Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2.7 liter Ecoboost Towing

For those that have I was wondering how the 2.7 liter Ecoboost handles towing? Currently tow a R83 Ranger and Basscat Pantera Classic. I have searched all my local dealers and the 3.5 liter is almost none existent in their inventory but the 2.7 is readily available.

2. Member
    I have the 3.5 and love it. I just did a trip to Lake Champlain and drove through the Adirondack mountains with no trouble at all towing a Phoenix 920. I wouldn't go with anything less than the 3.5 in my opinion.
    Phoenix 2021 721 ProXP
    250 V8 ProXS

3. Member
    Son has 2.7. Pulls very good

4. Member
    My neighbor has the 2.7 and a tin boat, loves it. I’m on my second 3.5, the latest is the ten speed. For me more than half my truck use is with my Ranger in tow. Just my preference, it pulls my new Z119 effortlessly.

5. mikesxpress
    2011 EB and now a 2018 EB with the 10 speed. I tow my dual axle Z21 Ranger Intracoastal in Eco mode while in flat areas and tow/haul mode in hilly terrain and it doesn't miss a beat. Before I ordered this last truck I towed the boat to the Ford dealer and swapped the stabber/boat to a lot truck with the smaller EB engine for a towing test with my sales guy. Neither one of us were impressed. While the small EB engine may be ok for a single axle light tin rig, it suffered horribly try to move my big glass rig from a dead stop. That eliminated it and I stuck with the 3.5. 18-22 mph hwy and 15-17 towing.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    2011 EB and now a 2018 EB with the 10 speed. I tow my dual axle Z21 Ranger Intracoastal in Eco mode while in flat areas and tow/haul mode in hilly terrain and it doesn't miss a beat. Before I ordered this last truck I towed the boat to the Ford dealer and swapped the stabber/boat to a lot truck with the smaller EB engine for a towing test with my sales guy. Neither one of us were impressed. While the small EB engine may be ok for a single axle light tin rig, it suffered horribly try to move my big glass rig from a dead stop. That eliminated it and I stuck with the 3.5. 18-22 mph hwy and 15-17 towing.
    I have 60,000 miles on my 2.7 and I tow a Triton 216 Fishunter / 300 Verado and I have no problem at all towing this boat. I also did a test drive / tow before I bought this truck to make sure it would tow this boat, 5500 lbs boat, trailer, motor and gear.

7. Member
    At what speed on the highway in eco mode towing are you getting 15-17 mpg
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

8. mikesxpress
    Phil hwy is 65-70 mph.

9. mikesxpress
    Randy I already had a 2011 1st gen 3.5 EB when I tow tested the 2.7 and used that as a basis for comparison. It just didn't come close to the 3.5.
    What are your mpg #'s towing and not towing?

10. Scraps
    Just started towing with my 2.7, 4900lb Phoenix, and ti does really well. It does drive different when in tow, engine growls a little more, but no problem with power. I test drove the 3.5 and it's got LOTS of power but the 2.7 does just fine. With the tow package cooling good for 8k lbs towing!
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

11. mikesxpress
    Kurt what are your mpg #'s towing and not towing?

12. Scraps
    Kurt what are your mpg #'s towing and not towing?
    I wanna say around 17.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

2018 sport xlt cc 2.7 10 speed with 6800 miles.
    I've had it hooked up to my 20' champ tandem axle ti trailer from day one.
    I tow mostly local with a small grade to the lake.
    Never felt the need to have to run in tow mode it's been a strong runner.
    Issues I have noticed with truck are with the electric steering, it tracks to the left and is a none issue with these trucks that ford is pretty much sweeping under the table and not addressing.
    also the aux fan has been acting up. at start up it feels like its in high mode and stays that way, it started doing this before the summer heat started up so I know that's not the issue, I had just had it serviced to....
    over all I like the truck and would recommend it. The leasing programs on certain trucks is hard to beat. I have a 09 i purchased and sold my son, good truck but nothing like the knowledge that its 100* covered and I'll just do it again in 2.5 years.

14. Member
    17 Tundra Towing 65 mph 13.5 mpg, 70 mph 11.5 to 12 mpg
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

15. mikesxpress
    The Toyota's are known for there lack of fuel mileage but they are a solid truck.

I have ordered my trucks for going on 25 years now.
    Has to be a long bed, carpet delete, dumbo towing mirrors, 4X4, captains seats and console, no nonsense amenities. Looks like a gray school bus but it rides great and holds all my deer/elk hunting stuff.

Last edited by mikesxpress; 06-13-2019 at 03:49 PM.

16. Member
    Our results are similar to yours.

We have a '17 SCREW XLT FX4 Max Tow which is 3.55 rears being turned by the 3.5L Twin Turbo.

On a 5 hour trip with our RT188 and the cruise set on 75 we got 17 MPG in Tow/Haul mode.

My wife gets 21-22 daily back and forth to work which is almost 50 miles round trip.

We have gotten 26 on trips before loaded down for vacation.

They really do get excellent mileage as long as you keep it out of Sport Mode!
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

I have a 3.5 and son has a 2.7. Hard to notice a difference unless you really get in them. 2.7 does average a little better mileage.

18. Banned
    I have a 2.7 eb. Pulls my ranger z118 without any problems and I've towed my buddies 20ft Lund with any issues as well. Solid boat puller wouldn't hesitate to get another one.

19. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDozer66 View Post
    Our results are similar to yours.

We have a '17 SCREW XLT FX4 Max Tow which is 3.55 rears being turned by the 3.5L Twin Turbo.

On a 5 hour trip with our RT188 and the cruise set on 75 we got 17 MPG in Tow/Haul mode.

My wife gets 21-22 daily back and forth to work which is almost 50 miles round trip.

We have gotten 26 on trips before loaded down for vacation.

They really do get excellent mileage as long as you keep it out of Sport Mode!
    Lynn my 2011 I ordered with the max tow and 3.55's as I was pulling a 26' beaver tail trailer with my 50hp Ford tractor and it did great. Tractor is gone and I opted to eliminate the max tow on the 2018 and up the gears to get more mpgs. I don't regret it one bit as it pulls this heavy 21' pig Ranger just fine. After messing with the 10 speed for over a year now I change the trans options based on road conditions to get the best mileage. Stop/go or grades/hilly terrain and the tow haul gets turned on to keep the tranny from seeking gears. Slight grades with lots of flats and it goes to normal mode. Flat roads get Eco mode when up to hwy speeds.

I would suggest anyone looking at these two EB engines do a test tow on each one before you buy.

20. Member
    I have 2012 Lariat with a 3.5 eco and tow a 190 ls Ranger Reata weight approximately 4000lbs. I only get about 12.5 mpg in tow mode or normal mode. On the road with no boat running 55 to 65 can get up to 21 mpg. Love the truck and the power and do not have the max tow package. One question, what is Eco mode?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast