Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

300R Early Testing Results

Before I go any further let me give a huge thank you to Tim Powell and Fastbass Marine. Tim went above and beyond to help make this happen and I'm extremely grateful to him. That Joey guy is swell as well. I think he does all the work, Tim just sleeps in the boats..... Thank you to Glen Reynolds as well.

I picked up the 300R the Friday before Memorial weekend and I now have just over 10 hours on the motor. I'm extremely happy with the motor so far. It's an absolute beast.

Here are the positive highlights:
    -I came from 2.5's, offshore mids, and the 300X to the opti. This motor puts a smile on my face again.
    -It sounds absolutely bad azzzzz!!!! Especially when you trim it up in the early morning before a tournament launch. My son thinks it sounds so good he always wants to start it.
    -The auto start feature is so cool. Turn the key and it does the rest until it turns over.
    -It is loud when you want it to be loud and then it quiets down. People always ask me when I pull up and its trimmed down if its running.
    -The idle is super smooth.
    -I personally love the looks. So I'm a huge fan of it on the water and mounted to an Allison.
    -The entire motor wipes down so much easier as well at the end of a long day because it is essentially two huge covers (top and bottom).
    -I think the larger gear case cruises better at 40-60 as well. It feels planted and much more stable. I have found I now go on lake cruises with friends and it just holds and maneuvers well.
    -I'm new to 1.75 gears. I have only run them one time when we swapped Jay's gear case to my boat to gather performance data prior to the switch. I'm struggling to stay off the limiter, but since this motor lets you run on the limiter and pulls power back I like that better than the hitting the opti limiter and getting shut down.
    -No oil and 87 octane. Man it is so nice to put the same gas in the truck and boat finally.

The dislikes (short list)

-Rigging this thing is an absolute pain in the butt. My motor took over 6 hours to hang. I have swapped a handful of motors and this one was the worse. The cable entry sucks. They leave you no room and the little opening you work inside of isn't prepped well so you sand skin away working in the hole. When it is all done it looks awesome, but getting it to that point is painful. I will say they do a couple of smart things to assist, but expect to spend some time on it. If you are doing a re-power, your throttle cables may be too short as well. I had to "Git-R-Done" with some unorthodox routing and someone else I know did as well.
    -It is huge. Not only is it big, but it is heavy. I will cover weight below. Because it is big my power pole setup is very close to the motor. I have already hit the cowl one time when folding them down for running and some bodywork was needed and a little decal magic.
    -The cowl is a bugger to get on. The setup is really cool, its just hard to get back on. Maybe its just mine, but I cross my fingers every time I take it off that it will latch again.
    -Break in. I drove 2 hours on a 1,500 acre chain of 3 lakes. Each lake is about 500 acres. That was 2 hours of circles on Memorial weekend. The motor couldn't wait to be opened up and neither could I. LOL
    -I had to sell 2 of my favorite props. 26 Hoss and 28 P3. I didn't even run them. It was very clear it would blow the doors off of them.

Performance:
    My boat is setup different than all that I know of. I run 13.5" of setback and the plate is manual not hydraulic. I also have wedges. This distance and manual plate worked fine for the 300XS DBR. I did notice the holeshot got worse when I went back that far and added the power poles, but the DBR made up for it and my setup was running very good. Unfortunately the weight of the 300R is a problem for this amount of setback. The motor is a solid 50lbs heavier and I don't think losing the oil tank helped as I lost forward weight to counter the motor with all the setback. As a result I have to vent all my props to see similar holeshot performance. I realize others with the R are not doing that, but with this much setback it was a must. I'm running 8 open holes on my 28, 30, and 32 Promax. Because of the weight and setback the nose goes sky high when launching. All the props I have do this. I tried adding 160lbs up in the nose and that didn't really help. The setup is going to have to change to get around this. In addition, when tournament fishing I'm forced to run a 28 to get me, a full livewell, and a 300lb partner out of the hole. Luckily we only fish 1000 acre lakes so I go less than a half tank of gas.

If I ignore holeshot the performance is equal to that of the 300XS DBR so far. They are neck and neck with the 30. So I honestly cannot get supper fired up about the acceleration or performance, the opti with DBR was pretty dang good. Especially with the 1.75 case. My DBR (1.62)with a 28 promax was lethal and could put the hurting on the R so far. It would run 97 @ 6400 rpm and do it wicked quick. The 300R needs a 32 promax to get over 95, and the 32 is not near as quick to do it. But that is with the same setup that it took the Opti to be quick and fast, now it is time to change things to make the R quick and fast (below). What does excite me about the performance so far is that the motor is stock and I have a warranty and it is virtually running with a modified motor that took a years worth of setup to get it dialed in to be quick and fast. In addition, if I look at it vs. a stock 300XS, the R has much better performance. From a Mercury marketing perspective I believe the spin.

Here is a test with the 30 Promax. The boat weight and setup was identical for all tests. The only change was the motor.

Stock 300XS 1.62 in Red
    DBR 300XS 1.62 in Blue
    DBR 300XS 1.75 in Green
    Stock 300R 1.75 in Orange

The vertical line marks the spot the data at the bottom of the table is reading below the graph. The graph can be deceiving as it is speed vs time. distance vs time is the bottom graph. That is the true "race" if you will. You can see the 300R and 300XS DBR 1.75 are right on each other for distance.

The 300R and 300XS DBR 1.75 were very close in speed vs time. While the R got out a little slower it pulled through the mid range and hit the limiter at 95 24' behind the 300XS DBR 1.75. The DBR 300 died at 62/6300 which is why you see the acceleration slow way down after 93/94. You can see the R pulled right up to the 6400 rev limiter.

You can also see how much the DBR helped on the 30 when you look at the Red vs Blue. The DBR was 9mph faster at 26 seconds and over 600' out in front. Even a 100' lead takes a long time to catch, I wish I had kept the 300R on the limiter to show how long it takes to close. I may re-do that run in the morning. The point is clear. The R really pulls the props on top. You can see the XS rate of change slows way down.

Now that I have logged all the props (28,30,32 Promax, 32 P4, 34 P3) with the same setup as the 300XS, I will begin to optimize my setup for the R. Testing on Tim's boat with a 300R produced a much better holeshot (just under 2 seconds faster in 5-85) and we could launch the same 30 Promax used on my boat with all the plugs in. I have a new hydraulic jackplate coming as well as a static setback plate so I can keep my powered holeshot plate(without the foil it now works). I'm going back to 10". I did a bunch of acceleration testing early on and my boat was the quickest at that distance and Tim's boat is at 9.5", so that validates well.

It also appears that the older long skid planner without the concave center is keeping the engine from being raised. I will be cutting the concave in the skid planner to allow higher motor heights. Right now I run out of water pressure at 1.5" over. That is still 0.7" higher than I was running before.

I'm sure a new prop will make its way into testing as well. Maybe a 5 blade. So far the Promax has tested well against the Max 5.

More to follow.

And yes, I took it over 100.

IMG_3756.jpg
    IMG_3771.jpg
    IMG_4111.jpg
    30 Promax.JPG
    Last edited by River Rocket; 06-08-2019 at 08:56 PM.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

2. Member
    Awesome Geoff & thanks for your attention to detail!
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

Thanks Geoff .. You never cease to amaze .
    Going to pick up my new boat on the 25th. As you know getting an R motor right now is like hitting the lottery.
    My source said at least Mercury has quit BS them as to when they would get some motors -- Now they say "I don't know"-- With that I'm going to rig it with my 3.2 ltr.. My thoughts right now are to get a 250 so I won't be limited on some tournaments. But if a 300 comes available first I might not be able to hold myself back.
    Would be interesting to be able to compare my stock 3.2 ltr against a 250 R

Woody has done that switch between 300xs and 250R. He would be a good one to talk with. I sent you a Facebook PM on your PM.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

More Fastbass Marine Skunkworks testing over the weekend. Things are a changing!!!!

Forward weight seems to be the key to V8 worthy holeshots!!!!

I will put a graph together
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

7. Member
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

LOL Dan.

The latest round of tests were to fix the holeshot issue. When I say issue I should be clear. The 300R was hitting 5-85 times in the 18's consistently. That is really good. Any number under 20 seconds is solid. I want the number to be down in the 17's like my 300XS DBR was with the 28 promax. On a cool morning it could do 16's. If I was going to line up with anyone that would have been the prop I would run (probably why I never took it off). I was expecting the 300R to do it right away. This assumption was based on testing we did on Tim Powell's new boat. When I drove Tim's boat I got it to run 17's with little to no setup with 2 different props (my 30 Promax, and a Max 5). However his boat wasn't loaded to fish. I unfortunately didn't test it again loaded at Smoke on the Water. I should have.

When looking at the data you could see the issue is all in the 5-15 mph split. If you were driving the boat you would know it as well, because any prop larger than a 28 causes the nose to point towards the clouds. I tried all the easy stuff to get the nose down at take off. Even going as far to toss 160lbs up in the nose. Nothing worked. I made modifications to my powered holeshot plate to make it work with the new setup and was able to help a little, but it wasn't enough. Plus the plate moves slow and I don't want to put a plate down and mash a bunch of buttons every time I put the boat on the pad. That left the hard stuff. Add a foil and move the trolling batteries to the nose.

First up was adding a foil. If you don't want to mess up the lines on the new case or risk warranty issues this is a bugger. I will leave it at I came up with a new way to mount a foil. Its pretty slick. The foil I have is a prototype of one done for Nathan's boat. It works good on his boat, but I would prefer it to be a little larger. For the test it worked. The foil kept the nose down a little and improved the 5-15 times.
    I still wanted more.

The next step was to pull one trolling motor battery and move it to the nose. One battery in the nose instantly fixed most of the issue. The question became would 2 in the nose make it even better. The answer to that was yes.

Here is the break down of all the tests with the 30 Promax. This is times from 5-15 mph. I run the test with the same gear in the boat and I have a line on my tank for verifying gas level is consistent.

