TR18 with 175 SHO slow to get on plane

I have completely redone a 1998 triton TR18 repowered with a new yamaha 175 SHO. I started with a 23 pitch T2 prop and was a little too much. I went to a 22 T2 and all was good until I just put 2 power poles and 4 batteries out back. I can still turn it 6000rpm at just a little over 60mph but if I have a full tank and both live wells full I have to send my partner to the front to get on plane. I also have a hydraulic jack and it seems if I run the plate all the way up and it catches a little air it will get up on plane. Is this something that Mark can help with getting up on plane?

2. Member
    Sounds like you need a vented prop on it instead of a none vented like most 4 strokes run. Mark could drill PVS holes in it to vent the prop making the take off faster.

3. Member
    I have the same issue with my 175 SHO on a 18ft Phoenix with dual poles. I recently dropped down to a 21 Turbo TXP from the 22 SHO prop. Was hoping the smaller pitch and vents would help. It did help some but with livewells full, a co (250lb), backseat, etc. I still had issues. Funny because if I had my co sit on the front deck then punch it, it got right on plane with no issues. There just doesn't seem to be enough weight up front on these 18ft boats to get the bow to stay down. Since the wife vetoed buying 250lb worth of tackle to put up front I'm going to try a chris bailey foil and see if that helps. Also going to look for a lighter backseat to cut some weight.

I emailed Mark Croxton to see if he had any ideas and he suggested trying a 22p Bravo 1. So maybe that's the ticket.

4. Member
    update: sent prop to mark and had PVS holes put in. before with gas and livewells full and a partner in the boat it would not get on plane and only turn 2100 rpm. ended up running just the holes with no plastic inserts with gas and livewells full and partner in the boat the motor spins up to 3100 rpm and slowly gets up on plane. with 3/4 or less tank of gass it jumps right up on plane.

5. Member
    Fisher hunt I have a baileys foil on a 150 Tohatsu and it helped. I also have a 22 bravo 1 prop am getting ready to sell. It was ok most of the time on the 150 but was a little to much for the 150 when it is hot out. If i can help let me know. Arthur