your input.
    Last edited by jc2bg; 06-10-2019 at 02:28 PM. Reason: corrected details on current rods
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

2. Member
    I'm liking the Dobyns Fury FR735C for exactly the application you describe. It's 7'3" and is listed as a mag heavy It has "normal" guides. Usually runs ~$99-119 at the Academy here.

Have a look at the Daiwa Tatula Elite 7'3" Heavy Pitchin'/Flippin' model. It's a very nice rod for well under $200 at The Tackle Trap using the "BBC10" discount code...

ALX Rods Hammer 73 is pretty awesome., $154.99 and built in US. Rod weighs in at 4.5 oz and is every bit of a Heavy power. Great feel and very nimble in hand.

I only fish braid to fluoro or braid to mono and have ZERO issues with knots passing.

We actually have a bundle sale going on for Father's Day. Any IKOS series + Clothing/Accessory - 12% off. Discount applies in cart after both items are added.

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Good suggestions.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    Have a look at the Daiwa Tatula Elite 7'3" Heavy Pitchin'/Flippin' model. It's a very nice rod for well under $200 at The Tackle Trap using the "BBC10" discount code...
    I will second the Tatula elite. Great rod and great series of rods overall.
    2009 Triton 18x3 Pro

7. Member
    I don't have that specific Tatula model, but I own 5 Tatula Elites's. In both AGS and non AGS. They are awesome rods!
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    ALX Rods Hammer 73 is pretty awesome., $154.99 and built in US. Rod weighs in at 4.5 oz and is every bit of a Heavy power. Great feel and very nimble in hand.

I only fish braid to fluoro or braid to mono and have ZERO issues with knots passing.

We actually have a bundle sale going on for Father's Day. Any IKOS series + Clothing/Accessory - 12% off. Discount applies in cart after both items are added.
    I will 2nd this suggestion, unequivocally. I started out with one Hammer 73 and ended up buying 2 more. This rod has an incredible amount of "muscle" in the belly of the rod and I've never had a fish that I couldn't turn with it, yet it is so light in my hand and it has perfect action at the tip that it makes accurately placing a 1/4 oz jig a breeze. I find the 7'3" length to be so much more user friendly in tight quarters as opposed to a rod that is 7'6" or more....the added bonus (and my reason for buying 2 more) is that it doubles as an awesome C-Rig rod and also a REALLY good frog rod. My rod arsenal is quickly converting over to ALX, because the product is just that much better than what is out there at any price point and they are made right here in the greatest country in the world!

9. Member
    I wonder what spec diff is on your bucco to the lowrider 7'4" heavy jig rod. The lowrider has the slightly larger eyes as well. The micro on a few of the buccos I used have been kinda weak imo but other then that have been good.

10. Member
    Dobyns Sierra 735c

If you can stretch out another $30 the St Croix Avid X 7'4" H is a great rod for the money.

12. Member
    I'll throw in another vote for the tat elite 7'3 heavy, nice rod. I will say though, ish's 7'4 frog rod with ags guides is a huge step up if you can swing the $$.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknobber bot View Post
    I'll throw in another vote for the tat elite 7'3 heavy, nice rod. I will say though, ish's 7'4 frog rod with ags guides is a huge step up if you can swing the $$.
    I agree. Even though its called a frog rod, it's an excellent jig rod. It's amazing how much difference those AGS guides make...

14. Member
    X3 ALX Hammer 73

Like I always seem to do, I'll roll in with the Phenix Feather recommendation. 7'3" XH checks in at $170 MSRP and fishes like most other companies' heavy power. Extremely light and sensitive, can't be touched at the price point in my opinion. Makes a hell of a frog rod too.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

16. Member
    X4 on the ALX. Awesome rods.

X5 on ALX. I ordered another one Tuesday.

18. Member
    Falcon Cara Amistad 7'3".

If the Falcon Expert spinning rod is any indication of how good the casting rods are, then I would recommend them. I know that might sound a little ridiculous to compare the two, but I'm so impressed with my Expert spinning that I would consider some of the casting ones if I decide to upgrade.
    I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

20. Member
    I use a original tatula 7'2 tatula heavy and really like it. You can find some original ones on Amazon.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast