Thread: Steady alarm

Steady alarm

2B571507. Making a run on Champlain this morning (65mph, 5600rpm) my 2019 Pro XS 250 suddenly produced a steady warning horn and went into guardian mode. Vessel view showed about 136 degrees which I believe is normal which I had just looked at as I was keeping an eye on water pressure and temp. After a few minutes I tried starting again, motor started easily, purred like a kitten, put it in gear and tried to get going only to have the alarm go off again. Telltale was peeing well and water temp was going from 144 to 133 degrees. Then I saw it! Volts were at 18.1 on the Vessel View. Does this mean my voltage regulator crapped out and is this why the motor shut down? Entry down the drain and a 10 mile Ultrex troll to the nearest ramp, love that Ultrex, hit constant and the North button and point it towards the horizon and let it take you home at 2mph. Tried restarting a number of times and watched the volts go from 13 to 18 each time, horn would sound and guardian would kick in, Awesome morning!!

Local dealer had issues with one and it turned out one of the wires in the plug for the alternator wasn’t pushed all the way in. Something to look at

3. mikesxpress
    A level one Merc monitor shows the alarm code and condensed text of the alarm info. The vessel view doesn't?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    May not have looked that deep.

Get it checked- make sure the battery terminal connections and cables at the engine are propertly connected and tight.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thanks Don, Mikesxpres and Northwoodswalleye. Got a dealer who said they will look at it today. Ill let you know what they find. Hope its as easy as you guys are saying.

6. Member
    So the marina has told me they have ordered an alternator along with a new belt. Got a tournament this weekend in Canada, they said they ordered it as an "emergency order" overnight which I agreed to pay for. What do you think my chances of getting the part from Mercury with that order status? This was an email sent to me from the marina which I responded to "do they have it in stock?". never got a reply back. Wonder if Merc will step up to the plate and get that thing out the door if they have it?
    Last edited by fuelleak; 06-12-2019 at 02:29 PM.

7. Member
    Woodard's Marine on Lake Bomoseen, VT has emailed me and said they have confirmed the parts they need will be in mid day tomorrow. Im telling ya, this marina is not your average business. These guys are hustling for me and deserve a shout out in customer care and service. Thanks Lauren and Matt!!Im crossing my fingers Im on the road by Friday morning!! Anybody in Southern Vermont need a helping hand these guys are worth a call. I know they are full on smart with Mercury and Honda and believe they have just included Yamaha as well into their service vocabulary.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    These guys got me on the road Thursday night. Headed to Canada for an a PBC. New alternator (really the regulator) and motor ran flawlessly. Don if you see this, can you tell me if my Vessel View mobile is reading oil pressure correctly. I have 70psi at idle and 90ish running higher rpm. Could this possibly be true psi? Seems odd to have that much oil pressure and not get seal issues and blow by? Is the monitor giving me BS reading? Thanks

10. mikesxpress
    What do the gages and/or Merc monitor say?

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Service Manual Says:

"Idle Oil Pressure: 21 - 95 psi range"

"WOT Oil Pressure: 58 - 130 psi range".

Engine Temp will affect oil pressure (likely higher when cold).

12. Member
    Jeezums! That baby is under some pressure. Thanks Don..