Inteference issue on 999CI

Hi All,
    I'm wondering if anyone can help me with an interference issue I'm having on a new-to-me 999CI. I have it hooked up to the US2 on my Maxxum. Everything works great until I hit the foot pedal on the Maxxum, then the screen goes all haywire. Once I let go of the pedal everything returns back to normal. I have the 999CI power connected to the existing wiring at the bow. Does this look like a power cable issue or transducer issue? I took a video and uploaded it to Youtube here.

2. Member
    Was the transducer working on your previous unit? Or were you not using it?

I just got a new (used) boat and just purchased the Maxxum and 999 separately to install on the boat, so I don't know if the US2 was working for sure before. The guy I bought it from said it was...

Quote Originally Posted by blakjack23 View Post
    I just got a new (used) boat and just purchased the Maxxum and 999 separately to install on the boat, so I don't know if the US2 was working for sure before. The guy I bought it from said it was...
    A 999 is a Side Imaging unit. You have the 959ci HD Combo sonar model.

You can get RFI via the transducer cable or the power cable. Looks like the US2 is working OK, you are getting 2D/Depth.

You can start by disconnecting the battery charger from the starting battery if you have a multi-bank charger that does the trolling motor battery/s and the starting battery to eliminate that path.

Next is separate the transducer cable from the trolling motor power cable if you have them tied together. Route the transducer cable along the mount to the deck.

The next step if needed is to contact Humminbird Customer Service to for suggestions for dealing with RFI.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Thanks Wayne, you're correct, its a 959ci. I was confusing it with the 1199 I purchased for my console.

I don't have a multibank connected to the trolling and starting batteries, I only have a 2 bank connected just to the two trolling batteries.

I'm not sure I can separate the transducer cable from the power cable as they are all inside the one large grouping that goes from the head down to the foot pedal. Then the US2 connection (and power cables) comes out of the foot pedal. (Not sure if that made sense).

I have an old Humminbird 2d TM transducer, so maybe I'll put that on and see what happens. I also started running dedicated wires last night from the cranking battery up to the bow. I'm hoping those two things help, but wanted to get some other opinions in case I'm missing something. TBH, I wouldn't even care about a little interference, but it really wrecks havoc and changes the depth and everything.

6. Member
    Blackjack, had same issue doing same thing. Just posted new thread explaining what I did to cure mine. Might not work for you but my is cured .