2017 Mercury 150 4stroke

1. 2B378257
    2. 2017 Mercury 4stroke 150 4cyl
    3. Power tech 19 pitch ofx3r19pcl200
    4. 5600
    5. I don’t think my motor has this sensor because it’s the only thing I don’t get a reading for on my VesselView.
    6. VesselView Bluetooth

About 2 months ago my wife and I were in a shallow pond down here in a Louisiana marsh. We had been sight fishing reds in this pond with as little as 10 inches of water in some areas. All of the sudden the wind we had been enjoying died and a swarm of gnats descended upon us. I never try to power out of a pond like this but these little suckers were biblical. So I put the trim tabs down jack plate up and for the first time ever in it’s short life my Merc chewed some mud and got us out of there. The only issue was from that point on my motor would slowly loose it’s trim angle. We found the hydraulic trim assy had an internal leak so had it rebuilt. That solved the problem except since then now my motor is limited to 2300-2500 rpms. Motor runs normal until that point. I originally thought it might be in guardian mode but no tones or codes. I’ve checked voltage and it’s good. Anyway, I started thinking what I disconnected to replace the trim assy that’s a sensor and I thought trim sensor. So I unplugged it and viola I can rev my engine to normal ranges. Only problem is my motor doesn’t like it cause I now have codes and cannot dump the throttle too quickly without it limiting at 3500rpms.

Okay so finally a question right.
    Is there some kind of calibration procedure that I’m missing?
    Could the trim sensor be bad?
    I noticed that the top pin of trim assy has a slot in it so does that slot need to be in a specific position?

Thanks for reading and your help in advance
    Brent
    Last edited by bboudreaux1969; 06-09-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Replace the trim/tilt pin @ the top of the ram (Where the trim sensor is). You likely damaged the magnet and it wont go over 2500 because it thinks its trimmed all the way up. I've replaced a bunch of them due to corrosion lately.

PN 8M0052521
    Last edited by 21xTriton05; 06-09-2019 at 12:04 PM.

3. Member
    First of all Thanks for the reply. That’s what I thought as well but somebody else I know says that the sensor reads it’s own attitude and that the pin is irrelevant. I don’t know what to think at this point but trust me I don’t doubt the veracity of your claim. My boat and motor are under warranty but it’s 6 weeks before they can look at it. Frustrating at best

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    21xTriton is correct- it's going to be the crosspin or the sensor itself.

Have your dealer check your Warranty Status, too.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I don’t see any cross pin behind there I’m under warranty till 2023

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The cross pin is the pin that connects the top of the ram to the swivel bracket. If it's not there, that's a big problem.

We realize you're under warranty- that's why the recommendation for your dealer to confirm that status (this is something that the dealer SHOULD be taking care of for you).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Thanks for the help guys I figured it out. When my buddy changed it for me he put the pin backwards. Problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by bboudreaux1969 View Post
    Thanks for the help guys I figured it out. When my buddy changed it for me he put the pin backwards. Problem solved
    Glad you figured it out!!

9. Member
    49mph 5360rpm

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bboudreaux1969 View Post
    49mph 5360rpm
    You should be hitting 5800 RPMs I believe though