Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..

How to Cook 2 inch Ribeye without flare ups?

I spit a slab of ribeye and had them cut 2 inches thick. With the fat and the marbling I am having a hard time with flare ups. I was searing 1 side on 3 burner low and then turning middle burner off and slow cooking with 2 outside burners with steak in the middle. This morning, I turned 2 burners off and still had flare up with fat dripping.. How do you cook a nice fat Ribeye steaks on a propane grill without flare ups ??
    Last edited by Basscaster; 06-09-2019 at 09:28 AM.

2. Member
    Before I purchased my BGE about seven years ago...I cooked the prime rib by searing it on both sides allowing for "some" flare up to help seal the juices in..then left only one burner on the far side of my propane grill on and slow roasted the rib on the opposite side...putting it in the middle of two will cause too many flare ups in my opinion. I now cook mine with the plate setter in place on the BGE which does not allow drippings to go into the fire below...Hope this helps...

3. Member
    Try the reverse sear. 225 until internal temp of 125 and pull them. Heat an iron skillet as hot as you can get it and sear them for a minute on both sides. Comes out perfect and never have to worry about flare ups.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smalljawguy View Post
    Try the reverse sear. 225 until internal temp of 125 and pull them. Heat an iron skillet as hot as you can get it and sear them for a minute on both sides. Comes out perfect and never have to worry about flare ups.
    I fire up the Weber with good lump, piled under on side of the grill, season the steaks then place them on the grill off the coal until they get to around 120, then slap them onto the hot coal side for a reverse sear.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    I fire up the Weber with good lump, piled under on side of the grill, season the steaks then place them on the grill off the coal until they get to around 120, then slap them onto the hot coal side for a reverse sear.
    Perfect way to do it. I was always a hot and fast believer for steaks. Picked up a pellet smoker and tried the reverse sear and that will be the only way I cook them from now on. I have a Weber gasser that I can crank to 700. I put the iron skillet on the gasser for about 15 minutes until it's smoking hot, add some ghee and then sear the steaks. If you have a butcher or a Costco near you, get some ribeye cap steaks. Best steak I've ever tasted. Period.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

6. Banned
    I guess it's patience.. I had a nice cast iron round Griddle but left it behind the Weber under the soffit about 2 weeks ago and it poured and got it rusty.That was my first attempt using the griddle- better take better care of that Antique... I will use everyone's suggestions.. I think I will start out with the double sear-1 burner on. I am trying it Right now.. Ribeye for breakfast- Yum......Worked last night and steak sounds(and tastes) better than eggs this morning plus my foodsaver isn't sucking....

7. Member
    Sous Vide works well also, then your final sear.
    I'd Rather be Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Basscaster View Post
    I guess it's patience.. I had a nice cast iron round Griddle but left it behind the Weber under the soffit about 2 weeks ago and it poured and got it rusty.That was my first attempt using the griddle- better take better care of that Antique... I will use everyone's suggestions.. I think I will start out with the double sear-1 burner on. I am trying it Right now.. Ribeye for breakfast- Yum......Worked last night and steak sounds(and tastes) better than eggs this morning plus my foodsaver isn't sucking....
    Cleaning cast iron and re-seasoning it is super easy. There are some videos in cast iron threads a few pages down. I’ve done some really nasty looking ones from flea markets and made them look like new.

Reverse sear is the best way to do steaks on a gas grill without a doubt. I like mine medium rare so I cook the steaks off heat until they reach 100, then move them directly over heat flame until they reach 125, put a pad of butter on each one while they rest for about 5 minutes. Reverse sear only works on thick steaks.

10. Banned
    Grill Grates! An absolute necessity. They are amazing

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Guy View Post
    Grill Grates! An absolute necessity. They are amazing
    Yep unless you like putting your meat right on the coals.

12. Member
    Try these....https://www.grillgrate.com/

GrillGrates are reversible INTERLOCKING PANELS that fit across the surface of your grill. They can replace your existing grates or cover them. The GrillGrate produces juicier and more tender food.
    Made of hard anodized aluminum, GrillGrates increase the grill surface temperature, reduces flare ups, hot and cold spots and delivers restaurant quality sear marks all at once. GrillGrates are the perfect replacement for old, rusted out grates.
    Learn More About the Science of GrillGrates

13. Banned
    What I said to the above?

14. Fishing is a Passion
    Spray bottle of water
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basscaster View Post
    I spit a slab of ribeye and had them cut 2 inches thick. With the fat and the marbling I am having a hard time with flare ups. I was searing 1 side on 3 burner low and then turning middle burner off and slow cooking with 2 outside burners with steak in the middle. This morning, I turned 2 burners off and still had flare up with fat dripping.. How do you cook a nice fat Ribeye steaks on a propane grill without flare ups ??
    First thing get "Grill Grates" they work, no flare ups. I let my Ribye's sit out at room temp for at least 30 min. Apply rub, Salt, Pepper and Garlic, about 10 or 15 min's before putting on the Grill. Preheat Grill/Grill Grates to 550 degrees. Sear each side for 3 min's, turn/rotate the ribeye 90 degrees at the 1.5 min mark to get the diamond shape grill marks. Turn off the burners directly under the Ribeyes/Grill Grates. Maintain an ambient grill temp of 400 to 450 degrees, indirect heat, until the internal temp of the Ribeye's reach 120 to 122 degrees. Remove, put a pad of compound butter on each and let rest for a minimum of 15 min's. I find that a resting time of up to 30 min is best.

All great suggestions here.... I like the reverse sear procedure, but I don't see much of a difference in it over the normal sear method...

I have always had great success with searing the old fashioned way. I like my steaks marinaded with Teriaki and fresh cracked pepper and a little garlic powder/salt.
    Start with a clean grill (in my case a Genesis II Weber with the extra sear burner, 3 burners with an extra sear burner on the left). And in cleaning, I mean clean the stuff under the burners on the drip trays and beneath so they do not catch on fire with new drippings from the steak. If it is clean, you won't have constant flare ups. If it is coated with a layer of burn marinade, bbq sauce, cheese, food bits, etc., once it gets hot enough it will catch fire and ruin a steak quickly if not attended to.

Get the grill up to at least 450F-500F... Lay the steaks down and sear for a few minutes, turn to make the cross marks and go another few minutes. Flip and do the other side the same way. You shouldn't have much flair up except for those little short bursts from new fat dripping on the burner bars, which is what you want... Sear as much as you want, check temp. or use the finger/push to test for doneness. Set off to the side if needed to raise the internal temp. Basically your are done cooking.

Never had a problem this way... Except when a grill is dirty and not attended to...
    Last edited by KCLOST; 07-24-2019 at 03:12 PM.
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

17. Member
    i watched a video of a guy cooking them he melted butter at 125* put the steaks submerged in the butter for 2 hrs then let them rest and dryed off got the grill super hot and went to searing them constantly turning them and putting them on the edges so it was all seared it looked really good!!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    Add the chunk of Apple Wood and you got it.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

19. Banned
    Just pan fry in a pile of butter....leave grill off

20. Banned
    This might have been the BEST Responses I ever received looking for a Solution. Thanks to Every post for the shared Knowledge.