Intimidator felt loose

Ran my Gambler for the first time this year and once again I was getting a weird reaction when running wide open and full trim. Let me start by saying that I have a 2002 with a 225 merc, set my jack plate at 3.75". Historically I've had my best run at 80.7 gps. Typically it'll push a full tourney load at 76 mph. So when I have it aired out it's without any warning the ass end pushes around (as if you were driving along in a vehicle and hit a patch of ice) it only lasts a split second but it puckers you up and the boat drops 4 - 5 mph instantly as if it fell off the pad. Here's the interesting part. Every once in a while the instant it does this I get one chirp of my alarm. Again as quick as the chirp is the event is over. I get weird looks from my co anglers and this may do it once on a 5 mile run of a couple times. I've plugged my levels and ran them open with no difference. ( i was thinking maybe air coming out of the drains) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    I love the feed back. Information is key to solve issues.

That is your prop blowing out...
    i bet you are running a trophy...
    when it happens , it’s allowing your motor to over rev and the alarm kicks on...you will notice it happening more on days when there is a little chop...your prop is literally hitting the air pockets between the crest of the waves
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

4. Member
    I'm running a Powertech 4 blade. Maybe I'll try lowering my jackplate a click or two. Just hate to loose top end

5. Member
    ^ You are maybe a little too high..

6. Member
    Full trim with 3.75” to begin with? You’re walking on water. What else would you expect? That’s awfully dangerous, too.

7. Member
    Technically not "full" trim but as much as I can before speed drops. I'll measure the pad to prop with a straight edge to see where it's really at when the gauge reads 3.75. Are the gauges typically off?

the gauge is simply something for that days/general use...you will notice it to be adjusted 1/4-1/2" for every load/driving conditions, Even when you are running the exact same prop...

you never answered my statement/question above...
    i had said "i bet you were running in a decent chop"...

this will cause the exact symptons you described...
    with the small ear prop of a Trophy or a Powertech, its gonna allow this more often than with the Larger ear props, BUT even the Bravos and Furys will do this...
    adjusting the jackplate and Trim is only counter move you have...
    lowering the jackplate to 3.5-3.25 the other day and a tad less trim would have fixed 95% of it, but still you would notice a tad...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

9. Member
    I'd say yes to a small chop as this is the water that makes my boat run the best. Of course it's also the only time it gets a little scary.

10. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    It's called crabbing, and it comes from the prop instantaneously losing bite, then regaining it. Basic physics...with every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Need to determine what is causing it. It could be prop height, or could be just the prop itself. If the prop is at the proper height and cupped correctly, crabbing is usually negated.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."