Thread: New Jag????

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AggieBass View Post
    You are correct. I have little patience. Learned in my first year of running a business that patience is for people who work for the government. BTW - I have owned 2 Bass Cats and think they are the best bass boats avaliable. I just get tired of this overly risk adversed industry that is afraid to introduce new technologies. Consumers are hungry for new technologies. That's why the used bass boat market is flooded with late model boats with 2-stroke Mercs. Consumers want new and better 4-cycle outboards. My neighborhood is covered up with Tesla model 3's. Not because they are sexy or handle great, it's because they have an autopilot that will drive the car to you in a large parking lot.

Bass Cat and Vexus are the two companies that are positioned to leave their competitors in the dust. It will be interesting to see if either do.
    Not that it matters but I don't believe for a second people buy a Tesla because "it drives itself to you in a large parking lot". My sister and her husband went out and bought two new Tesla's, she bought them because she's a total snowflake and it made her feel better. I won't even say who she works for, you'd understand if I said. She drives her Range Rover most of the time though, she had to offset her guilt and her image by buying a Tesla. She has told me stories of some famous politicians that go out and buy their F250 just to help them identify with the local country people, nothing but a buch of fakes. I like them and I was slightly interested in buying one but the mileage issue is a deal breaker for me at this time. My wife drives mostly local, 20-25 miles each way, around town kinda stuff, so I thought it might fit her style of driving.

Lots of bass boat companies have gone out of business over the years, Bass Cat being one of the survivors. I'd say they know a thing or two about the boating business. I like new technology as much as anyone but it's bass boat and they have to compete with other cheaper made models. Lots of people talk a lot but if they can save $500 when comparing similar bass boats a lot will buy the cheaper one. Same with the airline business. People get pissed, say they'll never fly whatever airline again. Then a month later they'll pick any airline, even if it has crappy, old worn out aircraft, one flight a day, if it's $5 cheaper.
    Last edited by C130; 06-18-2019 at 02:23 PM.

2. Member
    Let me guess.....You hate change. Maybe you should start selling bass boats.
    Not at all. I actually welcome change. I’m on my 3rd BassCat (3rd different model). Each time I buy a new to me boat I look at other brands. BassCat just does a lot of things better imo. I’ve run different graphs, trolling motors and have had every brand of truck excluding Nissan, though my wife has owned a couple of Nissans. As far as selling boats, sales aren’t my thing. Hopefully you find what you’re looking for man. As far as innovation and evolving, I think BassCat is pretty much at the top of the heap. Honestly they probably lose some sales because of it (and probably gain some). A lot of people like the symmetrical layout of 90% of the bass boats made. BassCat does things differently and I appreciate that. I think the PII and Sabre are probably their only models with what I would consider a traditional deck layout. Again, good luck finding what you’re looking for

3. Member
    Just spit balling ideas here... the chargers are water proof though

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    Not at all. I actually welcome change. I’m on my 3rd BassCat (3rd different model). Each time I buy a new to me boat I look at other brands. BassCat just does a lot of things better imo. I’ve run different graphs, trolling motors and have had every brand of truck excluding Nissan, though my wife has owned a couple of Nissans. As far as selling boats, sales aren’t my thing. Hopefully you find what you’re looking for man. As far as innovation and evolving, I think BassCat is pretty much at the top of the heap. Honestly they probably lose some sales because of it (and probably gain some). A lot of people like the symmetrical layout of 90% of the bass boats made. BassCat does things differently and I appreciate that. I think the PII and Sabre are probably their only models with what I would consider a traditional deck layout. Again, good luck finding what you’re looking for

Just to keep this thread going and continue to beat the hell out of a dead horse......I agree with you on what Bass Cat has done. I really like their boats and love their customer service. I'm critical of the industry and frustrated that someone doesn't take the ball and run; and I think Bass Cat could own the industry. I love the non-symmetrical storage that maximized efficiency you describe above. I just don't think it's that big of a deal to redesign the storage layout. Do something bad-ass. Maybe it's DFMA related incorporating a new contrusction technique that shortens cycle time to 10% of what it is now. Might not be a "glass" boat, maybe some other composite or polymer or something. I don't know. Maybe get get rid of the profit sucking dealers. Let us order a boat on the internet, have it shipped to my house rigged and ready to go. Keep the money Sherm's Marine is making, or spilt the savings with the customer. If I need it worked on, I go to an authorized service center, not a dealer. Maybe team up with an electronic maker and incorporate a phased array sonar into the hull such that you get an instant high-fidelity 3-d rendering of what is around you. Get them to absorb some of the risk. Is it possible, yes. Is it practical, I don't know....maybe. I do think both Bass Cat and Vexus senior managment are very capable and could own the market, I just think think they risk adverse to the point of hurting their growth. BTW - the boat makers who have failed in the past did not fail because they were innovated, most of them failed because either they built crap, or did not know how to run a business, or both.

5. Member
    Aggie Bass.....not to discredit you but you have ten post and all or criticizing the bass boat industry. I do understand your theory but don't know your back ground, boats owned, fishing experience, driving experience. Nothing that any of us know about you gives you credit to criticize a business that has prospered through the good and hard times. Some of the points you bring up are valid but others are improbable and wishful thinking. The bass boat industry is trying to keep up with current technology (hell electronics show you the fish biting your lure) but cost to incorporate newer technology be it composite building materials, engines, or electronics will take the boating industry to a level the average Joe can not afford.....as if it is not already there. Sounds like you should create and build a brand of your own!!!! Sorry to sound so critical of you but you had no problem calling out a successful company....out of the blue.

Cheers

Elwood
    Elwood....Bass Cat Strong

2020 Bass Cat Eyra
    2020 Mercury 300R 4S (1E081080)
    Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
    Aggie Bass.....not to discredit you but you have ten post and all or criticizing the bass boat industry. I do understand your theory but don't know your back ground, boats owned, fishing experience, driving experience. Nothing that any of us know about you gives you credit to criticize a business that has prospered through the good and hard times. Some of the points you bring up are valid but others are improbable and wishful thinking. The bass boat industry is trying to keep up with current technology (hell electronics show you the fish biting your lure) but cost to incorporate newer technology be it composite building materials, engines, or electronics will take the boating industry to a level the average Joe can not afford.....as if it is not already there. Sounds like you should create and build a brand of your own!!!! Sorry to sound so critical of you but you had no problem calling out a successful company....out of the blue.

Cheers

Elwood

Very fair assessment. My business background is technical. Own a firm that has two groups. Groups 1 helps small start-up or struggling companies with product development; specializing in designing complex electro-mechanical devices and bringing them to production minimizing NRE with a fast ROI. Also help larger companies refines existing designs usiing established DFMA techniques to modernize production, again with quick ROI. Group 2 works primaly on military contracts with the integration and development of UAV's and special payloads for specific mission needs. Been doing the Group 1 gig for 18 years and Group 2 gig for 13 years. I started fishing right out of college in the late 1980's and have owned Skeeter (2), Viper (1), Ranger(2) and Bass Cat (2) boats. Other hobbies include flying (SR22) and trying to keep up with my grandkids.

BTW - The marine industry is just like the General Aviation industry was in the early 2000's until Cirrus Aircraft came along. They introduced glass cockpits and an airframe ballistic parachute into a airplane that would allow the entire aircraft to land safetly if a catastrophic event occured. Competed with Cessna 182's and Bonanzas. Should have heard the squawking from the established pilot community back them. "Parachutes are for wimps" and "glass cockpits are going to degrade pilot skills"; and these were from pilots, not Cessna or Beech salesman. Human nature is to resist change. Flash forward 15 years and Cirrus now owns the general aviation market.

I'm done. Back to talking fishing and I will try to not piss anyone else off.

"Cirrus now owns the general aviation market"

Are you kidding me? IF you are describing the single engine Indians of the skies as the "general aviation market" as a whole, I will agree Cirrus has made a big impact. However I'd argue that segment is the "general aviation market"
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

8. Member
    Aggiebass....you in no way shape or form have pissed anyone off. You just came out of the work with a very aggressive agenda. you do have a very cool back ground and you and I may have chewed a little bit of the same dirt....I am an Air Force Targeteer from way back, weaponeered a few million pounds of munitions that went on some enemy foreheads. I also understand the whole glass cockpit to analog controls from working with Reserve Pilots going from modern commercial jets to the 1961 B-52H technology on a regular basis. I do believe that it is hard to compare the boating industry to the avionics industry. Two completely different markets, income levels, and audiences. Your intentions are noble and very forward thinking....they will come to light as technology prices level out. Technology is a good thing but, I also stand with the crowd that would like to see things slow down....before long we will not even have to set the hook to catch a damn fish....fair chase is still alive in my blood. Rock on brother.....thank you for your work!

Elwood
    Elwood....Bass Cat Strong

2020 Bass Cat Eyra
    2020 Mercury 300R 4S (1E081080)
    Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

Rick and the folks at BCB have been doing this a long time and no dummies. They started out in a quanza hut, survived tornados, recessions and still continue to grow.

If you're looking to buy a bass boat I encourage all of you to tour every single boat manufacturers plant you can, take the tour. After your tour of BCB you'll be pulling out your checkbook.

Salute.

And for the record I'm a diehard ChampioN fan.

10. Member
    Technology has its benefits and it's downfalls. Glass cockpits and auto-flight systems have been great for the aviation industry, but it has also created pilots that cant fly when the Gameboy stops working. I have been in the industry for 31 yrs and watched it happen many times, sometimes with a very negative outcome.
    Auto-drive, back up cameras, blind spot indicators are nice, but are creating lazy drivers that need to be on a horse.
    Tesla is going down the same road as others that believe electric cars are next great thing. The Chevy Volt also crashed an burned. Without government subsidies they cant stay afloat.
    If Electric technology was the future, low fuel mileage pick-up trucks would not be leading those cars in sales by the hundreds of thousands every year.

New innovation does not always mean its good, or needed.

When it comes to a quality finished product, best material use, best build practices, balance of performance and tournament fishing decks, nothing comes close to a Bass Cat.
    I have yet to see a Vexus in person, but they lost me the minute they painted the boat in lieu of gelcoat.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

The market is simply to small to afford or profit from the types of innovations you mentioned. In 1992 we built the very first digital dashboard, ran by a computer and had it's own switching and gauges. Mind you that was when Windows 3.1 was "the Deal". Today the market has many challenges that don't allow affording that type of move. We stay out of the box and we are continuing to be so. We can achieve the market share we need being that "different" company with a different product. The percentage of the market we need doesn't require us to be more mainstream and those who choose to be different we welcome. The rest can ride in their boxes and replications happily, that's GREAT! We can't serve everyone and if we could the need for keeping that innovative edge is unsustainable. We are just growing the market as we can with our own direction.

Thank you,

12. Member
    I have owned Basscat, and it is built great. My biggest complaint has been the small seat holes, the lines or bolts on the side are choppy to get the prettiest combination of gel coat. As I have gotten older the trolling motor pedal was so far on the nose, that on a December day fishing by myself I was so concerned about getting thrown out by myself in the cold. Max HP is higher than the tournament trails I fish allow, which hurt the resale when you can’t rig it that way. I went through the new Lynx and was so close to buying one. I can’t understand all that detail and rubber and rod straps. i loved the company when I owned one.
    I hope their market grows bc the ownship of the majority market share of bass boats is about bottom line so much that I can’t think of a premium brand it has acquired in the last 20 years that quality did nothing but go down.
    I was so interested in Vexus bc of the history. I have been in one, on the water. The hull is built right and rivals Ranger. On my way to demo ride I was pretty set on buying one. Rode great, the pickle fork front is all that. I think if trolling motors and graphs stay the same that is the way to go. The wiring was amazing. Best out there. But for what they are asking they have a few finishing touches left. With the ice chest in the center console, left a void in maps, glasses, etc needs within reach. The passenger rod rack that straps the rods down is an ATV Koplin gun rack. The center drawer isn’t what it needs to be. And the paint left me concerned about excessive scratches and there is no trailering cover available as of April. That left me on hold.
    So then I went to buy another Ranger 521c as it has been the best boat I have owned. But good ole JM won’t let you get them with Talins and Evinrude. Those 2 options are not negotiable to me. So now I’m waiting for dealer meeting to be over to order 521L. It is best option available to me, but I don’t feel like I am going to get quality of what I have. I don’t have to run 75+, I have to have the best rough water boat that does the least amount of damage to me and my equipment

