Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LiveScope trolling motor vs. pole mount

I just installed a pole mount and wanted to give my impressions vs a trolling motor shaft mount.

Pole mount Pros:

1. You can remove the 8 degree wedge and replace it with a zero degree
    2. No spot lock issues
    3. You can make very fine tune adjustments to get a perfect image
    4. You can easily find your lure on the screen every time
    5. Limits interference

Cons:

1. Expensive
    2. Not as easy to move the transducer vs a trolling motor pedal
    3. If the structure is to the left of your trolling motor and the pole is mounted to the right, the trolling motor shaft does block part of the image...it literally looks like a trolling motor shaft shadow (but honestly you barely notice it)

Overall, the pole mount is the way to go if you use spot lock or you want to scan boat docks while the boat is moving straight. The ability to make very small adjustments left or right to get a perfect picture also helped. You see the structure, fish and your lure better. Because I have a zero degree mount, the lure now shows up on the screen exactly where I thought it would...which helps target fish.

2. Member
    I just did a pole mount, and was about to put it back on my trolling motor. I see no clearer picture, in fact, it might be worse. I also put it deeper on the pole mount, thinking that would help clear the picture, and when I turn my trolling motor, it hits the transducer. When you say "wedge" what do you mean, and how can you take the wedge out? Thank you.

When you mount the transducer on the trolling motor shaft there is an 8 degree angle on the Garmin mount. This is to prevent the transducer signals from hitting the trolling motor. On eBay they sell a mount without the 8 degrees so the transducer points straight down.

If your trolling motor is hitting your transducer then your transducer is too low. Here is how mine operates:

4. Member
    What mount are you using on your Livescope j791?

Here is the one I use. They make a model specifically for the Ultrex. I actually reversed the handle that came with it and put a socket in the handle and then epoxied a swivel socket to the top of the mounted self. This was a very quick and cheap way to rotate the transducer 360° with just the twist of my wrist.

https://thebassboatladder.com/shop?o...ansducer-mount

I have a pole built, but until I upgrade to the Ultrex with spotlock, I think I am going to keep it on the trolling motor. I did buy the 0 degree mount on ebay to remove the cant.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j791 View Post
    Here is the one I use. They make a model specifically for the Ultrex. I actually reversed the handle that came with it and put a socket in the handle and then epoxied a swivel socket to the top of the mounted self. This was a very quick and cheap way to rotate the transducer 360° with just the twist of my wrist.

https://thebassboatladder.com/shop?o...ansducer-mount
    Thanks for the link. Do you have any close up pics of the mod you did to get it to rotate?

The key to the setup is actually finding a strong light weight handle. You do not want a heavy handle. The epoxy works well with metal, but will not hold on PVC. That is why I used the handle that came with my mount...it is very lightweight yet strong aluminum. I simply flipped the handle and put a 5/8 socket on the open end and a 3/8 swivel socket on the top of the mount itself. The handle slides on and off just like it would on a socket wrench.

9. Member
    Very nice! Thanks for the pics, that helps immensely.

10. Member
    I made my mount from an old MK trolling motor. I used a different type of swivel socket and small PVC pipe for the handle. 20190610_202118.jpg

11. Member
    I did this but instead of epoxy I just drilled on through the metal tube and used the set screw on the metal collar to hold the swivel socket in place, that way if the swivel socket ever rusted or broke all I have to do is remove the set screw and replace the swivel socket.

12. BassBlood
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyju View Post
    I have a pole built, but until I upgrade to the Ultrex with spotlock, I think I am going to keep it on the trolling motor. I did buy the 0 degree mount on ebay to remove the cant.
    Does the trolling motor bullet get in the way when in the down position on the transducer without the cant?

No, the only difference I notice with the 0 degree cant is it makes it easier to locate your bait.

14. Member
    Now that you guys have had a little time to use your products, do you still like or prefer the pole mount vs the direct-to-the-trolling-motor mounting option?

Hands down pole mount. I can now sit in the middle of the lake in 20mph winds on spot lock with no issues. I can make very fine adjustments to get just the right image. The picture looks like it has less interference. I was able to take the 8 degree wedge out so the transducer points straight down...this means my bait shows up on the sonar unit right where I drop it in the water. The pointer on the pole points exactly where the transducer is pointed...if I drop my bait in front of the pointer it shows up on LiveScope 100% of the time.

16. Member
    Very good to hear. Any issues with the mount itself? Do you find it cumbersome to stow/deploy? Any issues with the setup when you are going down the lake? Any cover issues?

How often do you find yourself adjusting the position while you fish. Just as needed I guess, right? Do you find that is distracts you from actually fishing a set of docks or down a rip/rap bank, or make does it make you more productive in your casts?

17. Member
    Another question on your setup. You have yours mounted on the starboard side. When you pan to the port side, does the trolling motor head or shaft every block your view to the port side?

No issues with the mount. It is bolted to the trolling motor so deploying and stowing is nothing more than raising and lowering the trolling motor. The only cumbersome part is you have to take the handle on and off. It’s as easy as snapping on and off a socket from a socket wrench so not bad at all. I fish a lot of brush on spot lock, I adjust as needed on windy days but usually little adjustment is needed. You can adjust the tension so no worries about the transducer moving while trolling. The trolling motor shaft does block the transducer...it looks like a black line on the screen when scanning port side...but it doesn’t bother me at all. It’s almost unnoticeable. As for distracting, my neck and back literally hurt the next day. As dumb as this sounds, I will get on my hands and knees just to watch the fish eat my lure on the screen. So is it distracting, kinda...but not because of the pole.
    Last edited by j791; 06-26-2019 at 07:12 PM.

19. Member
    OT in a way. I wonder if the new Garmin TMs will anything special on it for mounting of Livescope transducer.

20. Member
    Yeah, maybe with a completely different rotating head for the transducer that follows the direction of your cast.......hey, a guy can dream, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast