NETWORK SONAR SETTINGS

Have 2 Carbons and 1 2D transducer Airmar Thruhull in my network, 3D module and ethernet.
    Just trying to have same Sonar Page on both hds displays.
    Anyone know if there is a basic Sonar Settings Pecking Order,as to what maybe should be set first before proceeding to next step.
    My system seems to continue to flip from global, local in Data Sources list.
    Then i get NO Source flash on the display that doesn't have direct 2d transducer connected to Blue port on the back.
    Have tried SELECT,AutoConfiugure,Reset Local,Reset Global,but i seem to run into same blind alley.
    Just looking for some basic guidance.
    thanks
    john
    no source view.JPG
    Last edited by johnwater; 06-09-2019 at 03:32 PM. Reason: spelling

2. Member
    Auto configure is a joke. I found that out just recently. There's no pecking order I'm aware of. Turn off all units but one. Configure that one. Set all sources/scope as local. If you have a point 1 and want to use that for heading on all MFD's you can leave [Vessel] at the global setting. Once that one is configured turn it off. Bring up the next unit. Configure every source/scope on it as local. There'll be some things/sources you may not can see with the other unit turned off. That's ok... you can come back to it later. The exercise here is to get every unit set to local in scope. Once that's done.... you can turn everything on and set the source as wanted/needed. Just don't change the scope to global on anything - unless ya' wanna. I have one transducer that I want all the other units to pull temp from. I leave that temp source as global in scope as an example of why/where you'd use "Global" scope.

Oh yeah... and be sure to [Network Sonar]

3. Member
    thanks yupitsme
    never thought of turning other unit off while i set one, then the other.
    might be why i am seeing "invalid" on some choices
    Lowrance customer service was no help at all.
    that may be why scope is changing when i try to set up sonar with the other unit on at the same time.
    i will try that when i get back to boat and let you know.
    john

4. Member
    Having other units turned OFF as suggested by Yup is a good approach. If you choose to leave another unit(s) ON during this process, you must select global or local prior to making data source selection according to the manual.

5. Member
    Thanks bandit and yupitsme.
    well i got back to boat and did as suggested, ie turn off units,then turn one on at a time.
    unit with the direct 2d to blue connector is source name THIS UNIT.
    Unit trying to get same sonar page on source is named HDS CARBON.

initially this works, but after a minute or two of running on plane, the unit labelled HDS CARBON reverts back to THIS UNIT.

I set both units Sonar data sources to scope local.
    but maybe they should be scope Global?
    sorry for the confusion, if you can explain it better for me.
    if pics would help of my data sources selections I can get that.
    thanks
    john

6. Member
    May I suggest renaming your Carbon units to something like C1, C2. That way you know where the "Source" info is coming from. Looking at your picture of the two carbons, the carbon on the right has to get the 2D "Source" info from the Carbon on the left (C1) because that is where the transducer is connected. So, when you are on the 2D sonar page on C2 (right Carbon) and it comes up as "no source", touch "source" in the right menu, then select C1 as source. Should be that easy.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

7. Member
    ED R thanks for input.
    but when i get "no Source" on screen, source is greyed out in menu, cant choose it.
    john

8. Member
    Are the two carbon units connected by Ethernet through the 3D module, and is the 3D modules power on when you are trying to network 2D sonar? If Ethernet connections are through the 3D, 3D must be on for an Ethernet connection. Another option is to run a short direct Ethernet cable from unit to unit.
    Ed R.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnwater View Post
    Thanks bandit and yupitsme.
    well i got back to boat and did as suggested, ie turn off units,then turn one on at a time.
    unit with the direct 2d to blue connector is source name THIS UNIT.
    Unit trying to get same sonar page on source is named HDS CARBON.

initially this works, but after a minute or two of running on plane, the unit labelled HDS CARBON reverts back to THIS UNIT.

I set both units Sonar data sources to scope local.
    but maybe they should be scope Global?
    sorry for the confusion, if you can explain it better for me.
    if pics would help of my data sources selections I can get that.
    thanks
    john

Are the units reverting back to Scope Global? It's starting to sound like you may have a flakey ethernet cable. Set both units up again as they should be with Source Local. Then instead of getting the boat on plane just try wiggling the ethernet cable(s) where ever they will wiggle. See if you can replicate the NO SOURCE setting still. Of course if you can - replace the defective ethernet cable.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnwater View Post
    ED R thanks for input.
    but when i get "no Source" on screen, source is greyed out in menu, cant choose it.
    john
    You got me thinking....I hooked up 2 Carbons. On the Carbon 9 all I hooked up was power and Ethernet. The C12 I hooked up power, Ethernet, and transducer. Here are the sonar settings.

C12, Ch1 on, network sonar on, network sonar mode "multi-source"

IMG_1712.JPG

C9, Ch1 on, network sonar on, network sonar mode "multi-source"

IMG_1711.JPG

Here is the 9 getting sonar data from the C12.

IMG_1707.JPG

Even when I break the Ethernet connection I am still able to select a source. Of course they won't work because there is no source, but it still allows the selection.

IMG_1709.JPG
    IMG_1710.JPG

I'm not sure exactly what is happening with your units. Maybe if you try setting the sonar settings on your units the same it may work.
    Ed R.

11. Member
    ED R
    thanks for your reply.
    took a while for me to get back on water to check out settings.
    what i did find was a bad connector plug coming off of transducer.
    i replaced it sonar display that it is plugged into works flawless, no issues.
    but the opposite hds display i continue with "no Source" issue that pops up soon after i go on plane, maybe 30-90 seconds later.
    then i slow down to idle, sonar "no Source" goes away, sonar works fine.
    if i plug transducer into the opposite display,the same thing happens when i get up on plane, then goes away when i slow down to idle.

So i am wondering if i connect both units together with ethernet cable via yellow ports in back, would this help both units"network" together better?
    they recurrently connected via the sd module ports.
    and i have no problem with downscale/sidescan,so i think the module is functioning well.
    hope this additional info gives ideas as to what my problem may be.
    thanks
    john

12. Member
    "Have 2 Carbons and 1 2D transducer Airmar Thruhull in my network, 3D module and ethernet."

I dunno if adding a ethernet cable between the units will make them network "better" but it will for sure make it possible.d

The quote is the opening sentence of the OP. I think all of were making suggestions based on the input "... ethernet"

Unless you have a NMEA network installed(small black round port on back) I wouldn't even know how you can see anything. Sonar is shared over the ethernet. Perhaps NMEA tandrem with the ethernet so you can "see" the other devices/sources, but without ethernet it ain't gonna function.

I suppose it'd help to know "exactly" how your systems are connected right now.

"but the opposite hds display i continue with "no Source" issue that pops up soon after i go on plane, maybe 30-90 seconds later.
    then i slow down to idle, sonar "no Source" goes away, sonar works fine."

It sounds like you have two transducers. The unit that is giving you the "No Source" after getting on plane sounds like a transducer coming out of the water and toggling to "INVALID" causing the "No Source" and because you are not connected to the other unit via ethernet there is no alternate source for sonar.... I dunno.

13. Member
    well guys i finally think i fixed the problem.
    auto configure,global,local,scope,etc very confusing and not documented well at all by lowrance.
    I had one sonar unit always working perfect, but the other display erratic,"no source",or not pick up the graph
    I imported the settings database from the unit with the transducer connected to the blue port in the back,to the other unit(display) that i was trying to get sonar to display,restarted the unit, and now sonar seems to be working perfectly.
    any one know if this is documented any where to get units in sync?
    thanks
    john