13. Member
    If you aren’t worried about speed and you want the best rough water ride I would encourage you to ride in a Legend. Obviously they don’t exist anymore, but just to put into perspective of what a great rough water ride can be like it’s worth the time to do so. I can almost guarantee you won’t be sorry. My tournament partner has a 521L and when the wind would blow on Lake Michigan we took my Legend when I had it. I really like the Bass Cat I have now but I am super excited to see what the future holds for new Jaguar.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fosterfence View Post
    I have owned Basscat, and it is built great. My biggest complaint has been the small seat holes, the lines or bolts on the side are choppy to get the prettiest combination of gel coat. As I have gotten older the trolling motor pedal was so far on the nose, that on a December day fishing by myself I was so concerned about getting thrown out by myself in the cold. Max HP is higher than the tournament trails I fish allow, which hurt the resale when you can’t rig it that way. I went through the new Lynx and was so close to buying one. I can’t understand all that detail and rubber and rod straps. i loved the company when I owned one.
    I hope their market grows bc the ownship of the majority market share of bass boats is about bottom line so much that I can’t think of a premium brand it has acquired in the last 20 years that quality did nothing but go down.
    I was so interested in Vexus bc of the history. I have been in one, on the water. The hull is built right and rivals Ranger. On my way to demo ride I was pretty set on buying one. Rode great, the pickle fork front is all that. I think if trolling motors and graphs stay the same that is the way to go. The wiring was amazing. Best out there. But for what they are asking they have a few finishing touches left. With the ice chest in the center console, left a void in maps, glasses, etc needs within reach. The passenger rod rack that straps the rods down is an ATV Koplin gun rack. The center drawer isn’t what it needs to be. And the paint left me concerned about excessive scratches and there is no trailering cover available as of April. That left me on hold.
    So then I went to buy another Ranger 521c as it has been the best boat I have owned. But good ole JM won’t let you get them with Talins and Evinrude. Those 2 options are not negotiable to me. So now I’m waiting for dealer meeting to be over to order 521L. It is best option available to me, but I don’t feel like I am going to get quality of what I have. I don’t have to run 75+, I have to have the best rough water boat that does the least amount of damage to me and my equipment
    Max allowable horsepower has nothing to do with what is actually hung on the back of the boat. It also has nothing to do with resale, unless you install above the allowable Tournament trail horsepower rating. Which is still a buyers choice.

The TM position on the Lynx (and I'm sure on the new Jag) are adjustable and can be moved aft.

Rubber? Rod straps? The bungee cord straps? versus what? Retracting straps? That is an option for buyers. I personally prefer the bungees. Fast and easy, and HOLD the rods. But BCB offers other options.

If your comparing the rough ride of a 20-21 foot Ranger to the Lynx or Jag you definitely need to ride or drive one. Ranger has some positive designs in their boats, it's rough water ride is not one of them. I am not in any way putting down Ranger, but if a good rough water ride is your deciding factor, than you owe it to yourself to drive a Lynx or wait till the new Jag (22 feet) is put into production.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Now the next question will be who wants the new 450 R on a Jaguar and the cost of that alone is more than some of the nationally advertised complete rigs.

We are sure that envelope will get pushed as the sales of engines above 250 horsepower has quintupled (5x Times) in the last five years. That market has been flourishing as they leave large Diesel engines in saltwater.

16. Member
    I was wondering if you guys would put a 450 rating on the new Jag with the new 450R out now. Wowza, that would be a hell of a rig. If any rig is worty, it is a Jag.

17. Member
    I WANT ONE!!!!! The wife would have an issue! But still...I want one!
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Now the next question will be who wants the new 450 R on a Jaguar and the cost of that alone is more than some of the nationally advertised complete rigs.

We are sure that envelope will get pushed as the sales of engines above 250 horsepower has quintupled (5x Times) in the last five years. That market has been flourishing as they leave large Diesel engines in saltwater.

That's insane!!! I would have never predicted that market growth. I guess that market has increased because there is a reliable engine solution now (relatively speaking). You've got to hand it to Merc for their new engines.

I guess turbine powered burning Jet-A is next.

The ride in my 2017 Jag is as good as it gets in a bass boat. The new 22 should ride as good or even better. Storage is unreal and still drives like a sports car for it's size. It will be interesting to hear some numbers with the 450. Best thing about BCB is that in a chop the boat is solid and isn't going to fall apart. The jag just blows the wave down. My friends are always impressed with how it handles rough water.

20. Member
    Let me guess.....You hate change. Maybe you should start selling bass boats.
    Change for changes sake is silly, quite frankly. Everyone wants "new and revolutionary" me? I'll take what works. Is there room for improvement? Sure, but change does NOT always equal better. And that's a fact.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast