Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Some of the disappointment may stem from the users who heavily invested in the new Live MFDs.

Have heard the units have a stunning display and speed, so expectations were high for the Livesight addition.

If I understand it correctly, the Livesight is a plug and play system with the quad processor Live MFD units and a separate box was going to be available for the previous Carbon series to be able to use it.

For those of us that have used both the Panoptix and Livecope systems, we have experienced the progression and expectations.
    We have a little more experience on what to expect turning the live sonar 90 degree to the side and what it looks like.
    Still have the PS21 mounted, utilizing some of it's attributes, along with the Livescope.
    Killer combo for searching.

The new Live MFD unit owners were just expecting the same Wow factor for the money spent.

2. Member
    Speaking as a user who did heavily invest in the Live units once learning they had a Panoptix competitor on the way, I can tell you I have felt A LOT of disappointment. But I'm also done waiting around looking for positives, where there are easily more concerns. Not just in the lack of similarity to LiveScope, but in what I see as a learning curve that Lowrance probably didn't see coming and clearly isn't prepared for.

Funny thing is, I make much of my career flying behind Garmin avionics, and I can tell you they have simply blown away the competition in all market segments (IMHO) for the past fifteen years! When I decided to upgrade my Gen 2 HDS units, I had initially figured it would be Garmin but was seduced by the apparent quality of the Live units. They are very nice, but it won't take anyone long in reading the Lowrance boards to learn of programming, customer service and other challenges that exist currently.

So in the end my new Garmin console and bow units, along with LiveScope, arrive today. Will make for a fun weekend swapping everything out (again)! Glad to be on the Garmin side of the fence now, and if my experience with their avionics is in fact telling, we have a lot of good things to look forward to down the road.

Livesight comes out....Garmin sales increase

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

4. Banned
    Question is the PS22 better than livesight and the PS21? I see people comparing livesight and the PS21 but not the PS22...

5. Member
    see hays47 comment on post #9

6. Member
    I mean,,, Lowrance named an entire line up of new graphs,,called LIVE!!!!
    I am assuming in preparation for the release of Livesight.
    And being Garmin already hade LIVEscope, I can see the issue.

There is no doubt Lowrance guys expected Livescope either better or the same.

I am a Lowrance fan boy and have never used any other manufacturer, after this livesight release,,I am done defending them anymore. From there marketing to support is jacked up. I guarantee someone lower on the food chain said, "this is going to back fire" to the higher ups!! And that person probably does not have a job now. Or employess are so scared of upper management they don't dare voice there opinions,

Just look at some of the employee reviews of Lowrance vs. Garmin or bird. If your work force isn't happy probably going to have unhappy customers too. Garmin appears to be a great place to work.

7. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    It’s funny how it was built up for months,all this goes back to when I was looking at units and bought another brand because of the bad reviews by some on garmins,Iam so glad I finally went with garmins and actually I just upgraded my 93 at the dash to a 1042 as I could of went bird or lowrance.Everything about the garmins is working way better than I ever thought.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizzou211 View Post
    To me, the thing is this between the "big 3". Garmin is a MUCH larger company with many more resources to draw on that Lowrance or 'bird. They also have their entire aviation division to "borrow" technology from and this helps them bring the latest and greatest to the table with much more success than their competition.
    Exactly Mizzou

9. Member
    According to the poll on the Lowrance thread, Lowrance has got a tough sell ahead of them

10. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizzou211 View Post
    To me, the thing is this between the "big 3". Garmin is a MUCH larger company with many more resources to draw on that Lowrance or 'bird. They also have their entire aviation division to "borrow" technology from and this helps them bring the latest and greatest to the table with much more success than their competition.
    This is exactly right, I bet they spend more in R&D than the other two companies combined. Another note, I bought Garmin stock when I first saw Panoptix, and have made enough to buy units on my last three boats. They are a VERY WELL RUN company, that has a ton of very good engineers. I have been a beta tester a few times for products and have been super impressed with the types of questions they ask and the depths they go to. As long as Garmin is focused on the freshwater market the other two brands are going to have a hard time keeping up in my opinion. They had their own mapping division crew, and then went and bought Navionics, they could literally cut Lowrance off at the knees on mapping if they chose to. Yes I'm a Garmin fan, but at this point, if you are not, you are behind in my opinion.

11. Member
    Wow.....glad I got on board with Garmin!

12. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Super 91 View Post
    Wow.....glad I got on board with Garmin!
    Me too!!!

13. Member
    If they can figure out how to do side and down, they might take over.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumour2u View Post
    If they can figure out how to do side and down, they might take over.
    My GT54 on an Ultra 10 is an improvement over any other Garmin imaging ive seen so far. Thats why i bought it.

15. BBC SPONSOR
    I bought a 12 Live unit two months ago in anticipation of the Livesight at least being 80% as good as the Livescope. Livesight like Spotlight Scan before it, doesn't even hit the threshold of usability. So last week I picked up a Ultra 12 and Livescope LVS32.

From a 40,000 foot perspective, I think that the days of being a only Humminbird, only Lowrance or only Garmin are numbered for most with the exception being the sponsored pros. For me, I see much less utility moving forward in sharing information from one unit to another than I do in maximizing the strong suit of each manufacturer. I know of a number of top flight anglers that are using Lowrance for downscan, Humminbird for Lakemaster and sidescan and now Garmin for livescope. I think this market change will continue to grow until the gaps between strongest features equalize.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    My GT54 on an Ultra 10 is an improvement over any other Garmin imaging ive seen so far. Thats why i bought it.
    Please post some screenshots when you can, would really like to see some.
    thanks,

17. Member
    I should have some up tonight or tomorrow.

Canadian shield lakes, though.....so lots of rocks and sand

18. Member
    Sounds good, hopefully a few fish as well, :)

19. Member
    I know a lot of HB guys who are holding out buying Livescope because they think HB will come out with something like it. I think Garmin will always be the industry standard from here on out and stay one step ahead of the competition.

thinking about adding the Livescope...

Have been a Lowrance user since God dug the river west of town. The Livescope is something that has caught my eye. Running 2 carbons now 9 & 12, have grown accustomed to how the HDS's are menu driven. Hoping someone who is familiar with Lowrance could shed some light as to how a Garmin's menu works.

Is it similiar to Lowrance or is it a whole new can of worms to work with? Will keep my carbons and ss3d but just don't want the "mechanics" of utilizing the Garmin (on the bow only) to be a hinderance with the way the HDS's work?

Hopefully, just utilizing the Livescope it would not need much of the operators attention in making changes. Just don't want it to be overwhelming and turn into a frustration with 2 different units.

Will definitely spend more time on THIS board catching up on what Garmin has to offer and how it can be utilized!

thanks...
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    O blood and water which gush forth from the heart of Jesus, have mercy on us
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast