starting problem on 2003 200 optimax

ser. ot674103 I HAVE PUSH BUTTON PANEL WHEN I PRESS THE START BUTTON THE STARTER CRANKS THE ENGINE FINE, IT HAS ALWAYS STARTED IMMEDIATELY BUT NOW I HAVE TO PRESS 2 OR 3 OR 4 TIMES BEFORE IT STARTS. AFTER IT STARTS IT RUNS FINE. TODAY I DISCOVERED THAT IF I PRESS THE START BUTTON THEN PRESS THE STOP BUTTON THEN PRESS THE START BUTTON AGAIN IT STARTS FINE. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Are you pumping the bulb up first?
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    yes, i always pump before launching

4. Member
    Does the motor have spark, when the problem occurs?

Can you hear the fuel pumps running, when the problem occurs?

5. Member
    i can hear the fuel pumps running, but i haven't checked spark. i really don't think spark is a problem because it runs fine once it starts but i will check the spark tommorrow. thanks for the advice.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Perhaps try explaining exactly what is occurring again. Is the problem a failure of the Starter to Spin, or a failure of the engine to fire off even though the starter is spinning?

Battery LOAD TESTED? Results in CCA?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    the starter is spinning, but the engine doesn't start un til i press the starter several times. I can hold the start button and the starter spins as long as I hold it. If I press the stop button then start button it starts right up.

8. Member
    Is the MOTOR spinning with the STARTER, when the problem occurs?

9. Member
    yes the motor is spinning

10. Member
    You will also need to know the air and fuel pressures as the problem is occurring.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    May also want to obtain a transom-mounted (test) keyswitch harness to see if the problem continues or ceases.

MAY possibly be in the boat harness, touchpad, or module.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    I checked for spark today, no spark. If I switch it off and back on it has spark. also I noticed no warning horn at first. then after switching off and back on the alarm sounds. maybe i need to take it to a dealer to run a test on ecu.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Probably either the BOAT Touchpad system OR the MPR.

As suggested- Transom Mounted Keyswitch Harness will quickly point to one or the other as the culprit.

14. Member
    I accidentally left the switch on last nite and today it seems to have repaired itself. I hope to run it tomorrow and check it out. I don't know why. I also don't have a transom mounted key switch harness so I will have to take it somewhere to have that test. hopefully it has healed itself., but it will probably retiurm. Thanks for all the help. I will keep ypu posted.

15. Member
    It did NOT heal itself, and will eventually leave you stranded on the water.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 06-24-2019 at 05:53 PM. Reason: "It" (not "I").

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    It did NOT heal itself, and will eventually leave you stranded on the water.
    ^^^^
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 06-24-2019 at 05:53 PM.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

17. Member
    i fished yesterday, it didnt start at first but after it started the first time, it worked good all the rest of the day. hard to find a problem when it changes off and on.

18. Member
    True, but be prepared.