4.3s - 4 open PVS holes
    3.6s - 8 open PVS holes
    3.23s - 8 open PVS holes and foil
    2.94s - 8 open PVS holes, foil, 1 battery in nose
    2.57s - 8 open PVS holes, foil, 2 batteries in nose
    3.1s - 8 open PVS holes, foil, 2 batteries in nose 28 gallons of water in the livewell!!!! That's another 200 plus pounds and it got out faster and with no nose to the clouds than the 8 PVS baseline setup. Not to mention it did a 20 second 5-85.

Moving all the batteries forward fixed the holeshot, but did slow the boats acceleration down after 60 mph. I started experimenting with more trim and the times got better. I will need to play with this more after I get the batteries secured in place. For now I'm pretty excited about the results. While the times were similar the distance traveled is what counts. Moving the batteries up front ended up putting the boat out in front of the baseline 8PVS setup by over 60'.

In addition, the boat now blasts out of the hole at neutral trim (6.9). I tried attempting other trim numbers before and not going to happen. I needed to be fully tucked (I have wedges as well).

The boat feels alive and like I have big power on the back.

At this point the motor is tied with the 300XS DBR with 1.75's. Interesting enough its exactly the same run. In all the runs I have data logged I have never seen this. This graph is 300XS DBR 1.75's vs 300R 1.75. 4 Months separate these runs. This was the best run the 300DBR ever made with the 30 promax at 600' lower elevation (so it should be faster and quicker). The runs are the exact same. It is a tie. What you don't see off the page is the 300R bangs the limiter 6 seconds after hitting 92. The 300xs is another 8 seconds behind that to hit 6400 (maxed out). By the time the 300XS hits 95 it is 100' behind the 300R.

300XS DBR 1_75 vs 300R 1_75.JPG
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

9. Member
    Very amazing info. It takes patience and dedication to put this type of data together. Congrats Geoff, keep up the good work.

10. Member
    Geoff.... I can't help but wonder what the lip reduction would do to the nose wanting to shoot for the sky.... as we all know... these boats weren't originally designed for such strong power sources... hmmm
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

11. Member
    Good data, but looks like I might be better off going DBR on my 300XS. You mentioned the 300R was a good 50 lbs heavier. It's advertised as about the same weight.
    Do you have the real world weights of the motors?
    Also, what level DBR were you running?

Dan, good question. I think the lip may play a bigger factor on the top with all the power, but I don’t know if it makes a difference at holeshot like on the lighter drag boats. Even my huge moving holeshot plate struggles to make a difference if I have a foil on. Really not sure. It’s just a really difficult mod to come back from. All remaining tweaks are difficult (pad, moving batteries, adjusting setback). We are testing in the morning on another xb21 with 300R. He saw much improvement when loading up the nose as well.

John. The weight came from Randy at Liberator. He had a weight post on S&F. I had what is shown on the DBR site as the 1.1 kit. I bought the flywheel from madefi. The 300xs DBR vs 300R has a lot of factors that go beyond one test. the motor only has 10 hours and I’m just beginning to modify the setup to make the best use of the power. I’m sure this fall when it cools off the R will overtake the DBR. The real test is in two weeks when I run the 1000’ radar run race.
    Last edited by River Rocket; 06-11-2019 at 09:10 PM.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

I've heard rumors that the advertised wt was just the motor.
    No LU no fluids.

Another thing that appeals to me about the new 4 stroke is NO oil to burn and the low octane fuel.
    When comparing the 3.2 ltr 2 stroke to the new 4.6 ltr 4 stroke... Look at what some upgrades did for the Yamaha 4 stroke.. It's only a mater of time.

Nose weight seems to be the key with the R on my setup. I made switch the batteries to the nose yesterday. What a chore. I now have 144lbs of batteries in the nose.

In truth I went crazy on this modification. When I wired the batteries in I made it so I could start off the front troller battery. Now I can pull the starting battery and the other troller and turn a switch to start off the front troller. This is for race light times: center steer, no gear, and one battery in the nose to tame the beast. I tested it tonight and set a personal record for 5-85mph with the boat cleaned out ready to race (races are next weekend).

I really dig this battery in the nose thing. I'm fishing a tournament tomorrow and will have a 280lb passenger. I expect the boat to do well. I want to be able to run a 30p promax in tournaments. This change should do that.

IMG_4309.jpg
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

17. Member
    Amazed at the data share RR, thanks a million!
    Carte's Custom

18. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    Need a little more info on the prototype foil.

First up was adding a foil. If you don't want to mess up the lines on the new case or risk warranty issues this is a bugger. I will leave it at I came up with a new way to mount a foil. Its pretty slick. The foil I have is a prototype of one done for Nathan's boat. It works good on his boat, but I would prefer it to be a little larger. For the test it worked. The foil kept the nose down a little and improved the 5-15 times.

19. Member
    This is why we should all come to a forum like this. The real life data is a $$$$ saver for us, life saver for others, and at the least will help somebody save a ton of time. Geoff is as good a man as he is a good boat testing fanatic guys. Can't fish for crap though. I've got some work to do on that part of his training. LOL

20. BBC SPONSOR

Thanks for all of the help Geoff.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast