Z18 Nitro loose screws

Have a new 2019 Z18 . Got home from the Lake yesterday and noticed several of the screws that hold the cover by the shift lever were almost completely backed out. Ready to fall out in fact. None were tight. Screws that hold down passenger rod holder/footrest same thing. Screws that hold the net storage cover plate behind passenger seat also loose. Nitro logo cover in front. After tightening all back up 3 are stripped out, 1 on footrest, 2 on net plate. There was a nut from the back of the tachometer bracket on the floor. I’ve had it in some rough water but not enough I would think to shake stuff loose!

Just wanted to give a heads up to others to check and make sure all screws are tight. I’m not real happy with style of screws they use either. Think they may have oversized the holes a bit too when they drilled them. If they keep backing out may put some blue loctite on screws.
    Last edited by BobD2369; 06-10-2019 at 08:02 AM.

Normal maintenance on all boats. Add to that also check bolts on Jackplate and motor. Do not forget the trailer ball nut either.

Fix the stripped out screws by using tooth pics and 5200. I also use zip ties in screw holes that have stripped out.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

I would not be happy using toothpicks on a 2019 boat.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

Then don't. Done it more times on many different brands of boats. Its just how you fix stripped out screws in fiberglass. U can do it or a dealer can do it, in my view I would not want my boat sitting at a dealer for week to fix a simple problem.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Member
    I had the same issue. Get small zip ties, put the ziptie in the hole and screw back in. The plastic holds the screws in place and they wont back out but they are easy to get back out if needed. Neat trick I learned from an old timer. ;)

Ohh, razor blade the tag ends off and you cant even tell you did it.

Just saw what BMCD posted....Zipties for the win.

Quote Originally Posted by 802spinnerbait View Post
    I had the same issue. Get small zip ties, put the ziptie in the hole and screw back in. The plastic holds the screws in place and they wont back out but they are easy to get back out if needed. Neat trick I learned from an old timer. ;)

Ohh, razor blade the tag ends off and you cant even tell you did it.

Just saw what BMCD posted....Zipties for the win.
    That is a neat tip right there!
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

Zip ties work the best in my opinion, and u can just cut them after u tighten the screw down. I usually finish with a razor blade so the zip tie is not showing.

Toothpicks and 5200 is what we use to use on our old Ranger.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

8. Member
    My 2018 is the same way. I cant keep the rub rail screws or the screws around the shifter in.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobD2369 View Post
    Have a new 2019 Z18 . Got home from the Lake yesterday and noticed several of the screws that hold the cover by the shift lever were almost completely backed out. Ready to fall out in fact. None were tight. Screws that hold down passenger rod holder/footrest same thing. Screws that hold the net storage cover plate behind passenger seat also loose. Nitro logo cover in front. After tightening all back up 3 are stripped out, 1 on footrest, 2 on net plate. There was a nut from the back of the tachometer bracket on the floor. I’ve had it in some rough water but not enough I would think to shake stuff loose!

Just wanted to give a heads up to others to check and make sure all screws are tight. I’m not real happy with style of screws they use either. Think they may have oversized the holes a bit too when they drilled them. If they keep backing out may put some blue loctite on screws.
    You may want to check your rub rail screws as well. This is an annual/semi-annual maintenance item.
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

10. Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions, realize it's a normal maintenance item but didn't think my 7th time out in the boat all the screws would be loose. Will check the rub rail screws too. They used to back out on my Procraft all the time.

For now, will give the zip tie a try as well!