Thread: Starting Issues

Starting Issues

2002 Merc 125hp Serial #0T538993

I had some issues starting my motor while fishing this weekend. When I turned the key it sounded like the starter was spinning but not engaging the flywheel. I pulled the cowl and confirmed this. Then I spun the starter with my fingers and when I turned the key again it fired right up. I had to do this a few more times throughout the day but I was able to get it going each time. My starting battery was fully charged and working perfectly, no problems there. Do I need a new starter or is there something I should check first?

If I do need a starter, is it as easy to replace as it looks? I'm not a mechanic but consider myself handy with tools and not afraid to pull things apart.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

2. Member
    I'm not a mechanic either but this is my theory. It sounds like the little gear is not popping up to engage the flywheel. I would pull that gear up and put a (little) grease on that shaft. Try that and see if that solves your issue.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Topwater 2 View Post
    I'm not a mechanic either but this is my theory. It sounds like the little gear is not popping up to engage the flywheel. I would pull that gear up and put a (little) grease on that shaft. Try that and see if that solves your issue.
    I did try to pull that little gear up but it would not move. I could only spin it. Am I supposed to be able to pull it up by hand?
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

4. Member
    does sound like starter needs replacing , pretty easy
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................