Question Need guidance with New 2019 E-TEC 135HO setup on 2000 Lund Mr. Pike 17

Hi All,

Only my second post on the forum so far, but I enjoy reading all the talk on the board!

I recently re-powered my 2000 Lund Mr.. Pike 17 with a brand new 2019 E-TEC E135HGLABL, coming from a 2000 135 Ficht RAM E135FPLSS.

My dealer finished the setup on the boat and I was surprised at the difference of the setup. I was expecting ths new motor to be more or less configured the same as the old which IMO ran great for 19 years (still running great when traded in). The old Ficht was setup up second hole from the top which put the AV plate about 1/2" above the hull. I was running a 14 1/2" x21 Aluminum prop (0763318) and was able to get 52MPH on GPS on good days with slight chop at 5100 RPM WOT. There was always a little torque steer pulling to the left, hard to turn right but still able to do so with some effort. There was a bit of rooster tail. Prop would loose grip on hard turns and woul need to be trimmed down. It would slip a little if trimmed all the way up, not enough to go past 5200 rpm. I also ran a Renegade Offshore 14 1/8" x 21 that was fantastic for grip on rough water or pulling a tube. Similar RPMs and handling as above except max speed I could get was 48MPH GPS. (Shame I can't fit the Renegade on the new motor).

On the new motor the dealer has set it up third hole down from the top, the AV plate is 2" above the hull, the prop has been changed to a 14 1/2" x 19 (765188).

The boat now does a maximum of 49.2 MPH GPS on a good day at from what my analogue old tach is telling my 5600 RPM (dealer says tach is low by 500rpm compared to computer, so I'm replacing with new Tech Series SystemCheck). Torque steer pulls to the left pretty hard, probably about double what the Ficht used to be and very difficult to turn right when trimmed properly and at WOT. If I trim up more (there's probably about a 6th of trim above proper trim the speed drops down to 45 mph and the prop starts to slip but the torque steer is pretty well a non issue. There isn't much spray out the back since the dealer raised the motor to get rid of what he said was excessive "drag spray". He says the 19" prop puts the RPM right in range of where it should be abd a 21" would drop the RPM too much. I can't say if the anti-vent plate is just above the water at cruise spped since it's hard to get back there and drive at the same time.

Holeshot is/was fantastic on both motors less than 2 seconds. Although the gas seems to go about twice as fast on the new motor, but I have only had it out a couple of days so far so I can't prove this.

I was thinking that since the new engine is, well... new and around 10% higher HP being an HO that I would at least still hit 52mph, and I want to reduce that torque steer. The steering system installed is a standard Teleflex Safe-T Steer QC system from 2000. Dealer says to get rid of torque I need to replace it with NFB or preferably hydraulic. Of course replacing the steeriing doesn't reduce the torgue steer, it just masks it. I can’t do that this year, but I think if the torque steer was manageable with the Ficht setup with the existing steering system it should be ok for the E-Tec.

I have an appointment to see the dealer again to re-think the motor setup and to replace the old Lund Teledyne SystemCheck guages with the new Tech Series coming up in about 2 weeks. The problem is the dealer is 4hrs away and it's a real struggle to get to him, so I want this to be the last time I have to go out there this season.

I'm looking to get some opinions/advice with the E-TEC motors on a 2000 Mr. Pike so I'm not at the mercy of what the dealer says (not a Lund dealer btw).

Thanks

LundMrPFicht.jpg
    LundMrPE-TEC.jpg

2. Member
    When you have wheel torque, you are trimmed to high.
    You prop has quit lifting and is trying to pry the hull up
    out of the water. When you feel the slightest torque, look
    back at you motor. What you dont want to see is spray above
    the motor cowl. Excessive spray equals prop slip,higher RPM,
    but reduced speed.
    Trim is there to help your boats performance. Its not to
    say, that you have to use all of it.

Prop you hull for as close to MAX RPMs as possible @WOT.
    Some styles of props will not lift a hull, and will create wheel torque
    with little to no trim. Give that one back to the seller. LDS
    Last edited by Great Scott; 06-11-2019 at 09:01 PM.
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

3. Member
    Thanks Larry. I'm going to the dealer next week and will be taking your advice into account as I work with them.

I didn't get any choice on prop. The purchase bonus from BRP was a free prop, gauges and 10 year warranty but I have no info as to what the limits were on the prop. The dealer picked it and said it was "the right one". I'm going to be trying a Rebel 17" and 20" against RPM.

The way it's working now with the 19" aluminum is I can trim up to get the boat at max speed or 49.2MPH GPS=max torque steer. If I trim up past that the boat loses speed and drops to about 46-47mph then the torque steer eases off quite a bit.

4. Member
    As w/most alum props, you get forward push, but virtually
    no hull lift. Just for information, call Lund and ask for a prop
    brand and pitch recommendation for your boat/motor combo.
    Aluminum props are good for a spare, but are short
    on performance. LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.