Thread: Horn Question

Horn Question

The horn on my 2003 Nitro hasn't worked for awhile and I'd like to fix it. (Don't use it but can't stand not having anything not working!)

I'm going to replace the button switch and the horn just to cover all the bases.... but my question is:

DO I NEED A HORN RELAY?

I can't seem to locate any horn relay under the dash and the lame wiring diagram that I do have doesn't show one.

I've read that you don't need one with newer horns and the relay may be "built in"

2. Member
    The horns only draw apx 6A, so a relay is not needed. The horn will have two connecions, one straight to ground the other to the switch and the switch to a fuse to positive.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    BTW, a working horn is required by law in waters where USCG has jurisdiction.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    Got it...was not getting good connection. Tightened all the female spade connectors where they curl to grab the male spade....good to go. Thanks!

Makes me think that someday soon I should spend an hour or 2 pulling female spade connections and improving their connection.