Looking at a clean used boat with an 06 vmax hpdi 225, 600 hours Or should I just SHO

600 hours on motor 120 psi on all 6. What is the consensus on the hpdi 225. I’m coming out of an 07 pro Xs so I’m hoping for more reliability and fuel and oil efficiency and hopefully not always staying up at night wondering when my power head is gonna blow.

or do I just need to pony up and find something with sho power?

thx guys. Educate me please. Last 3 Yamahas were the best motors I ever had. 92 pro v and two different blue 4 strokes.

2. Member
    Ran a hpdi to 740 hrs. Down on power, checked compression, had 120 lbs on all cylinders, but failed breakdown on 2 cylinders. Powerhead is at hydrotech now. In my opinion, still a better option than repowering. Just saying, 600 hrs is a lot for any 2 stroke, but that one can be made better than when it was new.

The saltwater guys run HPDIs over 1500 hours but I don't think they run WOT everywhere they go like we do.
    2005 Xpress X19 Tournament Series Dual Console
    Yamaha VMAX HPDI 175

4. Member
    Cool. I didn’t think about the option of having it tricked out. I’ll read up on that. Thxguys

5. Member
    I've got an 2004 250 HPDI that's never once been in the shop, so I'm unsure of the hours on it but I fish frequently so I'm assuming its in the 600-800 hr range, never once not started or left me stranded. After reading all the horror stories on here about HPDI failures I've been waiting on my to blow for 5 years but she keeps on going. Maintain it properly and operate it with some sensibility and I believe it'll be a great motor.

6. Member
    Been running a 225 VZ HPDI since 08 that I bought new. So far it has been a great motor and hope it stays that way. I change the 10 micron yearly and pleated under cowl filter every 50 hours. Run ring free and pri-g every tank and start with all fresh gas each season. Other than that just LU oil once or twice a year and impeller every 3. I do all my own maintenance and it is garaged. I'm happy with it. The SHO is also a great motor but IMO has not proven to be any more reliable based on what I have read. Any of them can let go. Take care of it and it will take care of you.
    08 Ranger Reata 210
    Yamaha VMAX 225 HPDI

7. bullyfish
    SHO is not the most reliable motor ever built either it has had major issues. Now l have hurt a bunch of people feeling and their going to tell me how great the motor is

8. Member
    Run it til it blows then take it to Hydro Tec in Nixa Mo .

9. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    Hydro-Tec can wake up a 225 Id phase 2 it you wont be disappointed

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998