Need you guys opinion

I have a 24 volt trolling motor and of course have two 12 volts batteries , the batteries are group 27. I don't fish into the current much unless the wind or current is really moving so I don't use the trolling motor much. I have to buy new trolling motor batteries and I'm thinking about getting two group 31 batteries. The two group 31 batteries are 7 pounds heavier than the 27. I have never had trouble with the trolling motor going dead but I will be fishing my first 3 day tournament this year and was wondering am I going to see boat performance issues ? Maybe more Chine ? It's also your guy's and no you guys......ha ha thats my redneck coming out

2. Member
    31’s should last longer before needing replaced. Battery rep told me 27’s are two year batteries.

3. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    adding weight will not make it Chine, should not see much loss of performance if its only 14lbs,
    the trolling motor should see a gain in performance
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

4. Member
    Never heard that a specific size 27/31 etc. has an average life. 27 = 2 years. I've ran a lot of different sizes. Been on 27 for years. It's more about charging, keeping the batteries topped off and such!
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

5. Member
    I've had 27s last me 10 years. The last one I bought was last year, then ones before was in '10
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

6. Member
    I'm just concerned because I have two trolling motor batteries on one side making the boat a little more unbalanced

7. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernerbass99 View Post
    I'm just concerned because I have two trolling motor batteries on one side making the boat a little more unbalanced
    thats usually offset by the drivers weight but if you have a passenger you can adjust that by the rear storage

but you are correct if its unbalanced weight in the rear it can affect the performance,
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

8. Member
    I just went from a 24 volt to 36 volt trolling motor so with the extra 31 series battery I added 70 pounds or so. My boat drives and fishes the same.
    2024 G3 1710 / 2024 Yamaha 90 SHO