Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Maxwell View Post
    This is why we should all come to a forum like this. The real life data is a $$$$ saver for us, life saver for others, and at the least will help somebody save a ton of time. Geoff is as good a man as he is a good boat testing fanatic guys. Can't fish for crap though. I've got some work to do on that part of his training. LOL
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

I now have well over 30 hours on the motor. The data logger is worn out and my butt is sore from all the early morning testing. I'm rotating spots to keep from irritating people early in the morning.

The last few days I have been testing the P4. It has been holding steady at 99.8 every time out. To me it's the best test wheel I have. It is just solid day in and day out. Plus it keeps the motor off the limiter. This prop went 101/102 easy with the 300XS DBR and I had assumed the R would do it as well. It has turned out to not be the case. Now to be fair, I only had the DBR starting last fall and Texas winter (Minnesota summer... LOL). I wasn't too worried about the speed. I was pretty sure it would happen this fall again when things cooled off.

Late this week I swapped out my manual 13.5' Hydrodynamic Rapid Jack for a custom static Hydrodynamics plate and 4" Bob's HD Extreme Gen 3 Hydraulic plate. Bob's rates the plate up to a 1000lb motor. It is super beefy. I bought spacers from Hydrodynamics to test 11" and 13", or 9.5" and 11.5" without the power poles.

For kicks I thought I would see what happened with the power poles off so I started at 11.5". I honestly wasn't expecting much since I fold the poles down to get them out of the wind for high speed passes and today I put more gas in the boat and added a few things since I was lighter. I planned to just make one pass and then fish..........

I was obviously shocked when I got to my test spot and let the motor breath and it hit 100mph at the snap of my fingers. I run in the same spot all the time. I take the turn and 85-90 and let it eat. This way I can see and feel what is going on. The stretch is only 3/4 of a mile long and I really have about 1/2 mile before I have to shut down and turn. I like the spot because it protects me from the wind and I can run in just about any wind within reason. All week I have been holding on until the last second and doing a quick shut down at 99.xxx right before the sharp turn. So when I hit 100 and I was only 1/2 way down I was a little shocked. I ran it out to 102 and turned around to see what it would do. Next pass was 103. I was fighting some left lean and just pushed past it. I would have gave it more trim to get the boat to level off, but everything is new and I was running 37psi of water pressure so the jackplate needed some tweaking before pushing on.

Since its a new plate and a lot has changed I decided instead of keeping at it I needed to get the acceleration on the data logger from a idle start. With no wind I moved and found a little more room to get it logged from 5-whatever it hit. I found room to go 5-102. If you have never done this test you only have one shot to trim and get it right. If you mess it up you will be slow in the low speeds or way out of sorts and have to get out when you get to the top end. If you trim its over and the data looks bad (slow). On the slower wheels this isn't an issue. It's pretty easy to hold on for 95. Getting a 100mph plus pass can be a little wild. Not only did I get it on the logger, but I got it on video. It was a special pass. My previous best was in Texas during the winter. That pass was on a 40 degree day with 50 degree water at 600' lower altitude with a slight tail wind. Today was smooth water, summer temps and humidity at a higher altitude.

My best 5-100 pass with the 300XS DBR was 38.24 seconds in 3,813'.
    Today my 5-100 pass with the 300R was 34.95 seconds in 3,333'.
    That was 3.29 seconds faster and in 480 less feet. That is a huge gain already and cooler temps and lower altitude are to come.

I was impressed so I thought I should blow off fishing and test another prop. Luckily my spare was a 32 Promax. It was equally as impressive. Last week for the 32P Shootout this same prop ran a best of 96.4. Today it hit 100. I have only run this prop on the R, so I can't compare vs. the 300XS DBR, but I can compare vs. the 300XS DBR running a 30P Promax.

13.5" with Power Poles 300R 32 Promax 5-95 36 seconds in 3,397 ft. Topped out at 96.4mph (4800')
    11.5" no Power Poles 300R 32 Promax 5-95 25.3 seconds in 2188 ft. Topped out at 100mph (4000')
    13.5" with Power Poles 300XS DBR 1.62 30 Promax 5-95 26.4 seconds in 2,215 ft. Topped out at 98.54mph (3780')

In addition, I put the batteries in the nose (140lbs) and made top end pass with the 32 Promax this morning as well. 97mph. Still faster than before changes.

The next challenge is to figure out why the speed and acceleration differences.
    -Is it in the setback
    -Is it the lack of the poles (100lbs total)
    -Is it the pole brackets digging in a take off impact holeshot times (creating a slower accel, no impact to topend)
    -Is it wind resistance on the poles despite being folded over
    -Is it motor height

More to test. I need to get the poles back on for the next tournament.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

A labor of love.
    thanks again. always look forward to your next update with a touch of jealousy..

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    A labor of love.
    thanks again. always look forward to your next update with a touch of jealousy..
    You will like this one.....

I thought I should have a little left and with some urging from a few friends I went out this morning to find it. We have storms moving in and unfortunately the temp and humidity was higher than yesterday. It took a little more time to string it out despite the changes I made in the boat.

I went out lithium battery testing this morning. I pulled my 140lb AGM batteries and replaced them with 60lbs of weight to represent lithium's (not sure if I'm going 1 or 2 yet). I started with the weight in the nose. First pass was 102. Second and third were 103. Water pressure was still high 30's.

I stopped and moved the weight to the back and adjusted the plate up 1/4". Made two more back to back 104 passes. This time all on the limiter and at 6.3% slip. Time for a bigger wheel!

That is a new personal best. The R is alive!!!!!

104 Data Graph.JPG
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

5. Member
    Looking like the 4 strokes are the ticket for the big Allisons. I wonder how they would compare to the 300X and 300XS on the bullets and strokers.

Allison should pay you for the Testing you do. Definitely have that boat figured out.

7. Member
    Great testing Geoff. Be safe and keep the data coming.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12