No spark 1979 40hp 402

Hello,

Im looking for some help diagnosing a spark problem on this engine. Im not getting spark. I replaced the stator last year simply because the wiring was completely rotten. After that i didnt use the boat much but it ran. Then one day it just died. I checked the orange kill wire as recommended to see if it was an ignition problem and still nothing. I then removed the two yellow wires from the rectifier and instantly i had spark. I replaced the rectifier and with it hooked up still no spark? Any assistance would be appreciated. (2 years ago i replaced the engine wiring harness due to rotten wires)

thanks

Bart

2. Member
    got a serv manual so you can do some testing on ign system ???? ohm test stator trigger
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    The stator is brand new i just replaced it last year. I have a multi meter but not the dva adapter ive read about.

thanks

4. Member
    Any help on this? The boat will start right up with the rectifier unhooked. With the dva i dont get good voltage with the rectifier hooked up. Unhooked i get higher but not in spec then unhook the switchbox and i get voltage in spec. Can the switchbox cause this?

5. Member
    yes would replace both rectifier and box
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................