Johnson 175 Fuel issue

Issue started a few trips ago. After the motor got warm it would sometimes cut off as soon as you put it in gear or after I idled for a few minutes. This past Saturday it has gotten to the point that I have to pump the bulb after every stop and when I slow idle it will die. If I hold the throttle 1/4-1/2 it will turn over 7-8 times then fire up after a slow idle, but if it sets more than a few minutes you have to pump the bulb and sometimes I have to get someone to pump the bulb as I try and crank it. As soon as I let off the gas it dies. It will run wide open fine if you just put in gear and go.

Motor is a 2004 Johnson 175 carbed engine. Believe it is the same block as a Fast Strike.

2. Member
    I’d try a new bulb, Evinrude brand only. Install vertically with flow going upwards to help check valves stay seated.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Check your carbs for leaks, the bowls could be warped. Check the vapor pump and make sure it is working properly. Check the cap on the vapor tank make sure it isn't warped. Check the fuel filter that is inside the vapor tank look for debris.

4. Member
    Not sure I know what the vapor tank or pump is. Also forgot to mention the VRO has been disabled and I mix my gas and oil.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    That won't make any difference, fuel goes in to the fuel bracket the same place. If you are unsure then take it to a dealer. Or if you want to try and trouble shoot the issue then get a factory service manual.

6. Member
    Talked with the mechanic I always use, he seems to think it’s probably the diaphram inside the VRO fuel pump. I’m assuming this is what you are talking about champ?

7. Member
    vapor tank is located just above vro are where it was removed

8. Member
    I’m pretty mechanically inclined, if I follow the fuel line in to the motor, if I swap the part out is that all it would take if that’s the issue? I checked all the carbs last night. None are leaking or if they are I can’t tell. They weren’t wet under the bowls.

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You need to troubleshoot and see if that is the issue. There are rebuild kits available, but you need to follow the directions to a T.